Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Character AI

Default Character AI

I have been impressed by it, but I still think that it doesn't always pick the best option available. One example would be the medic. They always seem to heal too little.

Thoughts?

I find it annoying when occasionally Synergists won't cast haste till right at the end of their buff cycle. But on the whole I think the AI is okay.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

It's better that other games I have played, but still falls short imo.

Ravagers are constantly picking sub-optimal attacks for me, as well as mixing physical and magic based attacks when I have one stat over twice as high as the other.
    Synergists buff things completely out of order of what I want
    Ditto for Sabatours
    Commando/Medic/Sentinel I don't have a real problem with.

If only there was a mini gambit system thrown on top so I can customize things how I want it. Or better yet, get rid of the whole AI characters craze completely.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Enjolras View Post
    I find it annoying when occasionally Synergists won't cast haste till right at the end of their buff cycle. But on the whole I think the AI is okay.
    Odd, I get haste done first every time. Also, in a good order: First the SYN, then the leader, then the other character. Makes sense! He then puts on other things in the right order - if it's an enemy weak against fire, he'll buff magic stuffs first or do Enfire or something so that I can get that extra touch put to my COMs.

The only time I've had trouble with the AI is when they choose who they heal poorly. Everything else has been fine for me.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The AI is far better than it is with Persona

I've seen no problems so far, my medics are pretty apt at healing the leader first in place of them. There's bound to be moments when it does make mistakes, but doesn't that just add to the realism of the game?

You've gotta give square credit, they spent alot of time on the AI and they do a pretty good job as a whole. I'm kind of put off about the medic's insistance of continuously using ensuna when my party is weak or my synergist not getting around to bravery/faith till after he's got all the other defenses up, but as a whole they fight really well. This is comming from a person who hate's not controlling his entire team (farewell FF1-10). But if you gotta eat a $@#% sandwich, I'd at least want it to taste like this one.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I've been fairly impressed with the AI. Yeah, Syns occasionally cast an odd spell or in a weird order, but overall I have not had a problem with them. Generally the buffs are done in a good order. The only class that makes me question the AI is the Sab, but it's not to the point yet where I have to control that role; it still does well enough.

I haven't had many problems with the AI. As long as I cast Libra every time I encounter a new enemy and as long as I cast it right at the beginning, I don't have any trouble. My healers are decent, Cura seems useless right now, but I'm hoping it'll get better.

The only thing I had an issue with were the defenders/sentinel class. Why do they provoke automatically, even if they are the ONLY character in front of the enemy? It seems a little redundant for Snow to provoke when he's by himself; obviously it's going to attack him.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

AI isn't customizable enough. Spell priorities should be possible to set, spells should be possible to disable completely, and AI actions should be possible to override when you need to. Different settings for battle positioning would be cool too.

It should also be possible to set various attack patterns, such as attack weakest, attack enemy with lowest HP, attack other enemies than main character, or attack enemy that is receiving the most damage. Ravagers usually attack whatever you attack, but commandos seem to not really care what you're fighting, and that's bad, and it should be possible to make synergists prioritize offensive buffs over defensive buffs when you fight relatively weak enemies. Why do I need shell and protect against an enemy that hits for less than 5% of my max hp? I want enfire instead so this battle can be ended quickly!

It is however good that my syns always seem to cast haste first without fail.
    Last edited by Mirage; 03-18-2010 at 05:32 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Commandos go out of their way to not attack the same thing.

Contributions

And they aren't always smart about it.

3 enemies, one is staggered. I switch to COM/RAV/COM to build up chain on a fresh opponent while the second COM finishes off the staggered opponent. But the AI COM attacks the third enemy and leaves the staggered one alone! WTF!

This game really cries out for a Gambit-like system for serious players.

Not something that you can turn on and off or change mid-battle, but something that lets the player create the IF-THEN AI script sequence for each paradigm role for each character.

As opposed to XII where many players felt Gambits let you play "on automatic," they make all the sense in the world in a game which relies on an AI script to select individual combat actions and in which only one of the three party members is controllable.

I certainly don't think players should be forced to mess with AI scripts/Gambits if they don't want -- in which case the default AI used now would be fine -- but for players that like playing the FF games partly for their combat, it would have been a nice feature to include IMO.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!!! Gambits were one of the absolute worst parts of FFXII and programming pretty much put the final nail in the coffin. One of the reasons FFXIII is vastly superior is that your teammates do a great job (At least in my experience) without needing any such nonsense.

If I want to play programming I'll go find a copy of Carnage Heart.

Contributions

They could just throw a gambit system in, hide it a little bit, and no one would be the wiser. To me the AI seems very simple, and I can't help but think I could make a better one from scratch.

I just want to be able to choose who attacks which enemy. After that fact, I'm cool with the AI.