Thread: R.I.P. Guru

Default R.I.P. Guru

Guru of the group Gang Starr died of cancer yesterday. He left quite a hate filled deathbed letter aimed at his former group mate DJ Premier which is unfortunate but cancer & the drugs can warp your mind like that.

Anyway. RIP, you were great.

YouTube - Gang Starr feat. Big Shug & Freddie Foxxx - The Militia

Cool, now I'm crying.

One of the greatest of all time.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

R.I.P Man

Didn't know he was on such bad terms with DJ Premier. Dunno what the hell happened there.

Despite the name of the band and the songs, they were always the ones who were pretty much apposed to making hip-hop about guns, women and money.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This situation is far more effed up than you could possibly imagine. Many are saying that the letter before he died is fake, and that basically Solar (the producer/manager/partner) he's been with over the last few years essentially controlled his entire life and abused him.

This article has the full story pretty much.

It's a very lengthy interview, but the most "wow" part is this:

There was one night we were at Guru's house. I was about three months pregnant at the time. Guru kept defending himself. Guru actually stood up and kind of got in Solar's face about it. Next thing I know, Solar punched him in the face. From that point in time, he just started kicking him and hitting him. Guru was fighting back, he wasn't just sitting there being a punk, but at the same time, Guru had severe asthma. He didn't have his inhaler. He started really hyper-ventalating and really having a hard time, and Solar kept beating him. It wasn't a fight anymore, it was beating him. I felt that it was so bad that I got in between the two of them and broke it up, because I knew he wouldn't hit me of course. At that point in time, I was pregnant with his child.

Instead of stopping and making sure his partner, friend, "brother" - as he calls him was okay, Guru was sitting there saying, "I'm having an asthma attack. I need to go to the hospital. I think I'm gonna have a heart attack." He's bleeding, really shaking. Instead of stopping and calming himself down, [Solar] told me, "We're leaving," and goes and gets in the car and drives me back to the city. [He] didn't call and check on Guru, didn't make sure he was alright. That's probably one of the first times I was like, "Wow, this relationship is really unhealthy. It's a really sick relationship."

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Ive just read most of that article and I have no idea what to make of it.

Seems like theres so much crap going on that its impossible for someone outside of the circle to really understand it.