Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Solo Challenge

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Default The Solo Challenge

I don't know why but Solo character challenges appeal more to me than other types of challenge, so ive decided to hit another game with it. This being my first attempt at it with FFXII, i'm looking to make it go as smoothly as possible so i'll abuse every trick i know. Power levelling, Main Gauche + shield combo, aquiring powerful weapons and relics early etc. If i can get through the whole game, i'd like to add more limitations like i did with my FFV solo challenge.

There isn't much to report as of yet (A couple of hours in) because you play with just vaan for the initial part of the game anyway. When Penelo joined, it wouldn't let me put her in reserve so i had to smack her up a bit till she passed out > Then pinched her stuff to sell for a few extra gil

Ive chained some wolves and hyenas to rack up almost 6000 Gil, and hit level 6. I havn't been very smart in my LP spending, so far only buying the licenses for cotton cap and poach, neither of which i really want. I was using Poach as a path to reach the battle lore licenses but it gets expensive quickly on that route. And i got the license for cotton cap after a hyena dropped one but turns out they're a bit naff.

Got my sunstone now anyway so will move on tomorrow.

I'm not too convinced i'll finish the game though. The Demon wall and Mandragoras scare me a little

Articles
    Blog Entries

Are you gonna go Dustia leveling? Cause if you do, it'll probably be a lot easier.
    My advise would be getting the Zodiac Spear before fighting the Mandragoras, I did it on my last two playthroughs and I never had any problems storyline-wise anymore. It should (hopefully) let you beat the Mandragoras easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Karifean View Post
    Are you gonna go Dustia leveling? Cause if you do, it'll probably be a lot easier.
    My advise would be getting the Zodiac Spear before fighting the Mandragoras, I did it on my last two playthroughs and I never had any problems storyline-wise anymore. It should (hopefully) let you beat the Mandragoras easily.
    I wasn't planning on Dustia levelling, but i'm definitley considering it now.

I had planned to wipe out the mandragors by powering up a Dark Matter if i could get my hands on one. I would think i would otherwise be put to an end quickly by status ailments.

But demon wall... even if it was possible a single character could inflict enough damage to kill him before being crushed, i still have to worry about his instant death attack which their is no way to protect against. All i can really do here is level level level.

I should note that i'm not using quickenings in this challenge, (or espers which is probabley obvious.)

I figured out how i can get a nihopalaoa. Either kill 10 Marks and buy one for 30,000 Gil, which could be tricky as a few of these marks are pretty tough even with a full party. Or Aquire a few Blood Stained Necklaces, a couple of Deaths heads and a few Leo Gems. This means getting as far as the Golmore jungle for the Deaths Heads, and getting the rarest steal from some Dino type enemies.

Havn't geared her up today yet, will do so now and abuse the Dustia trick. I havn't done this before but ive read about it. It's as simple as getting to less than 10% of my HP and pheonix downing his ass as soon as he appears right? I imagine there's some LP benefit in there too?

Articles
    Blog Entries

He gives ~1100 EXP and 3 LP upon death. You should always take things he drops, and don't forget to use the respawn bug so you can chain him. Each book he drops is worth about 2 Phoenix Downs. Btw, you can buy Phoenix Down afaik only in the Westernsand Shop, which can also be used to avoid breaking the chain - you can easily get a chain of 100+ on Dustia. Only thing that might be annoying is that you can't use Gambits yet.

When you say you're playing without Quickenings, do you still allow yourself to learn them to massively boost MP?

He gives ~1100 EXP and 3 LP upon death. You should always take things he drops, and don't forget to use the respawn bug so you can chain him. Each book he drops is worth about 2 Phoenix Downs. Btw, you can buy Phoenix Down afaik only in the Westernsand Shop, which can also be used to avoid breaking the chain - you can easily get a chain of 100+ on Dustia. Only thing that might be annoying is that you can't use Gambits yet.

When you say you're playing without Quickenings, do you still allow yourself to learn them to massively boost MP?
    I still plan to aquire the licenses for quickenings, i don't want to make things too hard on myself. What sort of level should i aim for with Dustia chaining?

I chained about 18 getting to level 16 and making my 6000Gil back that i invested in pheonix downs. Got lucky and bagged a flame staff after my first kill too. I'm feeling really twitchy at running around on low HP when Dustia keeps aiming Dark spells at me though =/ he occasionally teleports midway through charging his spell and i panick and run lol. Am fighting the urge to save now while i restock on pheonix downs to continue the chain

EDIT: OK scratch all that, damn power cable came out and now i gotta do it again. Damn that's so pissin annoying. Should've saved. Well, here i go again...
    Last edited by Shin Gouken; 03-28-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd aim for level 30-50 (For a solo challenge maybe 35-50, though, I'm not sure). I myself am currently trying the "Perfecter Game", so I'm going up for the 70-80's. You can get to Level 99 if you want, but keep in mind, it takes a HELL lot of time. Level 99 could take up to a month, depending on how much you play.

Once you get the hang of it, you actually don't need to save between Dustia runs. When I started, I saved often, but now I think I regret doing that.

I'd aim for level 30-50 (For a solo challenge maybe 35-50, though, I'm not sure). I myself am currently trying the "Perfecter Game", so I'm going up for the 70-80's. You can get to Level 99 if you want, but keep in mind, it takes a HELL lot of time. Level 99 could take up to a month, depending on how much you play.

Once you get the hang of it, you actually don't need to save between Dustia runs. When I started, I saved often, but now I think I regret doing that.
    Wow, isn't that a bit OTT? I don't want to suck ALL the fun out of the challenge

A perfect game should be pretty easy for you. The Dustia chaining trick will nab you lots of High Arcana, you can get souls of Thamasa that way and of course your grand armour. Ive played a perfect game... almost. All i can say is, if you aren't great at pirate olympics, don't miss your one and only chance of getting Orthros's rare steal =/

Well chained 15 and accidently broke it so ive re-stocked on pheonix downs and saved. Back to it i guess. I'll go for as long as i can without getting too bored, but i'll leave a save file here incase i'm having my arse handed to me by one of the upcoming boss battles

After a lengthy break to play FFXIII and a break from gaming in general, ive decided to resume this challenge.

I figured this would be somewhat harder than my FFV solo challenge and i didn't want to go in blind so i googled FFXII solo challenge and found... this thread i can't be the only fool to try this! I'll apreciate any help i can get so any veterans out there please don't be shy about offering advice.

I'm ready to speak to Dalan and sneak into the palace. Wish me luck please
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Gah, I was going for a Balthier solo, but my grandpa took the PS2 only about twelve hours in or so, so I haven't been able to continue with it. Some of the different bosses and stuff are going to be a pain, so just level, level, level.

Good luck with this :</>D!

Thanks Mogi

Ive been lazy tonight, just chatted to people in Rabanastre and chained some rats in the garamsythe waterway because i was preoccupied chatting on msn and not paying that much attention. The only constructive thing i did tonight was bag a Mage Masher from a chest which increases my attack a little and gives me added effect of silence.

More soon.
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

Slowly making progress. I blitzed the palace and stormed into the sewers and fought the miniboss group of flans. I'm level 18 so they took 5-6 hits each. The mage masher saved me from being blinded by silencing them that's all for now

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Are you going to do the mad dash through the feywood to avoid the elder wrym?

Quote Originally Posted by qwertysaur View Post
    Are you going to do the mad dash through the feywood to avoid the elder wrym?
    Haha yes! I may come back when i have a Ribbon, but he inflicts so many multiple status' i don't much fancy my chances going head to head without a Ribbon

Firemane - Mage Masher shows its worth for a second time by silencing him, preventing his Fire spell. With him relying on physical attacks i at least have a chance to block with my shield. I had to use 5 high potions throughout the battle which i'm not too happy about, but normal potions and cure don't give back enough HP (Firemane hit's for about 60HP and the delay time/animation time means i take two hits) A steady 5 minute battle

Mimic Queen

I gave up after attempt number one, when i ran out of MP and Potions. I only had her down to half her HP so i needed a new plan. I'm only level 19, i should have aimed for a few more levels when Dustia levelling.

But i'm sitting on quite a few license points so here's how i spent them hoping to turn this fight around.

I opened up a gambit slot to reach a Magick Lore. All this does is have Cure heal an extra 10HP but every little helps. The Gambit slot also led to a Battle Lore which will give my attack a small boost. I then opened a Remedy Lore in order to reach Shield Block. I blocked a number of attacks in round one (Including the MQ's Ground Shaker) so this should help me block some more.This led to another Battle Lore slightly increasing my attack again. Which finally led to an extra 100HP. Hopefully this is enough to put the odds a little more in my favour but if not i'll go kill 50 enemies for the LP and open up a quickening for the boost in MP which certainly should make a difference.

It's worth mentioning that had i bought the Blizzard and Protect spells i wouldn't be struggling right now so ive made this battle harder on myself by rushing into it. There hasn't been an opportunity to go back to Nalbina for the spells since breaking into the palace so i really should of thought that through a little more. Anyway, onto round two...