Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite anime

Banned

Ok rad, I will sadly admit that I once watched that show back when their were only 5, who in the crap are the rest of those ppl (or are there multiple shows represented in that picture.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Death Note
    Berserk

There's not a lot that I like.

What are you looking for? Action? Thinker? Ecchi/moe?

I would have to say, that Boku no Pico will always fill your needs.

any of the above (though I'm not sure what moe is) most important would be the characters, that's all it really takes for a good manga, well that and a hint of creativity

The undead - you seem to like the darker side, but both are pretty good, have you tried Full metal alchemist? seems right up your ally

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    When I was 7 that show used to scare the heck out of me. It still does. D:
    If you haven't figured out what my favorite anime is by now, then you're just not going to get it.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Any anime I ever like is quickly overshadowed by the manga version of it.

I would love to finish watching Outlaw Star one day, for the nostalgia value. Cowboy Bebop looks good, too. Evangelion was a head-smurf and I don't really want to see that ever again in my life. What else... Oh yeah, I watched a bit of Samurai Champloo but it got boring when the plot grinded to a halt about four episodes in.
    jkhkjg

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Eagle: haruhi order or Kyon order? A lot hangs in the balance based on the answer to this question

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by docta fizz View Post
    Ok rad, I will sadly admit that I once watched that show back when their were only 5, who in the crap are the rest of those ppl (or are there multiple shows represented in that picture.
    No, it's all Sailor Moon. You should be able to recognize some of the characters, but as the show went on, they continued the pattern of having more warriors representing the rest of the planets.

Quote Originally Posted by docta fizz View Post
    any of the above (though I'm not sure what moe is) most important would be the characters, that's all it really takes for a good manga, well that and a hint of creativity
    Though most of these are anime, based on your list, I would recommend Code Geass, seasons 1 and 2. The anime and the manga deal with different storylines, but they would fit under the shows that you've watched before and based on your request. Nearly all of the Code Geass characters are memorable. Fate/Stay Night might also interest you; though, as an anime, it only exists because it is the precursor to the vastly, indubitably, infinitely superior Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. A lot of people have also been telling you to watch Cowboy Bebop. Do so; the show is easily described as an action-packed space opera.

Baccano! with its ensemble cast may also interest you, as the cast are all-out nuts, and the plot is just plain cool. If you dislike time-skips and broken story-telling, this may not be for you. Samurai Champloo also falls into the same vein as Cowboy Bebop, except it's not mercenaries in space, it's more like mercenary samurai in old-school Japan, an action-packed hip-hop opera. Higurashi has also been mentioned. If you like time loops or murderous women, then I can recommend it with a resounding "yes." I personally found this show overhyped, but Elfen Lied may also interest you, under the header of "women and blood."

There's also Higashi no Eden, but the story feels extremely incomplete without the last two movies, despite how awesome it was with just eleven episodes.

It'll be a while before you watch any of these, but my absolute favorite other than Air, Clannad, and Cardcaptor Sakura (which I know you won't watch any time soon), is a series of movies called Kara no Kyoukai. Seven movies amounting to about eight hours of magical investigation, blood, supernatural phenomena, blood, a girl with a knife that can kill anything that is flawed/has a concept of death, and blood. Ohh, also, there's a scene in which a sister hits her brother in the face with a book for even considering being gay, along with rape as a form of fan disservice. Do want.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiesaur View Post
    Eagle: haruhi order or Kyon order? A lot hangs in the balance based on the answer to this question
    I think it would depend more on whether or not he is suggesting the original light novels or the first season of the anime. The original airing order is superior on the first watch-through, though.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I generally like Anime/Manga that has a strong element of characters training and getting stronger. Dus Ex Machina strength gains don't put me off, (I am a DBZ fan) but when the characters only seem to get stronger by sudden changes and haven't been putting serious time in training it makes me lose respect for them, and hence interest in the series. I also tend to like ones that have characters more on the calculating side, as opposed to ones I feel like throttling.

I'll rate all of them, even the ones everyone has seen so you can get an idea of what I like about them to see if our preferences are similar.

Anime I really like:
    Full Metal Alchemist Original & Brotherhood
    Unfortunately the original FMA suffered from a lot of filler until it broke away from the manga plot, but was quite good after that. FMAB is all awesome though. Only thing I don't like is Manga iconography (sweatdroping at crap) ruining the overall seriousness of the series.

Gundam Wing/Seed/Seed Destiny
    Giant robots killing each other is cool, end of story. I loved the characters in Wing, it is something I would watch even if they didn't have Gundams to begin with. The characters in Seed are a little too much of crybabys for me to get as into, but it was very enjoyable over all.

Dragon Ball Kai
    For those of you who don't know, they have begun to re-release DBZ in Japan, re-editig it for 16:9 and with the goal of editing it down to ~half the episodes. With all the filler crap removed it is a much more enjoyable experience for those of you who were turned off by the original DBZ. (or the NA broadcasts, which were even worse). Aside from the flashy fights, what I like most about the series is how it spans years of training an getting stronger. Unfortunately it is only available as a fan dub, which sucks because it is all orchestral music in the style of the original Japanese DBZ, and imo the music in the NA release was much better.

Naruto first 125 episodes in japanese
    The NA broadcast of Naruto was a crime against humanity, and after ep 125 the series becomes nothing more than stupid filler. As it started out I though it was excellent in terms of making you identify with all of the characters, even though you didn't like a lot of them from first impression. It is the only coming of age story I have probably ever liked. The music and choreography are also excellent.

Cowboy Bebop
    A nice unconventional anime. Unfortunately the series wasn't longer.

Manga I really like
    Naruto
    Unfortunately the anime started to suck hardcore, but the manga kept moving on strong.

Full Metal Alchemist
    Said most of what I had to say in the anime section

History’s Strongest Deciple Kenchi
    A cliché story about a loser kid who starts taking martial arts at a super dojo and becomes involved in all sorts of crazy fights. What I like about it is how it strongly showcases the training he has to undergo. There isn’t any Dus Ex Machina, just him getting progressively stronger from intense training in-between encounter. Unfortunately Ecchi makes it a little hard to take seriously at times.

Psyren
    Hey Zombiesaur, another Psyren fan! This series is awesome. A bunch of kids keep getting pulled back and forth to this apocalyptic future, but will be killed if they tell anyone. As they go back and forth they must find out what happened in the future and figure out how to stop it. The interesting part is that every time they go back to the past they change the future, which gives them more information as to what to do next. And there is of course super powers that they get from being in the future.

Death Note
    I loved Light as a character, so cunning. He is one of the few characters I can watch and not think ‘why would you do that, you idiot!’. Everything he does has me impressed with him, and when he has to match wits with someone as crafty as he is, well the series really gets awesome.

Manga I also read:
    Bleach - don't like it enough for 22 minutes a week, but keeps me entertained for the two it takes me to read it
    Hajime no Ippo - never thought I would have liked a story about straight up real world boxing. Lots of focus on the training.
    Veritas - I'm a sucker for stories about training to be a supernaturaly strong martial artist,
    Last edited by VeloZer0; 04-03-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Default I don't really care much about most of those

out now...

Other than naruto.

and the avatar before it ended.

I probably will go to the movies and see the movie when it comes out.

I did like Dragon Ball when it first came out...loved it in fact and years ago Robotech.

Dragonball kai is coming to nicktoons in May:

Dragon Ball Z Kai Anime to Air on Nicktoons TV: Nicktoons to Broadcast Latest DBZ Anime in May 2010

Last edited by ANGRYWOLF; 04-03-2010 at 04:15 AM. Reason: dragonball kai info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiesaur View Post
    Eagle: haruhi order or Kyon order? A lot hangs in the balance based on the answer to this question :zombert:
    I'd have to say Haruhi order. Kyon order confuses me greatly.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Basilisk, only anime I have been watching lately, and my favourite.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Glad I held off on contributing to this thread, the recommendations turned out okay after a while.

Fate/Stay Night being a precursor to Gurren-Lagann confuses me, though.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    Glad I held off on contributing to this thread, the recommendations turned out okay after a while.

Fate/Stay Night being a precursor to Gurren-Lagann confuses me, though.
    Archer is GAR and Spiral Energy is run offa GAR?

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

I guess that makes sense, looking at it that way :P

Sakura WarsHow you likin it? My copy just arrived yesterday.