Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Console Horror Games!

Blog Entries

Default Console Horror Games!

From what I've seen, most horror games take the form of classic adventure games, and are normally on the PC. However, one of my favorite horror games, Clock Tower, was released on the Super Famicom. So, I wanted to know what EyesOn's favorite console horror games are to see what I'm missing!

So, tell me about your favorite console horror games!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Resident Evil Twooooo

That would be Silent Hill. Definitely.

Dinner is served. Unbreakable Will's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Silent Hill, haven't played personally but I've watched it played and seen the movie. Its great.

Because I'm one hell of a butler.

Splatterhouse.

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It wasn't as scary as it was suspenseful and easy to die: Shadowgate

The original Resident Evil on the Playstation definitely made me jump a few times too.
    Figaro Castle

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Silent Hill is the greatest horror series for its psychological pathos and metaphysical ambiguity, as well as its ability to frighten the player even when no actual danger is present—perhaps owing most to the subtle yet suffocating nature of its sound design. In Silent Hill 2, for example, you can find the first enemy within five to ten minutes of starting the game, but a first-time player is likely to spend twenty minutes inching down a winding, misty forest trail where menacing abominations seem to snarl just out of sight and the sound of someone else's footfall follows your own. While technically posing no real threat, it's one of the most impenetrably dreadful parts of the game.

Even when you do encounter enemies, their patterns are usually easy to predict and manipulate. But again, the atmosphere alone can make them absolutely terrifying. In Brookhaven Hospital, there's one particular hallway that's pitch-black beyond the limited range of your flashlight, and your only hint that you're approaching any number of shambling, faceless nurses is the pounding drum beat of this track—gradually ramping as you near them, your heart rate racing to match as it reaches its fevered peak.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can't speak about SH 3 and 4, but 1 and 2 are incredibly terrifying games. After I played the first one I had nightmares. The second one, well... just read what Kishi wrote.

The Resi games have their moments but in this day and age, they're just too cheesy to be effective.

Fatal Frame hasn't been mentioned yet. It's certainly got its moments, though it's not on a par with Silent Hill or anything.

I have high hopes for Alan Wake, though it's not survival horror per se.

Silent Hill 1-3
    Forbidden Siren 1-3

Blog Entries

Fatal Frame 1-3 are all great. I haven't played 4 but have seen it played and it looks pretty good as well.

It's been stated before, but really, Silent Hill man. Silent freaking Hill. I've played all but 4 and Origins and they are awesomely atmospheric, intense, and surprising in how they go. Homecoming not so much, but the less said about that the better...

Also, Siren is a really freaky time. Being defenseless or having limited ammo and having to sneak around while Sightjacking enemies to try and keep tabs them really gets you tense, making that person behind you with a pitchfork even more startling. Especially if you happen to Sightjack them and just see yourself from their eyes. Bloody brilliant and terrifying at night.

On the other end of the spectrum, the original Resident Evil games scare you not with a sense of dread and atmosphere, but startle you with dogs through windows and camera angles that leave you walking straight into the undead. Not the same style of horror and not my preferred one, but fun nonetheless.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ghouls n' Ghosts and Silent 2.

There was also this game that my cousin had for a Sega system and it was on a space ship. It wasn't Doom, but it was pretty friggin' scary. It's unfortunate that I cannot remember the name.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own BRRRAAAIINNSSS View Post
    The Resi games have their moments but in this day and age, they're just too cheesy to be effective.
    Definitely agree with you, but only in terms of the titles released up until RE4. 4 is an absolute masterpiece, and I was startled at my ability to take the game all-too seriously; a response the series has never elicited from me before. Some absolutely freaky stuff in this game.

I'm actually just now starting to grow curious about horror games. I have Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly, which many claim is the best one. I only played the start of Silent Hill 2. I'd certainly like to try more of the series.
    Currently playing: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Oh definitely 7th Guest! nah just joking.

Silent Hill 1 and 2 of course. I was actually a lot more freaked out in Silent Hill 1, but thats cause I was a lot younger when I played it. By all accounts Silent Hill 2 is probably a better game.
    Last edited by Croyles; 04-09-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Croyles View Post
    Silent Hill 1 and 2 of course. I was actually a lot more freaked out in Silent Hill 1, but thats cause I was a lot younger when I played it. By all accounts Silent Hill 2 is a much better game.
    Actually, I would argue that SH was scarier than SH2 regardless of the age you play it at. SH2 was a great game with great characters and story and some genuinely disturbing moments, but it felt like they pulled their punches a bit when they made it. Although there are some terrifying moments, it wasn't as effective at making me want to save and shut off the game because I couldn't take it anymore as the first game was.

But while we're on the topic of which SH is scarier, SH3 is scarier than both combined. If SH2 was where they pulled their punches a bit, then SH3 is where they pulled out all the stops. Plus it has an amusement park haunted house. I mean really, an honest to god haunted house in a SH game. I swear when I came across it I had to take a minute or two just to work up the nerve to walk in.