Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Funny and slamming review lmao.

Articles
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=seiferalmasy2;2829093]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    These are just some of the distractions that X had, now, what does XIII have? You tell me?
    there's over 60 lame boss monsters to kill !

and chocobos.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

That quote was by me but yes :P

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's pretty funny over here in the Land of Fallout and Baldur's Gate seeing people argue about the relative merits and failings of linearity in FFX and FFXIII. It's like arguing about whether a color is more scarlet or red.

FFXIII has its failings, and I can't really see myself playing through the 25 hour tutorial a second time. But I like most of the characters, the world is fun to run [strike]around[/strike] along, and the battle system is fast paced and fun.

So basically it might not be some grand open-world adventure but criticizing a JRPG for linearity is like calling out an FPS because it involves shooting things.

A lot more than its linear nature has just been criticised.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own BRRRAAAIINNSSS View Post
    It's pretty funny over here in the Land of Fallout and Baldur's Gate seeing people argue about the relative merits and failings of linearity in FFX and FFXIII. It's like arguing about whether a color is more scarlet or red.

FFXIII has its failings, and I can't really see myself playing through the 25 hour tutorial a second time. But I like most of the characters, the world is fun to run [strike]around[/strike] along, and the battle system is fast paced and fun.

So basically it might not be some grand open-world adventure but criticizing a JRPG for linearity is like calling out an FPS because it involves shooting things.
    FFXIII is to JRPGs what an on-rails shooter is to the FPS genre. It gives a whole new meaning to 'linear'.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's like when they tied that Elven rope around Gollum's neck.

"THE FINAL FANTASY, IT BURNS USSSSS!"

I like how everyone's arguing about "distractions" like their attention span is shorter than that of a gerbil.

Anyone who argue that either X or XIII offered an adequate amount of exploration are delusional. FFX's "side-quests" mostly involved:
    a) Things you pick up as you play through the game
    or
    b) Return to an old location and, hey, new monster! Let's kill it!

Granted, that's MUCH more than XIII can offer, but saying X wasn't linear is pretty much wrong.

And both the Calm Lands and Gran Pulse were obscenely annoying to traverse, and both the missions from XIII and the monster arena from X were pretty pointless and lazy ways to extend the playtime of the "has-to-do-absolutely-everything" type of player.

Blog Entries

FFX's end game (especially the version with Penance) shares certain "qualities" with MMORPGs. It's an insane, insane grinding session that drives you to doing things like reading a book at the same time... but it's really satisfying (enough to forgive) when you get to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by arcanedude34 View Post
    I like how everyone's arguing about "distractions" like their attention span is shorter than that of a gerbil.

Anyone who argue that either X or XIII offered an adequate amount of exploration are delusional. FFX's "side-quests" mostly involved:
    a) Things you pick up as you play through the game
    or
    b) Return to an old location and, hey, new monster! Let's kill it!

Granted, that's MUCH more than XIII can offer, but saying X wasn't linear is pretty much wrong.

And both the Calm Lands and Gran Pulse were obscenely annoying to traverse, and both the missions from XIII and the monster arena from X were pretty pointless and lazy ways to extend the playtime of the "has-to-do-absolutely-everything" type of player.
    As I said, X is linear. XIII just takes that linearity to an entirely new level.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post

Let's not use the tired out tactic of attacking the person rather than their argument.

I'm not attacking you. I'm pointing out that your argument is flawed, ignorant, and misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Arrow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post

Let's not use the tired out tactic of attacking the person rather than their argument.

I'm not attacking you. I'm pointing out that your argument is flawed, ignorant, and misinformed.
    You are still doing it. Care to enlighten us on what I have said in my recent post which is inaccurate? Care to tell me what XIII has compared to X and the things I listed? If I am spreading misinformation then here is your chance to set the record straight....address the points I have just made?

These are just some of the distractions that X had, now, what does XIII have? You tell me? Because what I have seen is monster hunts (in 1 area with no real pay off compared to X) a pathetic little chocobo game as a consolation and that is it. Every review I have read makes no mention of anything else compared to the above.

All it does say is that you spend much of the game tapping autobattle.
    Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 04-12-2010 at 08:55 PM.

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mayhaps if you played the game before spending some weeks on a Final Fantasy message board complaining about how terrible it is, you might be better informed about what said game does and does not contain.

Articles
    Blog Entries

He's right on every point though. Basically it's what all the critics say and what all the fanboys are still denying.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own BRRRAAAIINNSSS View Post
    Mayhaps if you played the game before spending some weeks on a Final Fantasy message board complaining about how terrible it is, you might be better informed about what said game does and does not contain.
    If I had lied to you, you would not have been any the wiser. I chose to tell you. I am repeating things (and making my own observations known) I have seen on numerous youtube vids, reviews and also developer comments. I don't think that lessens my position at all, you will notice I do not directly criticise the story because I haven't seen it in its entirety. I do know I wouldnt like it based on what I actually have read and seen from a multitude of places but I certainly won't debate it fully.

But if you think that means I can't debate soundly the things I have read and seen gameplay wise, purely because my hand wasn't gripping a control pad, sorry but that is yet another bogus position to hold, and of course is not debating my points. Another attempt to circumnavigate what I and others are saying.

Following that rather flawed logic, a house designer needs to be able to brick build before he can actually criticise a design plan. Sorry, doesn't work that way. if I see autobattle being pressed ona walkthrough an awful lot, am I to conclude I need to play the game before I can know that autobattle is being pressed a lot?

There is 1 thing storywise that turned me off from the start and that was flashy hollywood style graphics and scenes, like out of control battles and scene changes. I knew from the minute I saw that that the story would not be my cup of tea but I thought gameplay would save it and sadly, no, it hasn't. So far gone with the JRPG elements, the designers themselves have had to resort to explaining themselves.

If anything else, THAT should tell you right there that this game has massive flaws.
    Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 04-12-2010 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    FFX's end game (especially the version with Penance) shares certain "qualities" with MMORPGs. It's an insane, insane grinding session that drives you to doing things like reading a book at the same time... but it's really satisfying (enough to forgive) when you get to the top.
    Perhaps for you, but that seems all too much like, say, schoolwork or something, with the ultimate payoff being "Wow, I did it. I'm done, so now I can go do something fun!"

And seifer, before I throw in my two cents on whether or not your arguments against the story are valid, have you watched all or most of the scenes yourself? Or are you going on what reviewers have said?

Oh, and for the record, yes you do end up hitting auto-battle a lot. The fun comes in assigning your paradigms and deciding which is the most useful for the current situation. In a lot of respects, this makes it the most tactical Final Fantasy in the main series yet, save perhaps X-2.