Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alice in Wonderland

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't know what you mean about the 'Underland' comment but that is actually what it's called in the original, Alice just misinterprets it as 'Wonderland.'

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by zombiedude55 View Post
    I don't know what you mean about the 'Underland' comment but that is actually what it's called in the original, Alice just misinterprets it as 'Wonderland.'
    Erm . . . No. I've read the book a bazillion times and I really don't remember that being the case. That's an invention by either Burton or the screenwriter.

First off, who has he been recyclying the same film over and over again? Hell, his last one was Sweeny Todd, before that had done Corpse Bride, Nightmare before Christmas, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, all of which are note-ably different in a lot of respects.

The only thing consistent is his artistic style, but even that has a different look movie by movie.

And I have no problems with him recasting the same characters multiple times. I don't even see why thats an issue. Hell, Kevin smith did it with many movies. And I'm not counting him recasting people for like Jason Mews who always played Jay in the movies, but he used multiple people for multiple different roles throughout those films and I've never heard anyone complain.

That being said, Alice in Wonderland really wasn't that great of a movie. The visuals were goergeous, and the plot wasnt' really bad. I twas just lack luster. And most performances were really subpar. Jhonny Depp should not have been cast as The Mad Hatter. And both the White and Red Queen were just terrible.

The show stealer was by far The Chesire Cat. That thing was purely awesome in every way. I also though Alas did a good job in her role.

On a whole though, I can't really recommend this one.

And I have no problems with him recasting the same characters multiple times. I don't even see why thats an issue. Hell, Kevin smith did it with many movies. And I'm not counting him recasting people for like Jason Mews who always played Jay in the movies, but he used multiple people for multiple different roles throughout those films and I've never heard anyone complain.
    The main difference, and I speak from the point-of-view of not having seen the newest incarnation of Alice in Wonderland, is that the characters Depp and Bonham Carter play are, typically, the same exact characters throughout multiple films. Kevin Smith's characters, while having similarities, are almost always different character types.

My main problem is that Bonham Carter isn't that great of an actress (her only tolerable role being Fight Club and she was hardly good in it) and Depp's career has been slowly falling every since his career decision to take roles that his kids would enjoy. As a father, that choice is admirable, but as an actor it hurts his career.

I will see Alice in Wonderland at some point when it is released on DVD. I won't pay whatever movie tickets cost these days to see a movie I'm unsure about.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Re: HBC (I'm too lazy to copy/paste her name) as the Red Queen . . .
    I actually thought she was hillarious and did a great job in this role.

That being said, it seemed like a near ripoff of Miranda Richardson's portrayal of the role in the 1999 TV movie version. Which also was a bit of a ripoff of her own portrayal of Queen Elizabeth from the Blackadder BBC show. But . . . that's the Queen of Hearts in a nutshell for me.

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

I recall some friends showing me some images and stuff since before the movie was released and I wasn't sure it was going to be that amazing, but once it came out I really wanted to see it yet still went in with no expectations whatsoever and had a lovely time I especially like how it ended.