Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: XIII: The Flaw thread

Blog Entries

I loved Lost Odyssey. You can tell where the talent went from S-E when you read some of the 1000 years of dreams. Has its flaws (doesn't everything) but it's a game that screams "Final Fantasy" in a more traditional - or at least 7-10 - sense. Definitely worth playing. I hope Mistwalker come up with more of similar!

The battle are really long. On some of these battles im like pounding them for 20 mins. None of the other FF's lasted that long per battle.( i am talking about random battles here lol) This is what will probably prevent me from replaying the game, unless it has a good game plus setting.

Default Perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanedude34 View Post
    Wolf is right, you're not gonna convince anyone who enjoyed the game to dislike it, just like I'm not gonna convince you to like it. Ah well, maybe Versus will be both our cups of tea and we can dance merrily through the meadow of the Versus sub-forum together.
    Sadly no, I sold my PS3 and I am now playing FFX via an emulator instead...I am getting an Xbox soon for Lost Odyssey and that is about as far as it goes really. FF as a series is dead to me, same as Resident Evil series, MGS series and Command and Conquer series.

I will await the day they change until then it is alternatives like Blue dragon, Lost Odyssey, Splinter Cell etc.
    and perhaps not.

If Versus gets rave reviews..from the people who criticized FFXIII...will you change your mind.

I was recently offered an X-Box and decided against it. I decided to wait for a chance at a PS3.
    X-Box just doesn't have enough rpgs to warrant choosing it over a PS3 and it doesn't seem likely to me it will have more quality rpgs than the PS3 unless microsoft goes out and buys a company that has a track record of producing them.
    I only play rpgs so that is where my interest lies.

Wasn't Sakaguichi behind Lost Odyssey ?

He's really the father of FF. Unfortunate that he was forced to leave after that movie debacle..the spirits within..
    The spirits within lol.

I don't know if you need a guy with a sword. A big sword.
    Someone like Conan was in the books and movies. Someone like Cloud or Squall.

A woman can do the job.

Although women characters, Paine is an example of that, tend to get panned by those who prefers guys with the big sword.

I think if Snow wasn't in this game people would be even more down on it...because they need that guy as hero. A woman or women alone won't do.
    I find that preference puzzling.

Sadly no, I sold my PS3 and I am now playing FFX via an emulator instead...I am getting an Xbox soon for Lost Odyssey and that is about as far as it goes really. FF as a series is dead to me.
    Then why bother posting about new FF games?
    As far as I am aware this is the title that finally made me move on and realise SquareEnix are making mugs out of the fanbase?

So obviously this would be the one I would finally give my massive criticism of how things have been turning out. If you expect me to slam 14 and versus etc then you are wrong. Whilst I prob will give a verdict I certainly won't be investing time deciding whether to buy it or not. I am done with this series as of FFX-2 to be frank and definately now.

Maybe that will change, that depends on SE.

If Versus gets rave reviews..from the people who criticized FFXIII...will you change your mind.

I wouldn't be given a ps3 now and certainly I wouldn't buy one, not for 1 title. FF13 versus is not going to be good enough I am afraid and I think:

X-2, XII, XII-2, FF7 Spin offs, XIII pretty much confirm that.

There is no way that is suddenly going to come good if nothing is fundamentally changing and if the devlopers are stating themselves that they have moved on to trying to attract new gamers. If the reviews were raving and the bad reviews 1-7 marks were not very good reviews and if I watched on youtube and liked what I saw, sure I might look into it in another 3 years.

But currently there is 0 chance of me suddenly changing my mind about buying a ps3 or thinking Enix is gonna come good all a sudden. Anyway that is hypothetical, I think XIII versus is going to be another let down.
    Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 04-21-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ANGRYWOLF View Post
    Wasn't Sakaguichi behind Lost Odyssey ?

He's really the father of FF. Unfortunate that he was forced to leave after that movie debacle..the spirits within..
    The spirits within lol.
    Nah he wasn't forced out, he resigned voluntarily and from what I understand it was an amicable parting (hence they let him get away with basically ripping off FF with Lost Odyssey).

He was certainly in charge of LO though, with Uematsu as well, so if you're wondering where the story-writing and musical talent went from X-2 onwards... there's your answer (Though the new guy in charge of music has improved a fair bit since XII in my opinion).

Bearing in mind it's different people, thinking about it it's probably best that they're taking FF in their own direction. Otherwise they'd just be a shadow of the guys who left and created Mistwalker and all we'd get is more remakes, -2's and milking of VII etc (not that I'd argue with a VII remake..)

There's little in terms of returning to the "good old days" that S-E can do unless the messiah eventually returns to the company (bit like what happened with Steve Jobs and Apple). The genius has left the building. Best they can do is try to inspire new forms of genius themselves. I thought XIII was a step in the right direction (not perfect, but 'good') and will probably back them for another game or two before giving up. I'm definitely itching for another FF-style Mistwalker game though.
    Last edited by Cloudane; 04-22-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudane View Post
    Nah he wasn't forced out, he resigned voluntarily and from what I understand it was an amicable parting (hence they let him get away with basically ripping off FF with Lost Odyssey).
    He may have resigned, but it was very likely a result of the failure of Spirits Within and was a move to save some face for him rather than outright dismissing the man who created FF.

(Though the new guy in charge of music has improved a fair bit since XII in my opinion).
    Sakimoto did the music for XII, and he hasn't worked for Square since Revenant Wings and Tactics A2. And I don't think I'd call the music in XIII an improvement over anything he's done.

There's little in terms of returning to the "good old days" that S-E can do unless the messiah eventually returns to the company (bit like what happened with Steve Jobs and Apple). The genius has left the building. Best they can do is try to inspire new forms of genius themselves. I thought XIII was a step in the right direction (not perfect, but 'good') and will probably back them for another game or two before giving up. I'm definitely itching for another FF-style Mistwalker game though.
    I find it funny when people talk about returning to the good old days and bring up Sakaguchi. He hasn't actually directed an FF since V, and didn't have too much involvement with any other titles in the series after it except IX. He produced all of them up until then, but they're very much the works of the people who wrote, directed and designed them. Unless you consider the good old days to be pre-PSX era FF titles, Sakaguchi isn't the man behind the games you fondly remember.

Lack of a speed stat. This is the primary cause of the insanity that takes place during combat. Every enemy and party member fills up their gauges at the exact same point. So you go from fifteen seconds of waiting for the bar to fill to five seconds of everything happening at once. No wonder they seem hectic and confused. On the longer fights staggers, cancellations, and interrupts split things a bit, but even so, a lot happens simultaneously. Give each character and enemy a slightly different gauge length. It would make the wait less boring and the action easier to follow.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

I think the real issue with Vanille boils down to this: YouTube - georgia F8 HQ
    My goodness I didn't see this....I mean....wow. Don't know what to say really...that is just pretty awful.

"Make silly sounds, it's a winner"

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Oh, just thought of something that bothered me a lot. There seemed to be neither rhyme nor reason in the activation of the Cie'th stones. I did not at all enjoy having to run around for ages searching for whatever was next activated, often for a lot longer than it took to actually reach a mark once I did have a mission! In fact that's what made me give up on the missions altogether.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Well, having a map helps, admittedly (the guide was fantastic for this), and online sources can help just as easily, I'm sure. But running around searching for things that activate battles? That's pretty much the definition of RPG.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I think the real issue with Vanille boils down to this: YouTube - georgia F8 HQ
    My goodness I didn't see this....I mean....wow. Don't know what to say really...that is just pretty awful.

"Make silly sounds, it's a winner"
    I thought it was kinda hot
    WICKED-AWESOME SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Well, having a map helps, admittedly (the guide was fantastic for this), and online sources can help just as easily, I'm sure. But running around searching for things that activate battles? That's pretty much the definition of RPG.
    I enjoyed running around collecting cards in 8 to name one of many things.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, that's just another example of how that translates through to every RPG. I too loved Triple Triad.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Oh, just thought of something that bothered me a lot. There seemed to be neither rhyme nor reason in the activation of the Cie'th stones. I did not at all enjoy having to run around for ages searching for whatever was next activated, often for a lot longer than it took to actually reach a mark once I did have a mission! In fact that's what made me give up on the missions altogether.
    The stones were one of those things that felt unfinished to me. I was expecting that eventually they'd do more than glow... maybe turn back human and thank you or something. Maybe I'd have felt more inclined to do all the missions if there was some emotional reward of sorts. I'm sure if it wasn't suffering from long development syndrome it might've had something like that.