Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MGS4

Boco MGS4

Does it get better? Just got this game for my birthday, and so far I'm AMAZINGLY underwhelmed. Just wondering if it gets better soon (just met Drebin, REALLY hate him)

Articles
    Blog Entries

The first two acts are about 75% of the fun (and gameplay time) in this game. My theory is that Kojima left the game to be handled by Michael Bay and JK Rowling after that, just to troll the fans.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Oh. If the game's beginning is the better part, then I think I may just return it, because I was playing through waiting for it to get good. At all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The whole game was fun for me. I just had to get used to the controls. I can't remember too much from it, but I played it mostly for its story.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arcanedude34 View Post
    Oh. If the game's beginning is the better part, then I think I may just return it, because I was playing through waiting for it to get good. At all.
    that's probably the best course of action. If I knew how hard this game would troll me I wouldn't have played it either. Or at least not past the first two acts (though the fourth one is awesome for its nostalgia factor). How come you didn't like them?
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I... loved it, all the way through. I thought they did a wonderful job adding new game mechanics and the story kept my attention wonderfully. True, the cutscenes get a little long, but in the end it does provide a great resolution to the story.

Act 3, I believe, is the first act that really requires you sneak exclusively. You can get through the other parts with stealth, though you're also given the option to run-and-gun. I would play at least until you get to experience that. It was one of my favorite parts of the game. If you still aren't enjoying yourself at that point, then you may want to return it.

It just lacks the same feel, I think, as the other games. It feels more like a straight shoot-'em up, which I despise. The mapping is terrible, and lacks any sense of direction. This is the first game I'm finding myself getting turned around and having no clue where to go. And the third game was set in a mostly featureless jungle.

I hate how useless the camo is in this game. The cutscenes go on far longer than necessary. Yes. I get it. Drebin likes war. Can we move on?

I may end up just watching the cutscenes on YouTube, as I mostly bought this game for a resolution to the plot (or a continuation because of the two PSP games announced, but whatever.)

Shame, because it looked like a great game from what I had seen.

Articles
    Blog Entries

What do you mean camo is useless? It's way more useful than in the third game. Plus you can sneak around if you want, MGS has always been about choosing between sneaking or just shooting everyone. And there's a map that tells you where to go.

But if you don't like it then there's nothing to be done about that. But I can assure you that the ending sucks balls (unless you like the cornyness of Harry Potter) and it's a pain in the ass to watch over 9 hours of cutscenes.

I had it for a while, beat it and traded it in. Some of the cut scenes were too long and for some of them I just nipped downstairs for a cup of tea and came back up to find they were STILL playing. I loved the first three, so I am a fan of the series but oh man, MGS4 was such a bore at times.

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry but are you guys playing the same MGS4 I did

Apparently. I want his copy. D:

I found the first two acts the most enjoyable. It was kinda downhill from there for me. Overall I enjoyed the game but once I was done with the campaign I really had no reason to go back to it. Dont hate on me my PS3 brethren!

Twisted Reality Shattered Dreamer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I found the first two acts the most enjoyable. It was kinda downhill from there for me. Overall I enjoyed the game but once I was done with the campaign I really had no reason to go back to it. Dont hate on me my PS3 brethren!
    I'll agree that once the story is done there isn't much left to do with the game (I'm not much of an online gamer you see) but were you not tempted to play again on a higher difficulty? I started playing MGS4 on Big Boss Hard a few hours a week just before I bought FFXIII & I find an increase in difficulty takes the game to a whole other level! Plus having not played the game for several months I got drawn right back in by the story & as a game play experience MGS4 is still one of the most intense experiences on the PS3! Boring is never a word that crosses my mind when I play MGS4 sorry guys!

Loved every single second of it. There's no denying how much this game has been polished.

Cutscenes aside, the pace and variety in objectives and events is amazing. I recommend you at least get to act 4. If that doesn't get you psyched to keep playing then it's a hopeless cause.

Blog Entries

Can I have your disc?