Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I made a review of the game's story with a graph (MAJOR spoilers)

Default So I made a review of the game's story with a graph (MAJOR spoilers)

Just like the title says.

I've been posting this up on forums across the land, gamefaqs, ign, etc. and figured this would be a good place too.

I'd post it here directly, but it was 6 pages in word... so I'll just link you to the specific blog post

The Refined Gamer: Final Fantasy XIII - A story in review

I've learned since posting this that there were some plot points I failed to understand, and I now do. Even so, the presentation of them was a little too confusing, so my ratings remain the same.

Enjoy!

I hope to discuss this with you guys here =)

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Added a spoiler tag to your thread title. I didn't read the whole article on account that I haven't finished the game yet but so far I agree with your graph. I actually laughed cause the graph pretty much represented my feelings so far about the plot with chapter 7 and 8 being the two best story chapters and then it all comes crashing down in 9-11 (haven't started 12 yet). I'll read the whole thing when I finally finish the game.

Thanks a lot for the spoiler tag man!

Glad you agree on those points. I specifically messed up on the details of Barth's motivations and the final chapter of the game, before people explain it to me

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

(SPOILER)I also assume that the entire population is killed shortly after since the wildlife there were giving highly powerful l'cie trouble, let alone a bunch of humans.
    Hahaha. Best concluding line of any FFXIII plot based review I have heard yet.

I like the concept of adding graphs to reviews of games like you have. It makes for a very interesting starting point for debate, or at the very least is quite humorous.

Good synopsis of plot.

Haha, glad you liked it!

I'm planning on someday playing through and reviewing all of the Final Fantasies. I've already played 1,2,6,7,12 and 13, but I've still got quite a few to go before such a project is started.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by review
    The story just went from slowly piecing itself together while retaining humanity, to just vomiting all over the player.
    I agree with this so, so much. The end of chapter 9 and chapter 10's entire existence really destroyed my hope for this game's plot. The rest just continued in that same haphazard fashion.

I don't know how you reach 8.5 overall from your review, sound smore like a 5 to me...

I gave the plot itself that rating. I enjoyed the battle system, thought the graphics were beautiful, and found myself rating the game's voice acting above most video games.

I'd say as a whole the game is a very solid 8, but the plot itself is not.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I just realized that not only are we in almost complete agreement on the plot, but we even gave the overall game the same rating: you said 7.5-8/10; my review, which will be up on the frontsite whenever I get around to coding it, was a 7.5. Great minds think alike!

Your graph does seem to make sense in terms of relative quality of the chapters, but your points of comparison are way, way off. I wouldn't rate a single point of the game I've played so far anywhere near Chrono Trigger or Mass Effect in terms of story quality.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I new I would disagree with the labels as soon as I saw them, so I chose to ignore them. It is better if you just take it as a relative scale in and amongst the chapters.

Banned
    Blog Entries

The reference to other story's quality is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by zombiedude55 View Post
    The reference to other story's quality is stupid.
    No, not if you are using it as a reference. To place a number by something you need a reference point. I prefer the references would have stayed within FF games but it doesn't matter.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Chapter 13 does not have the same story quality as Final Fantasy 1. That is an exaggeration.
    Last edited by demondude; 04-13-2010 at 12:36 AM.