Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apparently, Noctis is gay (according to Nomura)

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Default Apparently, Noctis is gay (according to Nomura)

Well, if we can trust ff-xiii.net, this article:

Nomura Kotaku Interview: 'Noctis is Gay' - Final Fantasy XIII: News, Trailers & Screens ~ Final Fantasy-XIII.net

states Noctis is gay.

Interest in the game: -200% (And before you scream homophobe, people can be gay as much as they want, but that doesn't mean I have to like it in the games I play.)

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Homophobe!
    Figaro Castle

FFXIV Character

So be it. I don't wanna see kissing guys in the games I play.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

This game will break records now, the yaoi fangirls rejoice, and the world shudders

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'm not a homophobe but that does put a damper on some things. I don't care if Noctis is gay, I just don't want to see anything that will give people the wrong idea as to why I'm playing it.

This makes sense though. I was wondering why he looked so much like Adam Lambert.

Default I don't care...

I do worry that conservatives here in the US might complain about it and try to harm the game/prevent it from being released.

shrugs..we'll see how things come out.

FFXIV Character

I actually laugh at those fans who were outrageous about the changes of XIII and screamed how Versus XIII was going to be far better because it's more traditional. Oh, right, Versus has a worldmap and airships, that automatically makes it a Final Fantasy.

Because, like or dislike aside, a gay main character is far from traditional.

Well I'm comfortable enough with my sexuality to play it even if he is gay. Besides, it might be interesting to see an unrequited love between the two main characters.

I personally think that Nomura may or may not have intended him to be gay, but to be honest, I don't think SE is brave enough to push the boundaries that far. At least not yet.

And you all say you are not Homophobes, but most of you do seem it.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

This is a lame April Fools joke posted early.

Anyway,

homsexual character != scenes depciting homosexual sex

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot View Post
    How so? No one's said that they weren't going to play it just 'cause he's gay. Is it homophobic that we'd rather not see guys kissing?

yea...this is not real.
    yes, i'm a FFXIII fan.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quick searches and I couldn't find the original Kotaku article that they are apparently citing. So something is telling me this is a joke (since it was from Kotaku Australia meaning it is already April 1st there).

Furthermore, it'd be highly surprising if a Japanese video game company would make the lead male gay. Highly surprising. Japan is not the most forward country when it comes to gay rights. Most employers can still fire you for being gay, unless you live in the Tokyo District and perhaps a few other places. So yeah, it seems unlike. Also, considering how homosexual characters tend to be treated, there won't be anything explicit anyways. You'd be lucky if he had a boyfriend, let alone if they held hands or said "I love you".

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo
    Interest in the game: -200% (And before you scream homophobe, people can be gay as much as they want, but that doesn't mean I have to like it in the games I play.)
    I live in a heteronormative society where I am constantly exposed to heterosexuality, let alone in most media sources. Where I am constantly assumed to be straight or expected to fulfil the role of a straight man. Where gender binaries can be so forcibly constricted that anything outside of it considered deviant, or wrong. In some parts of the world, I could be arrested or killed without second thought. I could go on and on, but I think I've made my point. My point is: so what if you have to deal with one gay character in a video game? Homosexuals live everyday in face of heterosexuality because it is the majority and default. We don't always like it, but we have to live with it lest be hermits.

Also, the previous paragraph was intentionally hyperbolic, a bit facetious and a bit of playing devil's advocate. In other words, I wasn't being overly serious about what I was saying.

That said, I still think this is an April Fool's joke.

FFXIV Character

If that character is the main character, it gets difficult for me. Accepting it as a fact doesn't mean I have to like it in a game I play, a movie I see or something like that. It's good for people who like it, people who don't will stay away. There's nothing wrong with saying this.

And if this is april's fools, then all the better. You know, now that I think of it, it probably is, what with the X-files references.

But even if it's a joke, it's still good to open this can of worms. Because let us face it, if it is or isn't real, the reactions here still are. And that's good for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian XIII View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot View Post
    How so? No one's said that they weren't going to play it just 'cause he's gay. Is it homophobic that we'd rather not see guys kissing?
    Well some of people showed disgust at the idea and FYI, the guy who started this post did. So don't act like I'm making stuff.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

It would be an interesting turn of events to be honest. It might also open up some people's eyes to the realities of being gay even if the game wouldn't actually be overly explicit about it. It'd give a straight guys a chance to see what it is like being gay and constantly having to play as straight characters. It'd be a role-reversal to say the least, though I bet with would be met with vehement resistance, especially from the religious right in the USA. :/