Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Last Airbender

Blog Entries

I've never really sat down and watched the show because I'm not really a big TV watcher, but I've heard nothing but good things about the series.

I just find it frustrating that the three lead characters who are all not white were cast as white. I can understand possibly maybe one or two being cast as white, but all three? They took opportunities away from people of race to really fit these roles in a tv series with a diverse cast.

Banned

Anyone who says Shyamalan can't write/direct never saw The Sixth Sense or Signs, which were both fantastic films. OPINIONS, etc.

This movie doesn't look as terrible as everyone's saying it is by the trailers, but it does look terrible. I'd go as far as saying it just looks like Dragonball: Evolution with a bigger budget. It's based on anime (or imitation anime, I know it's American made, whatever, still the same poorly animated horrible character design ridden hideous, irritating tripe) so I wouldn't expect it to be worth seeing, and it's probably as good as a film based on an entire season of that crap can be.

I'll take the word of the critics and the enraged fans and just decide to never watch this film.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    It's based on anime (or imitation anime, I know it's American made, whatever, still the same poorly animated horrible character design ridden hideous, irritating tripe) so I wouldn't expect it to be worth seeing, and it's probably as good as a film based on an entire season of that crap can be.
    Writing off an entire medium there, very good.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kossage View Post
    I'll wait and judge the film once I actually get a chance to see it. I enjoyed the series a lot, and the trailers make the film look decent. Whether it turns out awful or not remains to be seen, but at least it has cool visual effects and James Newton Howard's beautiful score which is 100 times better than the series' music (and is surprisingly faithful to the series' musical soundscape, too).

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    When something looks blatantly horrible in a trailer, it's because it is. Movies are not books. For the most part, you can't judge a book by the small summary on the cover, but you can damn sure judge a movie by the trailer.
    I strongly disagree. The trailers for many animated films (e.g. Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon) are absolutely terrible with stupid jokes and pointless meandering, but the films themselves are a lot deeper and more emotional. If I judged every film by its trailer, I would never have seen the majority of great films (animated or otherwise).

He also obviously cannot write as he proved with things like The Village.
    I'll have to disagree. The Village had a lot of good points, and it was an enjoyable movie with decent writing and fine acting. The cinematography in that film was very good, too.
    This.
    ~*Fizzgig*~

Banned

I allowed a friend to drag me to this today against my better judgment, and surprisingly, I was very taken in by the film and...enjoyed it, a lot. o__O

It's really not half as terrible as everyone is making it out to be. It's a silly movie with a silly story, mediocre acting and a cliffhanger-esque ending, but it's nothing that belongs on any "worst of all time" list or anything like that.

I suppose you have to either take every film you see ridiculously seriously, or be a fan of the cartoon to truly hate it (even though, aside of name pronunciations, according to what I've read it's pretty freaking accurate to the show). I thought it was a poorly constructed, but still enjoyable film.

If they do end up producing the planned sequels, I'll be seeing them. xD

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

"For the most part" means of course not all trailers accurately depict the movie, but in this case and in many others cases, they do accurately depict it. Some editors purposely pick out all the parts that are mildly intriguing and place them altogether to make the movie better. And I understand there are a lot of people who liked The Village and a lot who did not. It's a 50/50 movie, but the script is sub par either way. The acting and costumes were decent; I will give it that. There was nothing particularly spectacular about the cinematography though. If enough of his movies bomb, he won't have a career in directing anymore so that's something to look forward to.

Got obliterated Recognized Member Shoeberto's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This movie was . . Absolute . I hadn't watched any of the original series before seeing it and I still thought it was . Bad acting, bad writing, bad directing, bad editing. Everything was bad. If you go into it as a fan of the series, it's worse, because apparently you have to deal with a lot of glaring inaccuracies and omissions. For me, just as a fan of movies, it was painful and I almost walked out. The only thing keeping me in was that I was with a group and didn't want to be rude but they told me afterwards that they all felt the same. It was a terrible, awful movie and I hope Shamalan's career dies because this was just bad bad bad bad bad.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'll give an example of the dialogue as I remember it.

"You're special!"
    "Yeah I am special"
    "You must be the avatar!"
    "Yeah I am the avatar."
    "You are special and the avatar you can start a rebellion!"
    "Yeah I could start a rebellion because I am the avatar and special but I don't like being special and the avatar."

That's pretty much how it went :/

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked it, smurf you guys.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I'll give an example of the dialogue as I remember it.

"You're special!"
    "Yeah I am special"
    "You must be the avatar!"
    "Yeah I am the avatar."
    "You are special and the avatar you can start a rebellion!"
    "Yeah I could start a rebellion because I am the avatar and special but I don't like being special and the avatar."

That's pretty much how it went :/
    Except it didn't because none of what you quoted is in the film.

It's hilarious how much people are exaggerating the level of bad this movie is. Maybe I appreciated it for the simple fact that I saw Eclipse two days beforehand.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah I was making a mockery of it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I hate how we cant just refer to Avatar as Avatar anymore because of James Cameron, especially since Last Airbender came first
    Cameron had been developing Avatar under said name for about ten years before it finally came out, so that's highly debatable. The cartoon may have been released first but I highly doubt it was under development first.

anyway, just dropping by because this excerpt from a review amused me:It probably goes without saying that I have no plans to see this film.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That critic probably just said that because he’s scared of getting KO’d by Uwe Boll.

I only want to see this because of Jackson Rathbone.
    Fact.

I've found that skeletons grow stronger when kept in the rearview.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Bromance View Post
    It's based on anime (or imitation anime, I know it's American made, whatever, still the same poorly animated horrible character design ridden hideous, irritating tripe) so I wouldn't expect it to be worth seeing, and it's probably as good as a film based on an entire season of that crap can be.
    Have you ever even seen the show? It's amazing.
    I was extremely disappointed in the movie. I mean, most of the characters had their names changed! M. Night Shyamalan said he changed the pronunciations to make them "sound Asian" but I think he's forgetting that the show is American. Seriously, changing the names doesn't make the movie seem more authentic, it just makes it insulting in the eyes of a fan.
    I think this was much better than the movie in my opinion.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV