Thread: Alterations

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Alterations

Have you ever altered any clothes yourself? Were the results good or bad?

I did it for the first time today; One dress I did came out rather poorly, but I tried fixing up this skirt and it came out well. It was 3 sizes to big - now it fits nice. It was only about $5 dollars and I bought it in a charity shop in Northern Ireland. Huzzahhhhh~

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good work, Rye. That's a nice skirt.

I do most of my own alterations, except for removing stuck zippers. I'm really bad at unsticking and removing them.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks! Darts are kind of really tricky.

Blog Entries

You know, I have tried to do so, but I always end up not going through with it. I would never (or try to) change any expensive clothes in any way, as the guilt of my failure would be even more immense.

I don't think my mad skills are mad enough.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have weird length legs, no seriously. I buy regular length jeans and they're too short for me in the leg. If I buy long length jeans I end up having to do an alteration or walk on the bottoms which makes them become rotten very fast. Therefore I am quite adept at turning up my jeans internally and fixing them there with a couple of stitches (I try to do fewer rather than a ring of them around the leg, that only looks good if you've got a sewing machine to get the line dead straight) I like buying jeans in Poland. When I was in Leszno I brought some Wrangler jeans from a store in the town and the store turned them up for like 5zl more. I paid in the end around £28 for a pair of Wrangler jeans that were professionally tailored for me to the right length before I even took them home. I wouldn't mind going there again to buy some more jeans because there is a brand (it's a lot like Lee Cooper or Ben Sherman but polish) called "big star" and they're great too.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just turned a couple trousers into shorts and ripped one sleeve of a sweater, it was half broken and I needed something to hit my friend with so I thought why not use the sleeve, although I've never worn that sweater again so I don't think it counts.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I made velcro ribbons for a jacket once! It turned out pretty n.n

Other than that, the most I've done is removed attached undershirts and stuff like that.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I turned an old pair of old jeans into too-short cut-off shorts for a white trash halloween costume one time. Does that count?
    Figaro Castle

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

my mom and I took in some shirts that were way too big (for some reason, our quiz bowl sponsor decided that everyone needed size large, and at a blood drive, they had a really cool "thanks for donating shirt!" but by the time I got there, they only had xL) and they look okay. Haven't done anything more complicated than that yet

Blog Entries

Because I can get regular access to a industrial grade sewing machine, I usually shorten my own pants and jeans. That's about the limit of my ability on a sewing machine.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I take the sleeves off of some of my shirts, does that count? Other than that, I've just patched up holes or tears.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Icegnaw View Post
    I have weird length legs, no seriously. I buy regular length jeans and they're too short for me in the leg. If I buy long length jeans I end up having to do an alteration or walk on the bottoms which makes them become rotten very fast. Therefore I am quite adept at turning up my jeans internally and fixing them there with a couple of stitches (I try to do fewer rather than a ring of them around the leg, that only looks good if you've got a sewing machine to get the line dead straight) I like buying jeans in Poland. When I was in Leszno I brought some Wrangler jeans from a store in the town and the store turned them up for like 5zl more. I paid in the end around £28 for a pair of Wrangler jeans that were professionally tailored for me to the right length before I even took them home. I wouldn't mind going there again to buy some more jeans because there is a brand (it's a lot like Lee Cooper or Ben Sherman but polish) called "big star" and they're great too.
    Yeah, I have this problem too. Well, I'm just plain short, but even buying my jeans in the short length that they've come out with in stores now, rather than regular, they're still a bit too long for me, but if I cuff them they're fine. But back when I still only could buy regular... it was awfull! I had to either get everything hemmed or deal with draggy pants.

I think tailoring is a good service though, to get that custom fit. I really want to buy a really nice skirt suit for interviews in a size too big and then just get it tailored for my body perfectly.

Blog Entries

Haha, I'm so glad men's clothes don't come in retarded sizes. Having an inseam length is awesome.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Haha, I'm so glad men's clothes don't come in retarded sizes. Having an inseam length is awesome.
    actually to prove you wrong:

Womens clothes, trousers in particular come in varying lengths along the same scale of the mens trousers. Therefore women can buy for example a wasit size from 6 - whatever and a length of S R L (short, regular, long) this is much the same as mens clothing. Consider a UK 12 in womens clothing is the equivalent of a 30" waist this means womens clothing is just as easy to purchase as men's so long as you know what you're doing.

Also NCG, if you didn't remember I am male, I have a 33" inside leg, in the uk a Regular cut is a 32" inside leg (hence short for me) and a Long cut is a 34" cut (a little too long) Though (bear in mind I only have experience of buying jeans in Poland outside the uk) in Poland you can buy jeans in any inside leg measurement measured between 28 and 36 inches long.

Blog Entries

Short, regular, and long aren't real sizes, men's inseams are measure in inches, not three generic sizes.

I don't have to try on several jeans to find a good fit, I just find my waist size and exact inseam length. Which is exactly my point.