Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Your favorite anime

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Only Anime I've watched almost all the seasons of is DBZ. It's also my personal favorite. Not too many others have caught my interest. Most of them seem too kiddy or weird for me. I was into Yu Yu Hakusho and Samurai Champloo, but those shows got canceled on Adult Swim before I got the chance to finish watching them. I loved them both. I was also getting into Ghost in the shell, but it wasn't as enjoyable for me as the other two. Also remember another one on AS that had some older looking woman with cyndel like hair, but just white and there was some Asian guy in it too and a furby looking thing that ate carrots. Never saw a complete episode of that either.

Moomba

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VexNet View Post
    "Dead Leaves" since that seems pretty weird too, but I've heard mixed reviews about it and I've not been swayed enough to go out of my way and watch it yet.

Steamboy is somewhat reminiscent of the Studio Ghibli way of story telling (in my opinion) so if you're a fan of those movies, then you'll probably be a fan of this.
    Dead Leaves is directed by the same guy who directed Gurren Lagann. So if you're digging into Oshii history by recommending Angel's Egg, might as well get into a little bit of Imaishi's history with Dead Leaves, since you already have some interest in it.
    I did not know he directed Gurren Lagann aswell! I will have to make a note of getting ahold of this show then!

If we're talking about just really pretty animes aswell, I recently watched Bobby's in Deep which I had heard about via a podcast I listen to, and it's an incredibly beautiful anime, all done in traditional means (like watercolour, inks, paints etc) but it's not a particularly exciting show since it's mostly about atmosphere and slice of life about a guy called bobby, It's only about 40minutes but totally worth the watch if you want to see some lovely animation.

And another weird show I enjoyed was Kemonozume. the director of that show also did Mind Game and Kaiba which is on my to-watch list aswell.

Other than that, I'm glad I chose to take a back seat in this thread. VexNet came out of nowhere with some dern good recommendations.
    ninja'd
    JET SET RADIOOOOOOO

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

AWO is a good show.

Masaaki Yuasa (of Kaiba, Kemonozume, etc) is getting a new show that starts next week in Japan called Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei. It's going to be in Fuji TV's high-profile Noitamina slot, so it has a lot to live up to too.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I've been excited for Yojouhan for a while now. I can't wait.

my favorite animes well lets see, small list but good ones

FMA
    FMA:Brotherhood
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Blue Gender
    Vandread
    Claymore

my work ^^

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

AWO is a good show.

Masaaki Yuasa (of Kaiba, Kemonozume, etc) is getting a new show that starts next week in Japan called Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei. It's going to be in Fuji TV's high-profile Noitamina slot, so it has a lot to live up to too.
    It looks pretty o:

Nerfed in Continuum Shift Recognized Member Zeromus_X's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by JKTrix
    That's because I've barely contributed anything to this thread.
    Well now I just feel silly.

oreodaredattoomotteyagaru Recognized Member JKTrix's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    Masaaki Yuasa (of Kaiba, Kemonozume, etc) is getting a new show that starts next week in Japan called Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (a.k.a. The Tatami Galaxy). It's going to be in Fuji TV's high-profile Noitamina slot, so it has a lot to live up to too.
    It looks pretty o:
    Keep an eye on Funimation, either their own video site or their YouTube channel. They announced mere hours before the premiere of House of 5 Leaves that they have the 'simulcast' rights to all of noitaminA's shows going forward, which includes Tatami Galaxy. So, one hour after it shows on noitaminA this Thursday, you'll see it on their video sites.

Pretty exciting, noitaminA shows are a pretty big deal. It's a TV block dedicated to making anime that is a little outside of the usual 'box' of anime that gets produced, and it has done very well for them.

Blog Entries

An anime I really enjoy that doesnt get mentioned often is Basquash! It has awesome music and animation, I dont know why it doesnt get more love.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Pretty exciting, noitaminA shows are a pretty big deal.
    You know as well as I do, that the term "big deal" is not even close to an explanation.

I'd say they're more along the lines of "watch this or else you lose your man cards."

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am a serious anime fan and have compiled an extensive list of my favorite anime shows and films:
    * Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by VexNet View Post
    Never watched the One Piece Dub, only ever kept track of the fansubs and that always remained consistent =] Ever since I lost cable, I've been satisfied with reading the manga, though I have no preference for reading which is why I want everything to be translated to a screen of some sort.

I could never get past the first season of Bleach, I like to read some recent chapters now and again to see how the characters are (like what has happened to Ishida and Ichigo etc). Yeah, I keep up with BLEACH in the same way as I do any other anime these days... manga.

The Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen (better known as Samurai X in english) was a series of OVAs telling the story of Kenshin's past and how he became the person he is before the events of the Anime series. It has some really beautiful animation and well choreographed fight scenes. It balances between serene nature and emotionally driven fights very well. Yeah. Yeah. Samurai X. I own those OVAs. Never realized they were called Tsuiokuhen. Trivia fun. And, yeah, they're uber.

I've wanted to try watching "Dead Leaves" since that seems pretty weird too, but I've heard mixed reviews about it and I've not been swayed enough to go out of my way and watch it yet. Hmm. Yeah.
    I completely disagree with putting Steamboy on the same storytelling level as Ghibli. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it suffers from the same flaws as that same director's most famous work--Akira. Spectacular animation, perhaps distractingly so at times, but you're really not coming for the story. But really, I suspect that for this thread, just looking superb will be enough for most people. Is that right? Maybe I'll watch it, after all.

For anyone writing off Castle of Cagliostro because they never 'got into' Lupin--don't. You'd really be doing yourself a major disservice. Just watch it. My whole post seems to be about Director Legacy, and this really is a big one, since it's the first film that Ghibli's Miyazaki directed. You don't need to be familiar with or even enjoy Lupin beforehand to dig this movie, it stands perfectly well on its own and is heads-and-shoulders better and more accessible than almost anything the rest of that franchise has to offer. Sounds good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    Only Anime I've watched almost all the seasons of is DBZ. It's also my personal favorite. Not too many others have caught my interest. Most of them seem too kiddy or weird for me. I was into Yu Yu Hakusho and Samurai Champloo, but those shows got canceled on Adult Swim before I got the chance to finish watching them. I loved them both. I was also getting into Ghost In the Shell, but it wasn't as enjoyable for me as the other two. Also remember another one on AS that had some older looking woman with cyndel like hair, but just white and there was some Asian guy in it too and a furby looking thing that ate carrots. Never saw a complete episode of that either.
    Awesome shows, although I couldn't wrapping my joy factor around Ghost In the Shell. I felt that Witch Hunter Robin was much the same.

cyndel? Sindel from Mortal Kombat?

Blog Entries

I can't see if anyone's mentioned it, but I really love Cowboy Bebop. Just the feel of the series makes me happy.

Second favorite would be Fullmetal Alchemist.