Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Apparently, Noctis is gay (according to Nomura)

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    I'll use it again, and I don't give a damn if you say it's just an argument I cooked up.
    Well you apparently do because you keep repeating it, hoping I'll buy it. I've responded to your argument many times, so you've already heard everything I have to say. And in fact, I don't know you at all, so for all I know this could be a bunch of crockahooey you're adding on at the last second to try and get out of the homophobic spotlight or whatever. People do this in debates/arguments all the time.

HOWEVER, I will say one last thing - let's acknowledge that it's 100% fact that everything you just said is true, that you don't have a spec of homophobic feeling in you. That's great and I appreciate it - I wish more people were like that. However, one thing you need to learn when posting or speaking is tact/attitude/etc [which is a problem for me too apparently, but in a different way, because I default to aggressive language often and people think I'm raging on every post when I'm actually not]. You also need to understand that [like I said before] these forums are well known for having several gay gamers that frequent it quite a bit. Knowing this, you need to chose your words carefully when talking about things like not wanting a gay male lead for a video game, and first impressions are important. Being that this is my first impression of you [I don't think I've ever spoken to you before], all I see is someone coming here and making a topic with the statement of "Dude, if Noctis is really gay then I'm definitely not gonna play this game. That's -200% interest for me". Making a statement like that, you had to have figured that at least one of the gay guys here would've come and spat fire on you for it. You're responding quite a lot to our posts, and you seem to really be ticked off at having the finger of "homophobia" pointed out at you. Clearly you aren't fond of this result, so I'm gathering that you really weren't expecting this or at least didn't want it. So for next time [should something like this ever happen again], if you want to make such a statement and not get any flak for it, then you might want to avoid statements like this:

"Dude, if Noctis is really gay then I'm definitely not gonna play this game. That's -200% interest for me"

And instead, say something like this:

"Well it seems there's this rumour that [blank] in [random game] might be gay. This is great and all, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to relate to a gay guy very much. I don't have any problem with gay guys at all, and it'd be fine if one of the other characters was gay. Hell, I even like some manga that has gay/bi characters in it. But for the lead, I need a guy I can relate to, ya know?"

The latter seems far less prejudiced and 50x more understandable than the former. However in a debate or argument or whatever, you lose credibility if you make a brazen statement then keep going back to it later and constantly try to amend it/alter it/add to it/etc. Choosing your words carefully and being tactful is important. If you don't want to be tactful or choose words carefully - that's fine, it's your choice. We're in the free world afterall [even if you're living somewhere less "free", you're at least free enough on the internet], so you're entitled to act however you want. But you should at least expect the consequences for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Probably similar to Brokeback Mountain. But that was boring as it stands. At least, I thought so.
    It was boring. It's basically just a controversy/guts stunt to give them all a big name "hell yeah, you've got a lot of guts!" though that doesn't discredit their work at all. I found it to be boring too though. But hey, virtual pat on your back from me for at least giving it a chance!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I agree that tact can be a lovely thing and that the original post could be seen as trolling as it was so poorly worded. I'm glad that we can all come to an understanding of each other over this, though, so hopefully people can continue to move on to other threads.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Please, let's avoid personal attacks going forward as this is only going to lead to the thread being closed.

This is the 'nice' way of me asking. Let's all shake hands and move on rather than continuing to increase the heat in your posts to the point that you are both warned for personal attacks.

EDIT: Some old and new posts (ie, before and after this post) have been deleted.
    Last edited by Loony BoB; 04-01-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Honestly, I'm a straight guy, and I was rather excited at the thought of Square taking such a bold step in the right direction. I mean, a black character who isn't a Mr. T knockoff AND a gay lead in two games in the same trilogy(?) of games? Hell yeah, Square, you're getting cool again!

Of course, too good to be true.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, the sexuality of the characters should have 0 effect on your enjoyment if you're as secure in your sexuality as you claim. I can enjoy love stories between a man and a woman, two men, two women, etc. Of course, I will admit I IDENTIFY with the man/woman pairing most, but I would never say that a game is worse for having a male/male couple. It would be a nice change of pace at the very least.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I've closed this thread. From what I can see, people have had a little trouble with tact in their posts, upset some people and misunderstood one another to the point that it got heated and people reacted to each other a little beyond the point they should have.

The fact that it's about an April Fool's news update doesn't do any favours towards keeping the thread open, either.

Basically let's all just have a cuddle.