Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Black & White

Oh, c'mon, Tav. Everyone knows that Unown and Ledian are just awesome!

Unown should get a different abiliity. Given how much the Pokedex and now even an in-game event talks about them having strange powers in groups, they should get automatic stat boosts the more of them there are in your party. They'd still be unplayable, what with only one attack, but not so laughable pitiful.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Ice type pokemon could use a buff. They're only resistant to their own type (why the hell doesn't ice resist water?) and have limited usefulness beyond killing dragons. They're also weak to many popular types, which makes them virtually unusable. On that note, nerf dragons. It was fine when there were like... maybe six dragon types, but there's a -ton of them now, and they're just obnoxious.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Especially with the now-very-broken 120 power Outrage and Dragon Dance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Game Freak has announced that this game will feature radical innovation in the series
    Nintendo game
    innovation
    Oh Game Freak, you so crazy.

there was a picture here

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Unown should get a different abiliity. Given how much the Pokedex and now even an in-game event talks about them having strange powers in groups, they should get automatic stat boosts the more of them there are in your party. They'd still be unplayable, what with only one attack, but not so laughable pitiful.
    Unown are such a weird case. There's 26+ of them flying around, and none of the forms are significant from the other, and all they do is change the visuals. It's not like a Burmy that changes type based on coat (environment). Now that is a good idea. In PvE, the environment has to affect how you play, because after a certain point, all you're doing to fighting the same five trainers over and over and over. You'd think that with "strange" powers, they would at least be good Psychic, Dark, or Ghost type users, and yet they are not. Hidden Power is only kind of cool.

I hacked a Ledian to have Megahorn. I roflstomped.

Ice type pokemon could use a buff. They're only resistant to their own type (why the hell doesn't ice resist water?) and have limited usefulness beyond killing dragons. They're also weak to many popular types, which makes them virtually unusable. On that note, nerf dragons. It was fine when there were like... maybe six dragon types, but there's a -ton of them now, and they're just obnoxious.
    If you throw some water onto an ice block, the block doesn't get bigger. If anything, depending on the temperature of the water, the ice might even melt. The water might even be salt water, which will cause all Hell to break loose. There's only so many empirical situations where a type could beat another type. The converse is that if you throw some ice at a cup of water, the water will simply displace, but ultimately not change shape unless the distribution pattern was disruptive enough to break the container: i.e, if you throw it hard enough so that flies everywhere.

Which brings me to another point that I'm sure some people have heard before: why in the smurf does Psychic beat Poison?

Look at all the great poisoners in history. They all had serious mental issues. Just one little mental suggestion would be all that it would take to get them to hurt themselves instead of their victims.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Fragaria addict Recognized Member Momiji's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Huh, I never thought of it that way. I just thought they had some way of stopping the flow of poison with telekinesis or something

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Hidden Power is only kind of cool.
    Hidden Power is only cool when you can hack IVs to guarantee that it will be useful. Like my Jolteon with 70 Power, Ice type Hidden Power.

If you throw some water onto an ice block, the block doesn't get bigger. If anything, depending on the temperature of the water, the ice might even melt. The water might even be salt water, which will cause all Hell to break loose. There's only so many empirical situations where a type could beat another type. The converse is that if you throw some ice at a cup of water, the water will simply displace, but ultimately not change shape unless the distribution pattern was disruptive enough to break the container: i.e, if you throw it hard enough so that flies everywhere.

Which brings me to another point that I'm sure some people have heard before: why in the smurf does Psychic beat Poison?
    All fair points, but as you point out, the type arrangements aren't necessarily based upon empirical situations. Aside from the psychic/poison disjoint, there's also the question of how exactly bug gains offensive bonuses against psychic and dark types. I mean, it kind of sort of makes sense. Ice only has one type resistance while being weak to fire, steel, rock, and fighting, all of which are frequently used. Given that ice is really the only guaranteed means of countering dragon types, you'd think they'd allow them to not be so easily countered.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    Hidden Power is only kind of cool.
    Hidden Power is only cool when you can hack IVs to guarantee that it will be useful. Like my Jolteon with 70 Power, Ice type Hidden Power.
    well lucky you...

I only have a 67 ice hidden power on my jolteon, which was good enough for me.
    I would buy the eevee(Celadon city), then turn to the guy and find out it's hidden power type. Then I went to a thing online at some site (i don't remember) where you type in the stats and stuff and find out the IV's and the strength of the hidden power. I was actually shooting for grass type, but when I got the 67 ice, I was like... good enough!

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Here's a completely fake 5th Generation for those interested. You can tell it's fake because of how different the spriting style is from Zorua and Zoroark (the sprites are much more spacier than the ones of the two confirmed 5th Generation Pokemon).

Though I do admit it's pretty neat. I like how there's quite a lot of completely original designs, like Miroreflect, Silvicious, and Dunedrill. If I had to say which one I like best, it would be Nawale.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Look at all the great poisoners in history. They all had serious mental issues. Just one little mental suggestion would be all that it would take to get them to hurt themselves instead of their victims.
    Well, Kefka took over the world, so shouldn't he be God type? Of course, that would also mean Water is weak to Poison. However, I think that would be a rather cool twist to the whole situation.

All fair points, but as you point out, the type arrangements aren't necessarily based upon empirical situations. Aside from the psychic/poison disjoint, there's also the question of how exactly bug gains offensive bonuses against psychic and dark types. I mean, it kind of sort of makes sense. Ice only has one type resistance while being weak to fire, steel, rock, and fighting, all of which are frequently used. Given that ice is really the only guaranteed means of countering dragon types, you'd think they'd allow them to not be so easily countered.
    Well there are "defensive" and "offensive" types. Ice happens to be one of them, and we know about STAB. For those not in the know, it's good against Grass, Flying, Ground, Bug, and Dragon. There's a brickton of Pokemon that are useful that fall into category. Flying and Ground are pretty damn common, and Dragon, as you pointed out, needs a nerf anyways. More than half (if not almost all) evolved competitive Pokemon can learn Ice Beam (the quintessential Ice move), and that attack can sometimes cause Freeze, too. I would argue that Ice is fairly well balanced, even if it is on the "offensive" sliding scale.

As for the types that it is weak to, two of them are other "offensive" types, Fire and Fighting. You don't commonly see Rock and Steel offensive moves (but when you do, it's pretty hilarious due to how effective it is). Rock and Steel fill their niches quite well, as the types they are strong against can be filled out by other attacks with far less difficulty. Fire is useful in every situation due to having half of the attacks at 80+ power, but that offense is more on brute force rather than thinking, an apt spiritual comparison in my opinion. Defensively, Ice is only weak to two other offensive types, and what nutjob uses a Rock Pokemon to fight a glass cannon battle anyways?

I can understand Bug from an in-universe perspective: it's likely to be one of the first types you get, which means it gets stomped all over everything afterwards, but at the end of the game, you find out that it's superior to some of the intended "best" types, Ghost and Psychic (and if Psychic weren't broken at the time, you'd find Poison to be useful too, which Bug could also beat up on), like a true Rock, Paper, Scissors. Problem is, they forgot to give Bug a useful move with higher than 60 power, and give it to Pinsir or Scyther. Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    Here's a completely fake 5th Generation for those interested. You can tell it's fake because of how different the spriting style is from Zorua and Zoroark (the sprites are much more spacier than the ones of the two confirmed 5th Generation Pokemon).

Though I do admit it's pretty neat. I like how there's quite a lot of completely original designs, like Miroreflect, Silvicious, and Dunedrill. If I had to say which one I like best, it would be Nawale.
    You can also tell it is fake because most of those are sprite edits of other Pokemon, and how almost every Pokemon in there is part of a three Pokemon evolutionary family.

I like how that list shows Steelix as a Rock/Ground.

Some of those Pokemon aren't bad though.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aibyla Secura View Post
    Eck they won't stop coming D:
    They've got a lot love to give.

I for one, cannot wait for Pokemon Mauve.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post

All I can say is thank god because that is a piss poor fakedex.
    jkhkjg

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Tell me when they release a Pokémon game with every Pokémon able to be captured in one. Then I'll be interested. I honestly wish they would just start making them expansions instead of completely new games. I can sort of see the reasoning why they don't (features don't mix) but I can't stand how you basically need to buy every game to get all the Pokémon, and even then, you have to spend ages transferring them from one to another and even then there is a good chance you'll need to trade with someone who managed to get a Pokémon at some kind of exclusive event.

If they someday make a console version of this game I'd probably be all over it. But they won't. Sigh.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!