Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Last Airbender

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

A clip of the movie for all those interested. YouTube - Earthbending Scene (watch out terrible movie)

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    I hate how we cant just refer to Avatar as Avatar anymore because of James Cameron, especially since Last Airbender came first and is vastly superior.
    Couldn't we just call Cameron's film "Avatar" and the Air Bending thing "The Avatar"? It would be a lot easier, and it is reffered to as "The Avatar" in the TV Series.

Also, there's a chance Cameron's Avatar came first, sinces he's had it on paper even before titanic was made.

Hmmm...When was FFVI out again?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Since Titantic was made, are you sure? I hear from a lot of people and none of them yet seemed to have the same time for that.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah he's had the idea for years, but he never had the technology to make it the way he wanted, so he just scrapped it.

But now the tech exists so so Avatar got made.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just went and watched this film tonight. I'm disappointed in some of you for treating this film as if it were a total butchery. I was expecting something on par with Double Dragon or Mortal Kombat: Annihilation in terms of a terrible adaption and quite frankly I was pretty surprised it worked out so well.

It was basically the Reader's Digest version of Season 1 (Book 1: Water) but it highlighted the main point of that story and for the most part stayed pretty accurate which is more than I can say for most adaptions. It sacrifices two of the characters growth but seeing as how one basically played nurse maid to the Avatar and the other was mostly comic relief I don't feel their characters being stunted was a disservice.

I feel the only major problem with the film is that it does try to fit 26 episodes into a two hour film and it frankly can't be done well no matter what, but putting that into account its not so bad, though I can see why people not familiar with the source material would be pissed. Beyond that is just weird actor choices and issues with keeping consistent ethnicity. Sokka and Katara being the only two Caucasian Americans in a group that is mostly Northern American Tribes looks really out of place and the Fire Nation going from being heavily based on Chinese culture and ethnicity suddenly becoming predominately Indian was a bit weird but this is Hollywood and their are always bound to be changes. I'm just grateful the story is mostly kept intact.

still waiting for it to come out over here in the UK (unless I missed the release then ignore this part) but also saw a new series of the avatar coming soon! Legend of Kanno or something? set 70 years after the original.
    Making a slow come back since 2008

The Nerd Who Knows Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dear Mr. M.N.S.,

You did a very good job following the storyline. I quite enjoyed the movie. Congratulations and please do continue with the next movies.

But if you don't flesh out the characters more I shall find you and beat the ever-loving hell out of you. How dare you make these characters so bland.

Much appreciated,
    Pants

<PaperStar> live fast, die young, bad plefs do it well

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Just went and watched this film tonight. I'm disappointed in some of you for treating this film as if it were a total butchery. I was expecting something on par with Double Dragon or Mortal Kombat: Annihilation in terms of a terrible adaption and quite frankly I was pretty surprised it worked out so well.

It was basically the Reader's Digest version of Season 1 (Book 1: Water) but it highlighted the main point of that story and for the most part stayed pretty accurate which is more than I can say for most adaptions. It sacrifices two of the characters growth but seeing as how one basically played nurse maid to the Avatar and the other was mostly comic relief I don't feel their characters being stunted was a disservice.

I feel the only major problem with the film is that it does try to fit 26 episodes into a two hour film and it frankly can't be done well no matter what,

Aren't all the books with the exception of 3 just 20 episodes? Four of those usually have nothing to do with the main plot. I still dissaprove of this though. The choreography seemed whack. The movements didn't seem to flow at all with the elements, just look at that Earthbending scene for an example.

'Legend of Korra': The 'Avatar' Creators on the New Spinoff - Speakeasy - WSJ

Look at how the creators themselves avoid talking about the film. I doubt they would do that if they loved it.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 07-24-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It sounds to me more like the creators had no input and thus really did have nothing to say about the film, which is pretty legitimate. I don't feel the article really says "Oh my god! they hated it!" someone else took the project and they are more focused on doing their own thing that listen to another person's problems.

Personally, I feel most of the complaints (well except the casting one) are just usual fanboy/girl nitpicking of minor details that miss the point of the story. I'm not saying The Last Airbender is "movie of the year", or the best adaption of another IP by Hollywood; but I felt the film could have been a lot worst and it stayed true to the story and themes, which is all I can ask for as a fan when Hollywood gets involved. Let's face it, Hollywood is terrible at adaptions so you should already know from the get go its never going to be as good as the original and in fact should just be grateful if it keeps the main point; so the best you can hope for its that its not too badly bastardized by the place. Still, you should already expect it to be smacked around and unfaithful to the source material from the get go.

My point is that they actually did a decent job adapting the story cause the movie still bares actual semblance to the original source material. Its not like the X-Men movies, it could have been a hell lot worst.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

The rather large amount of criticism heaped on the film seems to suggest it's more than just nitpicking (do you really think every fan of the show is that picky?). And people will not necessarily mind changes made to the storyline (Lord of the Rings wasn't slavishly faithful, but handled the changes well mostly and was hugely successful. LA Confidential was forced to distil a mammoth book down to a 140 minute film, and was brilliant), but they will mind if the end result is a bad film. Saying 'most adaptations aren't very good' is a rubbish way of looking at it, that doesn't excuse a poor film.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

[QUOTE=Wolf Kanno;2888777]It sounds to me more like the creators had no input and thus really did have nothing to say about the film, which is pretty legitimate.[quote] so someone wouldn't be excited for someone else who did a magnificent job on their project? I know I would even if I wasn't really involved at all which I would never do, but still... [quote] I don't feel the article really says "Oh my god! they hated it!" someone else took the project and they are more focused on doing their own thing that listen to another person's problems.

This sounds like what I was saying the same thing as me. You're using the word problems which is negative. That could easily be replaced with failures with the same message getting across. It wouldn't have been a problem if it was great.

Personally, I feel most of the complaints (well except the casting one) are just usual fanboy/girl nitpicking of minor details that miss the point of the story. I'm not saying The Last Airbender is "movie of the year", or the best adaption of another IP by Hollywood; but I felt the film could have been a lot worst and it stayed true to the story and themes, which is all I can ask for as a fan when Hollywood gets involved. Let's face it, Hollywood is terrible at adaptions so you should already know from the get go its never going to be as good as the original and in fact should just be grateful if it keeps the main point; so the best you can hope for its that its not too badly bastardized by the place. Still, you should already expect it to be smacked around and unfaithful to the source material from the get go.
    Wow so I should look forward to it being bad and unfaithful, that sounds pretty dern depressing and I don't think anyone should go into a movie with lower expectations.

My point is that they actually did a decent job adapting the story cause the movie still bares actual semblance to the original source material. Its not like the X-Men movies, it could have been a hell lot worst.
    Think you're only talking about X-III and Origins. I don't think it could've been that much worse. It had some pretty bad acting and scenes just seemed to jump at times. They're at one place one moment then another with no explanation as to how they got there.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post

This sounds like what I was saying the same thing as me. You're using the word problems which is negative. That could easily be replaced with failures with the same message getting across. It wouldn't have been a problem if it was great.
    The glass is half empty or full depending on where you stand on the subject. Life is but perception.

Wow so I should look forward to it being bad and unfaithful, that sounds pretty dern depressing and I don't think anyone should go into a movie with lower expectations.
    Yes, you should, cause you will never be disappointed

I only go into films like that when its an adaption, there are obviously just so many factors in moving one medium to another that cause some level of degradation. Name me one movie that was based off a novel, comic book, video game, or TV program that is as good as the original series in every way and stayed completely faithful to the story with no omissions.

Think you're only talking about X-III and Origins. I don't think it could've been that much worse. It had some pretty bad acting and scenes just seemed to jump at times. They're at one place one moment then another with no explanation as to how they got there.
    As a long time X-Men fan collecting since the Jim Lee era I can tell you all the X-Men movies are when you compare them to the real series (well the films are better than the last decade at least). The movies are very unfaithful and take several liberties to the stories and characters, half the cast is aged wrong, no one in the films join as they are suppose to Rogue is no longer associated with Mystique, Sabertooth is an idiot and same with Toad. Nightcrawler is filled with angst and lost all of his humor and somehow gained weird tribal markings on his skin. Mystique is now some martial arts super soldier when the real Mystique was more of user of guns and couldn't ever keep her trap shut whereas she's a mute for most of the films. Senator Kelly gets killed in the first film (he's still alive in the books) and Magneto would never have used some B-Movie plan to turn the world leaders into mutants, he would have just stormed the place and wrecked havoc to prove mutant superiority. Striker is not even a character in the comic books, he was from one of the novels and he was not part of the Weapon X program.

The movies are completely unfaithful to the source material cause it ignores the majority of canon and just sticks with the basics of what made it work. Which is my point about the Avatar film. The first season would have to be made into a trilogy just to do it justice and the first season doesn't have enough material as a whole to make a compelling trilogy of movie so instead they took the highlights and went from there.

Fans are acting like MNS made Aang a space alien who travels into the future to save the world by collecting four elemental comic books and the whole thing ended with one of his not so twisted endings. It was not that bad. Take it from someone who has had to watch his childhood get butchered by Hollywood and the film industry.

Hollywood rarely cares if the film is up to the standards of the fans, they will watch it regardless and bitch about it later (course they could do it perfect and I think fans would still find something to bitch and moan about), the real goal is to make it draw in as many new fans as possible. Its not about artistic integrity, just the bottom line, but the movie industry has always been about business.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Name me one movie that was based off a novel, comic book, video game, or TV program that is as good as the original series in every way and stayed completely faithful to the story with no omissions.
    Well Mr. and Mrs. Smith seemed exactly liked the book, which the book was short, okay, and had no ending. I can say the same exact thing for the film. Well it sounds like you way more knowledged on X-Men than I am. There's also like charlie said it's more than what the fans are complaining about. I good deal of those critics have never seen the show.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Name me one movie that was based off a novel, comic book, video game, or TV program that is as good as the original series in every way and stayed completely faithful to the story with no omissions.
    Kenneth Branagh's version of Hamlet, unabridged and four hours long

This is a daft question anyway, as virtually nothing exists that is a 100% facsimile of the original book etc and it's impossible pretty much to make an adaptation and keep things 100% the same (for time constraints and the changes in medium if nothing else). But it is possible to make a good adaptation and there's no excuse for a bad one. And people are not saying the film is crap just because stuff is different, they're saying it's crap because of fundamental stuff like the story as it is presented not working and the acting being poor.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can understand where the critics are coming from cause most are not aware of the original show (or hears it was on Nickelodeon and cringed since many of their films are a little..."kiddie") and the plot does feel disjointed cause it jumps around the story of the first season and cuts out a lot of the supporting casts so if you are not familiar with the source material; the story is constantly all over the place and the cast is mostly irrelevant beyond the leads. If you have knowledge of the show, the story makes more sense.

I'm not saying this movie is great, I'm just saying it wasn't bad. People are treating it like it was X-Men 3 and that film is utter . I would probably hate The Last Airbender if I was not familiar with the show or if it made several changes to the central plot. It was good for a kids film if nothing else and I sometimes feel people forget the films target audience are 10-14 year olds and not us bitter "old" guys. Not that a kids film can't be just as wonderful for adults but only a few people can pull that off consistently (SPOILER)(PIXAR, Don Bluth, and Jim Henson to name a few).