Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just give it a TRY damn it!

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yevon can't use Vegnagun cause it is needed for FF X-2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    Besides, Yevon was pretty happy with having Sin around. They wanted to keep their hold over the people; restricting their use of machina and forcing the belief that Sin was divine punishment for using them in the past down the people's throats. Operation Mi'ihen was a big sham to earn them fake cred and make it look like they were trying to rid Spira of Sin, but it's really the last thing they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Besides, Yevon was pretty happy with having Sin around. They wanted to keep their hold over the people; restricting their use of machina and forcing the belief that Sin was divine punishment for using them in the past down the people's throats. Operation Mi'ihen was a big sham to earn them fake cred and make it look like they were trying to rid Spira of Sin, but it's really the last thing they wanted.
    I already said, that wouldn't have been the case for the first hundred or so years.
    For example, if Sin came here I'm pretty sure we'd all would nuke the hell out of it, regardless of the risk that posed to the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    I already said, that wouldn't have been the case for the first hundred or so years.
    For example, if Sin came here I'm pretty sure we'd all would nuke the hell out of it, regardless of the risk that posed to the planet.
    The whole reason for Yevon's existence was to oppress the denizens of Spira. Sin was the key to this, and was effectively created and "kept alive" by Yevonm so yes, it would have been the case for the first hundred years of Sin's and Yevon's existence.

Yu Yevon created the religion because he was a crazy tyrant bastard and wanted to exalt himself. To exalt himself meant that he would have to create a beast that would keep everybody else from attaining any power. He was clever in that he institutionalized a method for a never-ending temporary cyclical killing of the creature ("The Spiral of Death"), this method meant that he would always be worshiped by the majority of Spira, which was what he wanted in the first place.

I'll never understand where people get their ideas on Yu Yevon from.

For one thing, he clearly wasn't a tyrant as every single one of the remaining people in Zanarkand willingly became Fayth for the summoning of Dream Zanarkand.

Sin only exists because from within Sin, he could perpetually keep Zanaraknd alive "if only in a memory" in the form of Dream Zanarkand. it had nothing to do with ruling forever or creating a Spiral of Death.

Finally, it was Yunalesca, not Yu Yevon or the leaders of Bevelle, who did what you said.

"On the eve of Zanarkand's destruction, Lady Yunalesca... had fled to safety with her husband, Zaon. Later, the two used the Final Summoning to defeat Sin. Yet the people of Bevelle still feared Yu Yevon.
    It was to quell his wrath that they revered him, and first spread his teachings.
    And so were born the temples of Yevon.
    I suppose it's possible Yunalesca had planned it that way from the start!
    A fair trade, she defeats Sin in exchange for her lord father's honor."

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I'll never understand where people get their ideas on Yu Yevon from.

For one thing, he clearly wasn't a tyrant as every single one of the remaining people in Zanarkand willingly became Fayth for the summoning of Dream Zanarkand.

Sin only exists because from within Sin, he could perpetually keep Zanaraknd alive "if only in a memory" in the form of Dream Zanarkand. it had nothing to do with ruling forever or creating a Spiral of Death.

Finally, it was Yunalesca, not Yu Yevon or the leaders of Bevelle, who did what you said.

"On the eve of Zanarkand's destruction, Lady Yunalesca... had fled to safety with her husband, Zaon. Later, the two used the Final Summoning to defeat Sin. Yet the people of Bevelle still feared Yu Yevon.
    It was to quell his wrath that they revered him, and first spread his teachings.
    And so were born the temples of Yevon.
    I suppose it's possible Yunalesca had planned it that way from the start!
    A fair trade, she defeats Sin in exchange for her lord father's honor."
    Even all of that given, my point remains the same: Yevon was happy keeping Sin around because it meant that Yevon would remain prominent and unchallenged throughout Spira.

Where does it state that the people of Zanarkand willingly became Fayth? According to the Final Fantasy Wiki (which I know isn't an entirely reputable source, but hey, it's not just me), it says "Yu Yevon had all the surviving citizens turn themselves into Fayth". Whether it is forced or not is never explicitly stated.

If maintaining Dream Zanarkand was the only reason for Sin's existence, then what about Sin's other thing, wiping out any large cities? "Yu Yevon gave this creature a set of very simple instructions: destroy any machina or settlement which grew larger than a small village in order to bring technical evolution to a halt, and retaliate to all hostility with extreme prejudice." - you be the judge of what Yu Yevon's intentions for these instructions were.

And Yunalesca began what is known as the teachings of Yevon because Yu Yevon was the one who is ultimately responsible for them, because he told her, and she passed it on. And since there was no source preceding Yu Yevon, he was the one who created the means of killing Sin...temporarily. So yes, Yunalesca was the main source for spreading the teachings and the religion, she didn't create them, Yu Yevon did. So of course she had part of it planned, she makes it quite clear that she likes the Spiral of Death when she tries to kill the party in Zanarkand.

And Yunalesca began what is known as the teachings of Yevon because Yu Yevon was the one who is ultimately responsible for them, because he told her, and she passed it on. And since there was no source preceding Yu Yevon, he was the one who created the means of killing Sin...temporarily. So yes, Yunalesca was the main source for spreading the teachings and the religion, she didn't create them, Yu Yevon did. So of course she had part of it planned, she makes it quite clear that she likes the Spiral of Death when she tries to kill the party in Zanarkand.
    First off, I agree with everything you said.

Second, this right here is something that I'm finding puzzling as of late. Thinking about it, Yunalesca really does seem convinced that Sin could not be defeated by any means other than the Final Summoning, and is distraught when she is defeated, because the option dies with her. That kind of makes me wonder: did she know that there was another way to defeat Sin? If she knew the ins and outs of the operation, she probably would have, so did Yu Yevon not clue her in? Did he lie to her about the nature of what he would be summoning? Did she know, but after a millennium of telling distruths, eventually bought into her own propaganda?

Also, I always wondered: did Yunalesca actually approach the leaders of Bevelle and explain what was happening/what had happened, and what it took to "stop" Sin? Did they just flock to ten years later when Sin came back? @_@

Where does it state that the people of Zanarkand willingly became Fayth?
    The Bevelle Fayth specifically says they all wanted to save Zanarkand which means they all willingly gave themselves to become Fayth.

"Yes. A war between Zanarkand and Bevelle. Bevelle's machina assured their victory from the start. Spira had never seen such power. The summoners of Zanarkand didn't stand a chance. Zanarkand was doomed to oblivion. That's why we tried to save it -- if only in a memory."

There is no mention of it being all Yu Yevon's doing.

If maintaining Dream Zanarkand was the only reason for Sin's existence, then what about Sin's other thing, wiping out any large cities? "Yu Yevon gave this creature a set of very simple instructions: destroy any machina or settlement which grew larger than a small village in order to bring technical evolution to a halt, and retaliate to all hostility with extreme prejudice." - you be the judge of what Yu Yevon's intentions for these instructions were.
    As far as I can remember reading in a translation of the FF Ultimania, it was to prevent people from discovering the island where Dream Zanarkand was being summoned. DZ is in fact a "real" place which would explain how Sin travels from it to regular Spira no problem. Sin alone can travel pretty much every corner of the globe because limited technology keeps people from freely exploring.

At least this is what I remember reading and it's really stupid which is why i tend to ignore it.