Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so scary!?

Banned

Because the game never actually ends and the story ends up taking a back seat to grinding/buying new stuff. The entire reason I play RPGs is for the narrative, getting to the next point to see what happens, and then sitting back and watching the conclusion once I've defeated the big baddie.

If FFXI and FFXIV had a storyline with an ending, I would play them. But that will never happen because the games would lose so much profitability.

XI may have an ongoing story but it has a very good ongoing story. And its by far the most story based MMO on the market. FFXIV will be similair. The story taking a backseat to grinding and getting gear is a choice the player makes.

Actually, FFXI's stories actually do have endings, and they are probably the best stories in the series. But RPG's aren't all about narrative. It's only recently some have become that.

In any case, if the game play doesn't suit you then there's no need to force yourself to play it. If you've never tried it just because of what people have told you, I'd recommend at least giving FFXIV a go (seems like it's going to be breaking the trend of other MMO's in recent years).

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mezlabor View Post
    The story taking a backseat to grinding and getting gear is a choice the player makes.
    That's hardly true in FFXI. You can barely progress in the game world, let alone the story!, unless you grind like a bitch.

The grind isn't that bad anymore, to be honest. There are many shortcuts that Square have introduced to make it a lot easier. But you still have to remember the generation FFXI comes from is extremely old (older than WoW), so it's unfair to compare anything new to it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Murd hit the nail on the head for me - it all comes down to whether or not you have someone to start with you. When you're on your own - especially in a game that was released some time ago - it's hard to get your head around the idea of joining parties with strangers and actually enjoying their company. To have a friend to communicate from the get-go means that you can always have someone, and that made the difference for me when I started playing with Danielle and Lev. I'm hoping that when FFXIV is released, we all get onto the same server somehow.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

You will be able to choose your server in xiv you can choose it now in XI.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

I agree that playing from the beginning with someone you know will be a big factor on whether or not I play this game. Maybe it won't be the end-all decision on playing because I've heard that XIV will be much more friendly to solo play but it'd still be nice to go about it with people I know. I like the idea of a dependable static team and knowing each other in real life or previously online would make setting up times to play so much easier.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mezlabor View Post
    You will be able to choose your server in xiv you can choose it now in XI.
    Yes, but whether or not everyone remembers to get the same server is another story. Hopefully we'll know a few days in advance what the server names are so we can all plan it out here before diving in.

FFXIV Character

Kelesis Aleid (Phoenix)

And every single EoFF member that plays should no doubt play on the same server.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Darn tootin'.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I think that's a great idea That way right from the get go people can hop in with the eoffers. It wont be as scary that way and it'll all be new to everyone so it wont be like someone is having to waste their time explaining something to you.

I'd be happy enough to join a server that EoFF is on. My main excitement is that I'll have Australian friends playing this time, so I have someone online during my peak time. That was always a problem with FFXI.

Now the question is how do In convince everyone I know across all the different forums, my linkshell, my ffx friends, and my real friends to get on the same server!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

You could just decide beforehand to go for the 6th server alphabetically or something!