Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: When you're playing the game do you ever wish that Squall didn't fall for Rinoa?

No, I'm not FE - I'm just his fan.
    Yeah, kinda noticed...

However, it could easily just be just Square reusing sprites, I don't doubt that, I'm sure it's done all the time.
    That's all there is to it.

Second: The fact I deliberatly put quotes around the word "hints" is my way of saying that they probably aren't hints, just what someone has taken to be a hint - in this case FE, he saw/thought he saw Ellone appear during that scene on the spaceship (when it's meant to be Rinoa) and it either helped him with a theory he already had, or inspired him to start one - I don't know the exact order he "discovered" everything.
    What he "discovered" are only glitches and bugs present in every game. You can't build a theory from them.

The same goes with FE, whether he is right or wrong he doesn't just wake up one morning and go "Oh, I'll just go on EoFF and type a load of stuff about Rinoa and Ellone being the same person, and then I'll throw in that all the locations are on different times, and the color check confirms this!" - he actually draws these conclusion by studying the game, and what it *might* be hinting.
    Sorry, but that is exactly how I think he does it. And the game is not "hinting" anything at all. You people have to get over it.

... and like you said it could easily be that Rinoa and Ellone had the same sprite to begin with, and since Square wouldn't be using the "full" design of Rinoa to create to "ghost" effect, on the other hand it could just be Rinoa all the way through, and me and FE got confused because they look similar.
    Exactly. That's all there is to it.

In my opinion R=U is less plausible than FE's theories because it doesn't EVEN have a basis on hair and clothes (Rinoa and Ultimecia neither dress similar, act similar, nor look the same) even though FE based E=R on more than just their looks, whoever came up R=U based it on the fact that they are after each other in the ending - that's it!
    You're terribly wrong about the last part, but I'm not even going to bother.

I will admit that the S=G theory (which you haven't mentioned) is more plausible
    I haven't because it's not even worth mentioning.

but I don't think he *is* Squall, but I do think he's "part" of Squall, indeed if you scan him it says "In Squall's mind..." I think he's the personification of Squall's depression and general "I'm alone" emotion - this is supported by the fact that in the ending Squall returns to the place where he is fought - once again, I could be completly wrong.
    Finally! Something we can both agree with. Griever is Squall's creation: his incarnation of every value he holds in the highest regard: pride, strenght, courage (remember his fixation for lions, that is why Griever looks like one).

Also, I have always believed that Ultimecia "stole" the idea of Griever from Squall's mind, gave it life (it's implied that Sorceresses are able to give "life" to inanimated objects. Look at Krysta's scan.) and corrupted it to use as a weapon against Squall and his friends.

Imagine what Squall must have felt the instant Griever appeared before them. That is a low blow, if you ask me.

Do you mean names like "Hyne" and "Vascaroon"? Those names are used in the game.
    No. I know who Hyne and Vascaroon are. What I was reffering to was the names he chose for the rulers, kings, or whatever of Centra. I can't find the thread for the life of me, but I remember it was something that resembled the names of the main characters, but spelled differently and with added words like "von" or something along those lines (to look "cool" obviously.)

We know a weaker meteor fell from the sky, but was she on the meteor or already on "The Planet"? We don't know.
    Yeah, we do. The game doesn't call her "the calamity from the skies" for nothing.

Of course I realize now I was way off the mark, but that's what I thought at the time. (NOTE: The song's called "The Extreme" if you want to listen to it.)
    I have listened to it. And I really recommend a remix made by a group named SHADE. The album is called: GUARVAIL: FInal Fantasy Heavy Metal arrange album. It's pretty cool.

Well hopefully by now I've mangaged to show you that FE didn't come up with it from nowhere, he looked at things in the game and saw it that way, some of it I half saw myself. His theories may not be correct in the long run, but for the most part they make sense if you look at them from the right angle, same with the one I just mentioned - I didn't make it up as I went along, I genuinly thought that was what the game was saying, even though now, I know it wasn't.
    Sorry, no luck in that department.

As I said before, he's just seeing the game the way he wants but not the way it is. You don't need to elaborate such a complicated theory based on what you took as hints that weren't there to justify some technical failures you saw during the game. They don't need to be justified because they're not implying anything else. It's a mistake from either the programmers, or the graphic system or even the display capabilities from the PS. That's it.

Besides, if he truly applied the Occam's Razor as it was meant to be, he wouldn't have the need to go beyond what the game presents us (entities must not be multiplied beyond neccessity).

Let's take Ultimecia for example. We don't know who she is, if that's her real name, where she comes from, her age, etc. etc. But what we do know is that she loathes SeeD and hates people (read the script on the speech in Deling's parade. Those are Ultimecia's words, not Edea's) so much that she is going to the extent of wiping all life by compressing time, creating a world where only she could live.

Now, let's reflect a little on the Sorceress' Wars. They are a world wide event, like WWI and II were in our planet. What happens to the bad guys? The nazy are still the villains in many books, series and movies in our time. The entire world has a nasty opinion of them and it's not likely to change any time soon. Now extrapolate this concept to FFVIII. Sorceresses were already feared and hated before Ultimecia (that's why Rinoa was so disraught to know she'd turned into one), so imagine what would happen to them once Ultimecia had caused all the ruckus among the several nations.

Of course people would be terrified of them, not only because they've proved once more the destructive force they are capable of being, but also because now they know for sure that a Sorceress would raise one day to be the cruel Ultimecia and that she would be virtually unstoppable. So what would happen? Human nature at its worst: when we don't understand something, we fear it and we destroy it.

Don't go that far, it has happened before in our world. In the middle ages thousands of innocent women were tortured and slaughtered because the Church claimed they were witches. People were afraid of them and collective paranoia led to their murders. Now imagine that same situation (the human factor, if you wish to call it) in a world where actual Sorceresses with REAL, POWERFUL and DANGEROUS magic exist.

Ultimecia might have been persecuted and developed the hate for humanity she shows in the game. We don't know how she got her powers or if she was born with them, but if you consider that she was a Sorceress among fearful people who thought her dangerous, even if she wasn't at the moment, then you can see what I mean.

There is a lot more, but I don't have the time nor the energy to type it. Go read Sir Bahamut's theory (which I have poorly displayed here, really, he's magistral) and you'll get what I want to say.

Those are ideas based on more than just glitches, clothing and hair. They are based on actual facts in the game and some inherent aspects of human beings. They don't need to go beyond what is presented to us in the game, but give a deeper perspective to a character we all know and few of us understand.

That's what FE's theories lack.
    Last edited by WhiteStorm; 04-02-2011 at 02:58 AM.

When I first saw the trailers of FFVIII, I was very excited about this couple, but that disappeared in the first disc.

Everything seemed to evolve around them and their feelings, even the other characters almost exclusively talk about them and their problems, not their own.

I thought Rinoa remained annoying throughout the series; she's a lot cooler in Monty Oum's Dead Fantasy movies than she ever was in the game

Well, I first played the game when I was 13, I obviouly didn't want Squall to fall in love mainly because, well...I had a crush on him

haha, but nowdays I just think she's an idiot, I hate how she puts herself into trouble just so Squall can save her, I hate how she acts, shes annoying and so bland imo.

I'dve really liked to see him with Quistis or someone more sane than Rinoa

They are the perfect match. Rinoas personality brought out the best in him whilst everyone else was too serious all the time, just like Squall.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Part of me wanted to see Quistis get together with someone - she really deserved some attention and closure in the romance department. However, she could do way better than Squall, so it's one of those situations where I wouldn't want her to get what she actually wants.

Still, I agree with what a lot of people were saying before the thread went on a tangent to Weirdsville: the "love triangle" with Squall, Rinoa and Seifer could've been made far bigger, adding more depth and conflict to all those characters. If Quistis' feelings for Squall had been handled the same way, too, then there would've been some pretty interesting character development and interaction going on.
    Either that, or some god-awful teen angst. We need to remember that these kids are 17 and 18, with scarcely the emotional maturity to tie their own shoelaces.

I would have to say that VII and VIII are two of my favorite games, with Squall + Rinoa as one of my favorite couples. I too thought they fit together perfectly. I never found her annoying, but did get really irritated with Selphie. I'll admit, I think I wanted to punch her at times. I thought she was childish and required too much attention from men (which is why Irvine's personality works for her). Quistis I thought was too motherly and serious for him.

In my opinion, both Rinoa and Squall are flawed and human, which is why they work so well together. They complement each other and change for the better. Squall is introverted, closed off, too serious, etc. Rinoa brings him out of his shell because she's so needy/annoying/whatever you guys want to call it. She sticks around, she shows that she wants to be with him, that she depends on him and cares for him. Maybe that's "needy" to some, but if you really like someone you don't mind the neediness. Rinoa on the other hand...someone said that she's too open/honest about what she wants...that there's no mystery to her...but maybe that open honesty is what Squall needs in a partner. He's so scared of getting hurt that being with someone as open as her comforts him. I actually like that she acts confident and sure of herself, even when she's not...she goes for what she wants! And I feel that she had more depth to her because she did put up a strong front until she actually faced battle, but Squall eventually sees how delicate she is. And doesn't everyone have a front to some extent? Getting past the mask that they put on is part of falling in love with them. They GROW together and that's why I think they make such a great couple.

Then again...I'm just a sucker for the whole "Even if the world becomes your enemy... I'll be your knight, I'll protect you." *swoon* <swoon> <swoon></swoon></swoon>
    Last edited by AngelWings8; 06-28-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Dude View Post
    I wanted to see him shag elvoret.
    When my rep limit is renewed, I'm back for this post.

I would've liked him to be with Quistis better, she's more of a motherly and caring figure. Squall is smurfed up and needs the help, Rinoa was too needy. However Squall x Quistis is touched on during the game, so I would've liked to at least see more of this triangle.

Although if it spawned something akin to the Cloud-Tifa-Aeris crap, oh man no.
    I'm still waiting for my rep btw.

Come on People. Squall and Rinoa go together like Anakin and Padme!

Blog Entries

Squall should've ended up wit....ZELL. It would have been a Rad bromance.

The romance in FFVIII has never really interested me, asides from the fact that Rinoa comes across incredibly immature at times.

What I would have liked to see at the end of the game is Raine somehow appearing after being saved due to Time Compression combined with Ellone's power... considering that the story seems to have circled around Ellone and her family (read: Laguna, Squall and the events that happened in Winhill etc) it would have been a nice ending... that and it would be massive food for thought for any fanfiction writers.

I never liked Rinoa, largely because she always came across as a real attention seeker and the classic damsel in distress in almost every scene. Not to mention she seemed to have a thing for both Seifer and Squall.

Personally, I always figured Quistis was more suited to Squall. It never really seemed as if her feelings were ever resolved during the course of the game, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelheim View Post
    I never liked Rinoa, largely because she always came across as a real attention seeker and the classic damsel in distress in almost every scene. Not to mention she seemed to have a thing for both Seifer and Squall.
    That freaked me out as well... the conversations in Timber, Galbadia Garden and in Deling City don't shut up about Seifer. Yet in disc 2, her attitude changes completely... its odd, she then falls over herself in FH trying to flirt with Squall - especially if you sent her to the missile base...

Quote Originally Posted by Caelheim View Post
    Personally, I always figured Quistis was more suited to Squall. It never really seemed as if her feelings were ever resolved during the course of the game, either.
    Hmm, that's something I never thought of, but I do remember Quistis saying that her feelings were remnants of her role as a big sister to them ("I guess I sorta took Sis... I mean Ellone's place") Disc2, Trabia.
    Professor Complexity
    "Because Complex Doesn't Mean Impossible..."

Rpg's should have sex scenes , I think... Just a sick desire. And yes, him shagging Quistis on the class table would have been hot.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Riot View Post
    Rpg's should have sex scenes , I think... Just a sick desire. And yes, him shagging Quistis on the class table would have been hot.
    Mass Effect.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy