Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penelo baby

I've never paid close enough attention, but it feels like there are party members who never speak directly to her. Did Ashe say anything right at Penelo throughout the entire game?

Well, that's probably not the case. Anyway, she was underdeveloped. But frankly, if the developers had only so much time for the cutscenes, I'd prefer she get the short stick than the others.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

She had pretty Quickenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I've never paid close enough attention, but it feels like there are party members who never speak directly to her. Did Ashe say anything right at Penelo throughout the entire game?

Well, that's probably not the case. Anyway, she was underdeveloped. But frankly, if the developers had only so much time for the cutscenes, I'd prefer she get the short stick than the others.
    Ashe only really speaks to the men, the few times her and Fran interact things are very frosty between them. Ashe doesn't seem to care to much for Fran or Penelo. She doesn't even care that Fran is on the Sky fortress Bahamut either.
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.

Blog Entries

None of the characters really received much development... but I liked Penelo's outfit. Man, was her story and presence lacking though.

I think she was very underdeveloped, but I also feel that Vaan was too (for a main character). It seemed that Asche, Balthier and, to a certain extent, Basch and Fran were more important than the two childhood friends. It's like they just tagged along on this epic journey for no real reason. They were just a couple of inexperienced fighters who were in over their heads.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

I love Penelo, and even I'll concede they should have developed her more. What we saw of her was great, though - she was mature but playful, and not a typical "cute hyper girl" as people thought she would be.

I recall in the early, early trailers for FFXII there was a scene of Penelo dancing in the woods, and indeed she was touted as a dancer. I wish they'd kept this scene for XII, instead of cutting it and using it in Revenant Wings. It would have added a lot to her development in XII.

edit: Penelo dancing at 0:35 YouTube - Final Fantasy 12 Trailer
    Last edited by Persephone Stephanie; 05-08-2010 at 08:13 AM.

First, let me get this out of the way. Penelo is sexy.

Now, moving onto somewhat deeper things....

I think Penelo, like Vaan, was there to provide a youthful feel to the game. Even the still young Ashe is a very stiff person and Balthier acts like the cool big brother.

In fact, Penelo's importance, like Vaan's and Larsa's, is talked about by Basch in one of my favorite scenes.

Basch: After Vayne’s ruse I had abandoned hope for honor… Yet never did I forget my knightly vows. If I could protect but one person from war’s horror…then I would bear any shame. I would bear it proudly. I could not defend my home. What is shame to me?

[There was a brief pause as Ashe starts to walk away…]

Ashe: My people hate the Empire. They will not accept this.

Basch: There is hope.

[The camera shows Vaan, Penelo and Laras hanging out just like any kids)

Basch: Hope for a future where we can join hands as brothers.

-------------------------

She is part of the new generation that won't be blinded by Us vs. Them.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I recall seeing background information before the game was released that stated that she learned how to fight from her brother who was a soldier in the war, and that she combined the soldiers' techniques with her dancing techniques to defend herself. This was not in the game, and I wonder why. I could be mistaken, as I do not have a source for this information, but I remember looking forward to seeing some of her background story and it never came during Final Fantasy XII.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roogle View Post
    I recall seeing background information before the game was released that stated that she learned how to fight from her brother who was a soldier in the war, and that she combined the soldiers' techniques with her dancing techniques to defend herself. This was not in the game, and I wonder why. I could be mistaken, as I do not have a source for this information, but I remember looking forward to seeing some of her background story and it never came during Final Fantasy XII.
    It's written in my FFXII game manual that her brothers taught her to fight. I imagine if they had included her dancing in the game she could have fought a bit like River from Firefly; sort of a balletic martial artist. Penelo as a dancer is the only thing I regret them cutting. I did keep an eye out for her background story, but I wasn't too sad that nothing was said about it because I feel we get a pretty good idea of who she is in the game: a mature and emotionally strong young woman who "believes that in perseverence, there is hope." The quoted part is also from my game manual. Besides, she does tell her story albeit without much detail. She lived with her family until the Empire invaded, and they were all killed.

It seems that people expect all the characters in a FF game to have a moment of sweeping exposition where their profound emotions and complicated motivations are revealed. Perhaps the lack of appeal with a character like Penelo is that she is an uncomplicated girl, who despite having a tragic life has the simple determination to find better days. There isn't really a need for her to have a dramatic moment. We are shown her and Vaan's sadness at the loss of their families and freedom through their interactions with the whole party. I like what other people have said about her role in the story being more about her symbolic value as hope, as a member of the younger generation who will mend the rift that's grown in Ivalice.

Whoa, I rambled. Sorry.

Vaan and Penelo exist because if they didn't, the whole of Ivalice would be sucked into a wormhole of seriousness and implode. Even Balthier's witticisms couldn't save them.

On a serious note, Vaan (and to an extent Penelo) are examples of The Ishmael. The other four party members are very secretive characters, insofar as their pasts are hidden and it's difficult to get inside of their heads. So, Vaan ends up narrating the story because he's a rather simple character. I would have loved if they actually played the story this way, sort of like Tidus' narration in FFX but less annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by PeneloRatsbane View Post
    Ashe only really speaks to the men, the few times her and Fran interact things are very frosty between them. Ashe doesn't seem to care to much for Fran or Penelo. She doesn't even care that Fran is on the Sky fortress Bahamut either.
    Fran and Ashe's interaction is limited to Fran expositing about Nethicite and asking Ashe if she's really going to use it to take revenge on the Empire. Strangely enough, I felt that Fran of all characters was the most perceptive- she seemed to understand full well what was going on in Ashe's mind and wasn't afraid to tell her. Balthier had aspects of this too, but he's far too polite to say it.

And Ashe never talks to Penelo. Ever.
    Last edited by YTDN; 05-26-2010 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YTDN View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PeneloRatsbane View Post
    Fran and Ashe's interaction is limited to Fran expositing about Nethicite and asking Ashe if she's really going to use it to take revenge on the Empire. Strangely enough, I felt that Fran of all characters was the most perceptive- she seemed to understand full well what was going on in Ashe's mind and wasn't afraid to tell her. Balthier had aspects of this too, but he's far too polite to say it.

And Ashe never talks to Penelo. Ever.
    Yeah thats the bit i meant, Fran and Balthier are both perceptive, but its Fran that comes out and says it. Which made me think that she had doubts about what Ashe was going to do. I mean i had doubts about what Ashe was going to do whilst i was playing it and that made her pretty interesting.
    Its just that Fran was the one to bring it up
    ...It is because there is a limit to time that we wish for nights that never dawn.
    Eternity is just an empty illusion and is why feelings of being able to believe in one another are born...
    Remember that well.