Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so scary!?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Why is it so scary!?

It seems that at least with most FF fans, the whole transfer to MMO's is a big step. We spend hours and hours and hours in these other worlds by ourselves and just the NPC's. We go to find things and we grind until we're high enough to beat a boss! Yet when we change that over to an MMO's it's scary and most wont go for it.

Why do you think is this?

Do you think that XIV might be able to snatch those FF fans that are big scardey cats?

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Most people I know will be transferring from FFXI to FFXIV with little hesitation, so I'm not quite sure what you're on about!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Maybe cause you don't actually own the character in the same way you do offline. If they get rid of the server your character is just gone and there is nothing you can do about it. And you have to put up with other people, gross.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    Most people I know will be transferring from FFXI to FFXIV with little hesitation, so I'm not quite sure what you're on about!
    She means the transfer from playing offline RPGs to online ones.

When FFXI came out I had no interest in ever playing it. I thought, like many people, 'Why make it online? What a waste.' I think the main thing was that I didn't want to play with others in an RPG, something I always considered an individual experience. RPGs focus on story, battle, and character development, and I thought those items would be sacrificed for the sake of 'player interaction'. I was wrong. FFXI is one of the best FFs ever and it didn't lack in any of these departments. It has one of the best uses of the job system (second only to FF Tactics I'd say), a very involving plot if you pay attention to it, and some of the most memorable NPCs (Shantotto is one of my favorite NPCs ever).

Before FFXI most of my multiplayer experience was with fighting games and racers, stuff you just pick up and choose your character/battlefield, then beat on each other. Never anything cooperative. It's hard to transition into a cooperative mindset but it can easily be done, and it doesn't take much from your enjoyment of the game at all. It also really helps to start up the game with a friend who will be by your side from the beginning. I know I definitely would not have stuck with (or even started) FFXI without the companionship of Eleni.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by R2-DEL2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch! View Post
    She means the transfer from playing offline RPGs to online ones.
    Yeah that!

Blog Entries

It's like when Metroid Prime came out.

I always figured it was because kids couldn't convince their parents to pay monthly for a game.

And honestly, when you're talking about a huge company like Square-Enix you really don't have to worry about servers just disappearing. It's been 8 years and still no sign of them shutting it down (they have at least a year or two more worth of content in development).

In either case I look at it this way: I know so many people that pay much more than $15 on games per month that only really give you 12 hours experience with not much replayability. Now I'm not saying don't buy those games because some of them are amazing, but they'd still use the excuse that they don't have the money per month for an MMO.

On the other hand, some people just don't like the general game play of an MMO.

I for one am welcoming the new addition to my addiction that will ruin my life.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

I'm not scared! I just don't wanna, OKAY!?

On a serious note though, I just don't like to involve myself with online gaming to a large degree. I'm quite anti-social in that respect and I believe gaming should first and foremost be a solo experience. I know this is going to be a mindset that is going to be harder and harder for me to preserve because more and more games have online features these days.

It's not that I don't dig multiplayer. I play a lot of fighting games (albeit, more often in arcades than online). MMOs just carry this implication that you have to devote a lot of your time (and money) to them. And I play games fairly sporadically. Having said that.. FFXIV does look awesome so far. I'm more impressed by it than I was by FFXI when talk about it first started. So who knows? Maybe I'll be seeing you guys. xD

Blog Entries

You'd better or you're never gonna be a banana.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

My internet is bad and I don't like the monthly fee. That's the reason I'm not into MMOs

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Games are supposed to end.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For my part, because whilst I absolutely love co-op with a good friend like Barry Manilow, I have serious, crippling difficulty in playing with people I don't know. That's why I've played WoW so much; I can solo. I miss content, but I get enough to enjoy the game a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosWookiee View Post
    Games are supposed to end.
    Says who?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachompinbits View Post
    Maybe cause you don't actually own the character in the same way you do offline. If they get rid of the server your character is just gone and there is nothing you can do about it. And you have to put up with other people, gross.
    It's very rare that servers close completely. most major mmos merge servers rather then shut them down and erase your character. Even Ultima online and Everquest are still running a few servers. That being said a few mmos have failed and closed completly. Auto assault, Matrix Online and tabula rasa but it's rare for an mmo to close down completely.
    I never minded the shift to online when xi camer out and I am anxiously awaiting XIV

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Good thing FF11 can be considered to have an end then :p.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?