Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Release of Final Fantasy Gaiden announced

Default US Release of Final Fantasy Gaiden announced

The 4 Heroes Of Light Or Final Fantasy Gaiden Going International // Siliconera

Thoughts? Opinions?

I'll probably get it. I've been itching for a classic-styled Final Fantasy that wasn't a remake of a previous game. Also, one of the jobs is "Playboy," how do you beat that?

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Despite appearances, this isn't really a classic-style Final Fantasy; its gameplay is very different—and, in some crucial ways, even more constrained. I'm not convinced it'll actually be fun.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was interested in learning more about this game until you posted that link Kishi. I'm pretty sure I don't want to play this game after reading that.

Keep in mind that that's one review. Every other review I've read has said that the game does evoke a sense of nostalgia, depsite a bit of awkwardness (assuming the same awkwardness that plagued III and IV DS, and I enjoyed both of those games, so...)

And the two DS remakes also delight in screwing you over any chance they got anyway, so it's par for the course.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it.
    Last edited by arcanedude34; 04-09-2010 at 05:48 PM.

It sounds like a lot of fun! I'll keep an eye out for this game.

Blog Entries

I'd buy pretty much any game that has Final Fantasy in the title, and I look it looks to be pretty fun, so why not?
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Blog Entries

Looks cute. I might get it. In reading the review Kishi linked us to, it may not seem as good as it could be, but to me, the flaws of the game that the article mentioned are a little over-dramatised.

Unless the game is harder than it looks, I don't think I'll be using many items anyway, for example. So the restricted inventory may not be a big issue.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    Despite appearances, this isn't really a classic-style Final Fantasy; its gameplay is very different—and, in some crucial ways, even more constrained. I'm not convinced it'll actually be fun.
    That sounds terrible. I didn't really plan on having an interest in this anyway.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Here comes the salvation for the XIII haters.

What? You mean I've been trying to play through this game, not understanding a word of it, only to find out that it's actually being released in English?

Awesome.

I have found it to be quite fun though. And the constraints aren't really a problem, since the AI is smart enough when it comes to auto targetting. The only potential problem that I can think of is trying to heal a character who's still well when you've got other characters in critical health (in other words, you've given up on keeping them alive for that battle and you're wanting to heal the only likely survivor). It may not have the trademark traits of Final Fantasy like the victory fanfare, or the title screen music at the beginning, but it's fun enough that you won't mind.

What's also fun about the game is that the characters' equipment is actually reflected all the time. You can even make the characters cross dress. Also, this isn't a typical Light Warrior Final Fantasy game where you're restricted to light warriors only. You'll be able to get temporary characters whose equipment and spells you can also customize (so they're more like FFII temporary characters than FFIII DS temporary characters).

There's a lot of stuff I don't get about the game though, like how those five orange orbs get consumed by physical attacks when you have none left, how much of those gems get used by changing classes, how team up attacks work, etc. Oh well, I've been able to make it to the desert town with this helping me out when I lose my way, and not knowing those above things I listed hasn't gotten me killed, so it's all good.

As for the issues you're worried about, the limited inventory isn't much of a problem, since you have an item storage area in towns and the game is easy enough that you won't have to load up on items (it may take a few tries going through certain parts, like the boss you face after getting Unita, but I haven't had to power-level to make it through any parts yet). And I guess the game does have the awkwardness of FFIII and FFIV to a degree (old school gameplay with 3D graphics). I'd say if anything, the gameplay resembles Dragon Quest more than it does Final Fantasy, with the limited item space and not having full control in battles like you do in Final Fantasy (especially when it comes to choosing exact targets), how the game doesn't specify where you're supposed to go next (I only got this from that one review Kishi gave a link to, and this may be untrue if the guy has as little fluency in Japanese as I do), and how you need to talk to a specific NPC to save (he appears in multiple places, so you've got plenty of places to save). The constraints also add to the old school touch, though most of them have never been present in mainstream FF games.

Bottom line, take the facts and make an opinion from there, but don't take that review's opinion as fact.

...Sheesh, this is messed. Back then, I was the one with the negative opinions and people had to intervene and show that things weren't as bad as I made them out to be. Now it's the other way around. At least people are hating on me less now.
    Last edited by Evastio; 04-15-2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Needed to Add Other Details

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Another FF spin-off where the characters look like a bunch of kindergartens.. Not interested.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Well I'll still give it a try since it looks so cool. I know Miriel will be happy to know it is coming out in English since she loves all the cute characters and their little outfits.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

That link actually made me look forward to this game. I recently played through Dragon Warrior III and Phantasy Star 1 and enjoyed both of them, so I just really dig archaic RPG design.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I'm still looking forward to this. So happy that it's getting localized! I was worried that like Blood of Bahamut, this would stay in Japan.

The limited inventory and peculiar gameplay have me a bit worried, but I'm willing to give it a go!

Blog Entries

Why is limited inventory ever even considered?!