View Poll Results: Which game do you think has the clearest storyline?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy I

4 10.53%
  • Final Fantasy II

3 7.89%
  • Final Fantasy III

1 2.63%
  • Final Fantasy IV

6 15.79%
  • Final Fantasy V

3 7.89%
  • Final Fantasy VI

5 13.16%
  • Final Fantasy VII

2 5.26%
  • Final Fantasy VIII

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy IX

2 5.26%
  • Final Fantasy X

9 23.68%
  • Final Fantasy XI

1 2.63%
  • Final Fantasy XII

1 2.63%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

1 2.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Even a five year old could understand THAT.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Even a five year old could understand THAT.

With the criticism FFXIII has come in for recently due to people finding the storyline confusing and complicated, which FF game do you think had the clearest storyline? Just talking the main series, here.

Feel free to discuss the storylines of the various games (mark spoilers with the game name - eg [spoiler</>="ff1 spoiler"]ff1spoiler[</>/spoiler] which becomes ff1 spoilerff1spoiler) and which you think are more or less complicated than others.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIII had a complicated storyline? I can understand the confusing part, but it lacked any substance so I don't see how it can be called 'complicated'.

Anyway, I'd say FFX. Your goal is pretty much clear-cut from the beginning and it doesn't stray from it aside from one twist.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I voted VI because it's my favourite, but really any game pre-VII was pretty clear about what was going on all of the time. Probably in part due to the fact that the space on the cartridges was so limited that it made sure they kept things clear and to the point a lot of the time. I mean you can sum up the overall story of FFVI as FFVI spoilerevil empire using magic to take over the world. Fight evil empire. Kefka destroys the world. Fight Kefka. Mind you the straight forward nature of the overall plot isn't all that made it clear. It also helped that what you were doing and where you were going typically had a clearly explained purpose that made sense in the context of the story.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

Not the first game by a long shot, oddly enough.

Blog Entries

I think FFX had a pretty clear-cut storyline. As kotora has said, the two key protagonists in Tidus and Yuna are unwavering in their goals. And there aren't any spanners thrown into the works until the end, at which point, the player sort of already knew what the twist was going to be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think FFXIII's was pretty easy, all you had to do was read through the datalogs when you were asked to.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

FF VII appears on the poll twice

I suppose the flowery language put some shiny ? on it, but I found Final Fantasy XII pretty straightforward. You had your goal and did it and then it ended.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

FFV or FFIII I think.

I suppose the flowery language put some shiny ? on it, but I found Final Fantasy XII pretty straightforward. You had your goal and did it and then it ended.
    I was pretty confused from start to finish, lol. Maybe I'm just dumb...
    Last edited by No.78; 04-12-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    jkhkjg

Banned
    Blog Entries

I was going to vote for FFVIII as a joke but the poll sucks. :P

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I always felt VI's was straightforward. "Bad Empire Vs. Rebels -> Group of People Vs. Madman". DONE!

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Why is 10 winning? I thought the whole dream summoning cycle of death stuff was reasonably complicated. You couldn't easily explain it to someone, let's put it that way.
    jkhkjg

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

This is going to be a fun thread to skim
    I would like to point out that any story can be boiled down to: bad guy wants to do X, heroes stop him. Such simplifications can be applied to any game to defend ones preference and are of no use.

FFI
    Time loop? Though not mind numbingly difficult it blew way over my head when I first played FFI, mostly because of how simple a story I had been experiencing up to that point. Most definately not simple.

FFIII
    The story was fairly simple, but threw in a few plot points that deviated from the norm. The most difficult points to grasp would be why the gift of mortality would be considered the greatest gift of all, and that the World of Dark wasn't anymore evil than the world of Light, and the consequences of Light overwhelming Darkness were just as dire as Darkness overwhelming Light.

FFIV
    FFIV's story was very involved and epic, but there wasn't anything difficult to conceptualize. I would say that the story was very easy to understand.

FFV
    I haven't played it in a few years because I've been waiting for FFV DS, so I'm a little rusty on the fine details. Understanding Extedeath was a tree was something I knew a few people somehow missed, as well as the nature of the void. Other than that the story was fairly straightforward.

FFVI
    Thinking about it, the strength of FFVI was characters not plot. The plot I believe was very good, but it is the characters who make the game. The story was very simple to understand, it was the more subtle character emotions that were harder to understand. The whole Celes cliff scene totally went over my head when I first played it, I though she was just upset and went to do some cliff jumping to blow off some steam.

Way to miss out on the most powerful scene of the game.
    Don't laugh at me!

FFVII,VIII and IX
    Come on, are you joking?

FFX
    In FFX the goal was very clear the entire way and did not change. However, as it was noted earlier the whole Zanarkand/dream thing was a little bit to get your head around.

FFXII
    I thought the whole plot to FFXII was brutally simple and easy to understand, but a lot of people seem to find it to be a little hard to follow. I attribute this to it being the first one that had a little more focu on politics. Imo, the politics involved in the game are certainly a step above average FF fare, (which isn't saying much), but still incredibly simple.

FFXIII
    The plot of FFXIII was very simple, just hard to understand due to lack of explanation. A.k.a. it wasn't hard to understand because it was complicated, but poorly told.

And, after taking time to reflect on all titles, the winner is FFIV for not having anything that is out of the ordinary to understand.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    FFVIThinking about it, the strength of FFVI was characters not plot. The plot I believe was very good, but it is the characters who make the game. The story was very simple to understand, it was the more subtle character emotions that were harder to understand. The whole Celes cliff scene totally went over my head when I first played it, I though she was just upset and went to do some cliff jumping to blow off some steam.

Way to miss out on the most powerful scene of the game.
    Don't laugh at me!
    It's been a long time since I played the SNES version of FFVI, but I'm pretty sure the translation in that one glossed over it to deliberately make it kind of unclear due to Nintendo's censorship at the time. If you missed it then you're probably not the only one. I don't think I picked up on it at the time either (mind you I was 9).

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

V, the most complicated thing that happened was ExDeath hiding himself as a splinter in the butt of a little girl.