Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Funny and slamming review lmao.

Blog Entries

Maybe I'm just eager to like an FF again. Whatever, I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    VII to some extent due to not being told very clearly, although this was fixed (with a debatable amount of retconning) in Advent Children.
    VII seems to be told well....the translation was bad. Which things did they retcon?
    It's debatable (and probably will be as everyone seems to have opposite opinions to me ITT!), but if you follow the well-reasoned theory that Jenova was the one pulling the strings and Sephiroth was the puppet, they retconned that as he is stated to be the one behind everything in AC

FFX was very well made and had side distractions like the Cloister of Trials. Now that was a cool "dungeon". FFX on the whole was far better and was open, did not force you forward and had numerous towns and villages. I don't see how that can be compared to XIII. Also, unlike XIII, the calm lands in X had multiple secret areas and minigames/sidequests

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    It's debatable (and probably will be as everyone seems to have opposite opinions to me ITT!), but if you follow the well-reasoned theory that Jenova was the one pulling the strings and Sephiroth was the puppet, they retconned that as he is stated to be the one behind everything in AC
    That wasn't a retcon, it was what was happening even in the original translation....it mde it clear that Sephiroth was using the power of Jenova in order to give his real body the black materia...There is overwhelming evidence to that effect in the storyline itself and so stating clearly what was happening is not retconning- it is merely verifying what most people already thought.

And if the other was Tseng "being brought back alive" that was a poor translation that said he was dead when in fact he wasn't....

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Hey seifer, you played XIII yet?

I can play it on my cousins Xbox but I refuse to (indeed he also hates it and will be selling it soon)...I have seen and read all I need to. Maybe in a few months I will sit down and play the first few chapters (rent XIII) but my priority now is getting Blue dragon/ Lost Odyssey.

Tbh I don't think I will be able to stomach the game and so it is way way down my list of things to play (I am not even a real gamer anymore, and am dedicating huge amounts of time to FFVII projects)

Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 04-12-2010 at 03:30 AM.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

You should probably play it a bit before you continue your smear campaign. Some of the things you said in your last post are flat-out false, particularly in regards to FFXIII lacking a Calm Lands-like area with secret areas and side quests.

This isn't even the first post I've seen you making misinformed/made up claims about the game. Honestly, what's your deal?

I honestly don't feel that the comparison between XIII and X in terms of linearity is justified. XIII is way, way more linear than X was. I admit that X was linear, both in story and in the path you took along it. But it was far, far more open than XIII is. You had to go from A to B to progress, but you could at least move around while doing so.

Remember when you first arrive in Spira? You land in the water and start to explore this strange new world. There is only one way out, but you can move around, find treasures and hints about the world before you take head to that one way. In Kilika Woods, or the Besaid path, there are multiple paths to take, offering some freedom of control for the player.

In XIII, there is no freedom of movement at all. The corridor is so narrow, your party couldn't even walk side-by-side along it. There is zero exploration for the world. There is no way to explore, let alone rewards for doing so. There is, in fact, no reason to even let you have control outside of combat. There is a straight path, you travel it in one direction, and you get in the same number of fights whether you have control or not.

Maybe FFX had a one way corridor for 90% of its paths, but at least it wasn't a straight line. Even the Mi'hen Highroad had offshoots to explore. It also had some width to it, allowing your characters to move side to side if they wished, to allow NPCs to pass by the characters, or random battles to break up the monotony.

FFXIII just feels wrong. The path is everything. Fights are structured into the path. You see them coming from a mile away, and you will fight the same number of enemies no matter how you choose to proceed (although, really, you don't have any options about how to proceed). NPCs also are built into the path. There is no life to them. They feel like the ruins and statues you pass. Each one structured so specifically into the corridor that you feel like they'd die if they had to move. And no matter how brilliant the main characters sound, everyone else is stuck without voice acting and without any compelling dialogue.

FFXIII doesn't feel like an RPG, it feels like a rail shooter that has its foot on the breaks. The world outside of battles and cutscenes just doesn't exist. A battle and cutscene montage would be preferable.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Coin a new genre, on-rails RPG?

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Using Yahtzee as a review source is pretty much stretching it. I usually watch him for the laughs, nothing more. Sure, he makes salient points but they are often hyperbolic. I mean, at least he's open about his hatred of JRPGs (though he did end up saying nice things about TWEWY). :/

Also, I more or less completely disagree with Skyblade. FFXIII does allow you to explore as much as FFX did, especially in the later chapters. Battles are easily avoidable for the most part. I can run through Oerba and avoid all the Cie'ths. I concede that unlike FFX, FFXIII doesn't allow you to revisit past places post-/end-game with the exception of Gran Pulse and Eden.

Also:

Gran Pulse >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Calm Lands.

I hated crossing the Calm Lands. Gran Pulse is such a pleasure.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have 3 points to make!

1. I have to say having played both games FFX had a way more linear feel! Yeah sure FFX had proper towns & villages but you could only ever go 2 ways backwards & forwards along the linear path! Spira didn't really become a world you could freely roam & explore until FFX-2 which was a shame considering FFX-2 wasn't really that good, although I do have a certain fondness for the fast paced battle system FFX-2 had! I have to say I like FFXIII a lot more then FFX story wise. Everything that happen in FFX was totally predictable & the story was a lot more linear then FFXIII (although I've yet to FFXIII, still on Chapter 11, so I'll reserve judgment on its story until I finish). You move along a set path which results in the final battle with Sin. I mean Seymour was obviously evil, Yevon was obviously corrupt blah blah blah blah blah! The only thing that surprised me at all was the revelation about Tidus in the end. The only redeeming quality FFX's story had was the development of the relationship between Tidus & Yuna that was the only part of the story I ever felt a connect with! FFX was an epic RPG experience for it's time but don't use it as subject matter to poke holes in FFXIII because FFX in itself wasn't exactly perfect!

2. FFXIII is basically the best elements of FFX, FFX-2 & FFXII all rolled into one! The Crystarium is essentially the Sphere Grid from FFX. I always felt the sphere grid was a much better way of developing characters skills then simply leveling up. I believe it gives the player a far better means of customization of the games characters.

The paradigm system is definitely based around the way you could switch between characters like in FFX but instead of each character having a specific job FFXIII gave them ability classes.

The fast paced style of the battles is very reminiscent of FFX-2 which as I mentioned above I loved. I mean I like turn based RPG's but hell even with the battle speed on it's highest the battles in FFVII-FFIX could be slow as $hit sometimes.

And finally the battle system in FFXIII is basically an automatic version of the gambit system from FFXII. I wasn't a fan of the gambit system & used it very rarely in the 400+ hours I clocked up on FFXII. If one thing has annoyed me about the gameplay in FFXIII it's been that sometimes the "auto gambit" doesn't make intelligent choices eg. A Medic casts Cure 5 times instead of Curasa 5 times & the enemy's next attack does enough damage to take away the health restored by the casting of Cure 5 times! And since you can't manually choose the attacks & actions of anyone but your party leader you can't rectify the situation

3. One of the chief reasons FFXIII gets so much stick is because FF internet fan boys/girls are still holding out for their FFVII remake thats never gonna happen & until they get it they'll systematically find fault in every new Final Fantasy game released for no good reason! BOOM!

Articles
    Blog Entries

The crystarium is nothing like the sphere grid. The sphere grid lets you choose however you want to customize your character when it comes to stats and skills. The crystarium only lets you pick between 3 different stats, and it doesn't allow you nearly as much choice. It's essentially the old leveling up system where the player gets to do the work.

Also the reason why FFXIII gets so much hate is because it sucks, even though the fanboys seem to love it because it has fast and flashy battles. FF7 has nothing to do with a lack of a proper storyline, characters, immersion or gameplay that FFXIII is suffering from.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Also, I more or less completely disagree with Skyblade. FFXIII does allow you to explore as much as FFX did, especially in the later chapters.
    I can't speak about later chapters, but I'm in chapter 6 now I believe and we must be playing different games. Whether it opens up later or not, so far it has been far, far, FAR more linear than X was even at it's worst. I wouldn't mind as much if it meant the story kept moving at a good pace the way it should in a linear game, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Also, the battle system finally got marginally interesting at around the 7 hour mark last night. It's still got nothing on some of the better previous games in the series but at least it's making it more tolerable. I just shouldn't have had to wait so long for it to get interesting. If this were any other FF I'd be at least almost a quarter of the way through by now. With some of the older ones, I'd be closer to being half way through. I shouldn't have to wait that long for the game to get enough strategic depth that there's actually some minor value in selecting my own abilities.

Articles
    Blog Entries

'the game' doesn't open up. It's one of the most stupid points brought up by the fanboys. It's just chapter 11 that allows you to explore Gran Pulse. After that it's straight back to the Cocoon tunnel. You only can go back to GP through a warp portal at the end of the game.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Banned
    Blog Entries

I like FFXIII for lots of reasons and I'm not a fanboy. It is a video game, and of all the things I can bitch and whine about in the World with my time I would not choose a relatively inexpensive piece of hardware.

Blog Entries

Any time anyone uses the word "fanboy" "fangirl" or "hater" to put down people who disagree with them, the Credibility Meter they'd been building up resets to 0 in my mind.

I wouldn't place this game anywhere near X, that would take some beating. If X had a steerable airship (RIP, wonderful concept) it'd have probably overtaken VII as my favourite.

In modern FF terms my prioritisation is probably:
    VII, X, IX, XIII, X-2, VIII, XII
    Ranging from "awesome", through to "average", to "ok", to "poor". But I've never really considered any of them "really bad", and I even enjoy VIII still even though it's just "ok".

If there's one truth to all the opinions here though it's that FF fans rarely agree on which ones are great and which ones suck, often to the extremes of complete opposites

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    You should probably play it a bit before you continue your smear campaign. Some of the things you said in your last post are flat-out false, particularly in regards to FFXIII lacking a Calm Lands-like area with secret areas and side quests.

This isn't even the first post I've seen you making misinformed/made up claims about the game. Honestly, what's your deal?
    Let's not use the tired out tactic of attacking the person rather than their argument.

I said the "calm lands" of XIII lacking compared to X. And it is lacking compared to X. X had far more to do and it was superior. Not to mention the whole game had sidequests and NPC and villages or you gonna start saying that is a lie too? Just look at what there was to do on X:

Find Al Bhed Primas: Small sidequest through game

Cloister of trials: Part of the game and a nice puzzle, especially the side quest of destruction sphere. If you finished it a second time you got slightly more story

Destruction Spheres opened the way to get Anima, another sidequest

The Dark Aeons side quest, and penance

Sphere grid Sidequest (filling it in properly)

Monster hunt, and not just 1 area, you had to go through all the areas and collect 10 of each

Chocobo racing on calm lands

Remimen temple secret on calm lands, with a minigame chocobo racer and Magus sisters

Quest to get crest, sigil and ultimate weapons (these included other side quests like Dodging lightning, butterfly minigame etc)

Blitzball which included loads of things you could win and add to your team

Cactuer Sidequest

Stats: Power, Defence, Magic, Magic Defence, Luck and more, you know...what RPG's generally have? A sopposed to a scaled back stat list. (and even the aeons had them, and they could be increased manually)

Items that actually helped you outside of battle

4 customised slots for weapon and 4 for armour. The Sphere grid wrapped up the spells and stats nicely into 1 package.

NPC and towns and every main area is one. You get to choose if you want to go back to areas and for some side quests you will have to.

Sphere grid is superior to the whateveryoucallit on XIII. It allowed customisation and a lot of extra work at the end of the game.

Limits had small fun things you could do. Auron entered a code combination, Rikku mixed things, Tidus had a bar you pressed at correct time, Lulu used the analogue sticks, Kimari had enemy skills you had to learn, Yuna had Aeons who became part of the battle and were customised, Wakka had slots reels...WHAT DOES XIII HAVE?

You see....the whole game was well thought out and KEPT YOU IMMERSED.

These are just some of the distractions that X had, now, what does XIII have? You tell me? Because what I have seen is monster hunts (in 1 area with no real pay off compared to X) a pathetic little chocobo game as a consolation and that is it. Every review I have read makes no mention of anything else compared to the above.

All it does say is that you spend much of the game tapping autobattle.

Quote Originally Posted by kotora View Post
    'the game' doesn't open up. It's one of the most stupid points brought up by the fanboys. It's just chapter 11 that allows you to explore Gran Pulse. After that it's straight back to the Cocoon tunnel. You only can go back to GP through a warp portal at the end of the game.
    Precisely.

@Cloudane yeah I would have VII and then X as top 2. If X had a world map that you could explore, it would have exceeded all games I have played for the gameplay aspect and probably would have beaten VII overall imho. Definately X has the greatest gameplay for me in terms of all FF games.
    Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 04-12-2010 at 08:06 PM.