Thread: Farewell, Memories (Endgame Spoilers)

Default Farewell, Memories (Endgame Spoilers)

During the endgame after Ultimecia, we see Squall trying to get back to his own time from the time compressed world. He tries to focus on his memories of Rinoa, but they appear fuzzy and unfocused, and whole sections of them black out. Is it possible that the corruption of these memories is the memory-blocking effect of the GFs reasserting itself? He can't focus on the memories because the GFs are blocking them out of his mind. Instead, he winds up further back, to a memory that had been lost to them once, but then rescued when he was reminded of it. Perhaps the memories of the orphanage, having faded once, were protected from fading again, or just hadn't faded yet.

I'm sorry if this is an old idea to some of the posters here, but I hadn't thought of it before because the memory-wiping effect of the GF is mentioned so little in the game. But it seems to me that it would fit fairly nicely with what happens.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

I'm not kidding. I was replaying my buddy's old FFVIII save file and got all characters to max levels on Disc 3 just before Lunatic Pandora. Then, I watched videogamesheaven's story walkthrough for God knows how long. Finally, I got on my high horse and went for it. Not lying, after I killed Seifer and it told me to change to disc 4, the disc wouldn't work. FML

But ya, you're post prompted me to answer given my current situation.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Interesting
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Blog Entries

Makes a whole lot more sense to me than your theory's FE (I probably am just too feeble minded to understand them xD).

I've honestly never though too much about the ending. I thought it was all just the mindsmurf of him being near-death. I think your theory can also be supported by using old R=U evidence. The bit where Rinoa's face flashes to become Ultimecia's can be perceived as Squall trying to picture Rinoa only to have Ultimecia pop up instead because the Ulti fight was what happened most recently.
    Last edited by Mo-Nercy; 04-23-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Grammar fail!

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Yeah definitely. I always figured the main cast would grow apart and just forget about each other.
    jkhkjg

Blog Entries

Yeah, actually... I mean they essentially forgot everyone they knew in their childhood. They're only going to keep forgetting people. This sounds disturbing.

Like a serious illness.

They probably could have gone more into this in the game. Like -- what about OTHER people who used GFs? Older people? Did Cid ever use a GF? Only your party ever talks about them. So many questions!

Laguna and co used GF's and their memory seemed fine to me...perhaps they found a safer way of using GF's............like magicite or materia

Commence title-linking thread
    Time...
    It will not wait...
    No matter how hard you hold on, it escapes you...

Currently playing through the main series...
    Playing: FFII
    Completed: FFI

No.They only used the powers of their future body hosts.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    During the endgame after Ultimecia, we see Squall trying to get back to his own time from the time compressed world. He tries to focus on his memories of Rinoa, but they appear fuzzy and unfocused, and whole sections of them black out. Is it possible that the corruption of these memories is the memory-blocking effect of the GFs reasserting itself? He can't focus on the memories because the GFs are blocking them out of his mind. Instead, he winds up further back, to a memory that had been lost to them once, but then rescued when he was reminded of it. Perhaps the memories of the orphanage, having faded once, were protected from fading again, or just hadn't faded yet.

I'm sorry if this is an old idea to some of the posters here, but I hadn't thought of it before because the memory-wiping effect of the GF is mentioned so little in the game. But it seems to me that it would fit fairly nicely with what happens.
    Interesting. I always thought it was some kind of effect that Time Compression had on him, being Squall the only one that we see "trapped" in what I can only assume is like a physical space that only exists within T.C.

I don't really know how to explain it, I mean, I always thought that when Ultimecia cast T.C., her world (namely her time) became the only physical place in existence and when she was defeated, time took it's course again and that place slowly started to disappear (that's why after walking so long Squall suddenly finds no place to go). And with him being exposed to that kind of changing environment for a very prolonged lapse of time, well, I thought maybe he was starting to disappear too, for what is a life if not a bunch of memories?