Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dungeons

Default Dungeons

Ignoring the fact that the entire game is essentially a continual dungeon, what was your favorite/least favorite dungeon in the game?

I quite liked the Waterscape, despite the stupid weather gimmick. It was breathtaking to look at, and the song is very catchy and atmospheric. Oprah's cradle was a pretty decent final area too.

Despite being one of the least linear areas in the game (besides the Calm Lands, which would be on here if I could consider it a dungeon) Taejin's Tower annoyed me because of the backtracking, pseudo-"puzzles" and annoying boss at the end.

Also, the Mah'habara Subterra (who the hell named some of these places?) and the Vile Peaks both seem to go on FOREVER.

A lot of people hated the tower, I liked the tower: t'was fun ^_^

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arcanedude34 View Post
    Ignoring the fact that the entire game is essentially a continual dungeon tunnel, what was your favorite/least favorite dungeon in the game?
    fixed.

I don't think I liked any of the areas in the game. Then again the suckyness of the game might have distracted from that. Gran Pulse had some nice looking areas.
    This twenty-year-old boy was distinguished from childhood by strange qualities, a dreamer and an eccentric. A girl fell in love with him, and he went and sold her to a brothel...

Hold on to your hats, I am going to say something nice about XIII. Yes I loved Gran Pulse. Graphically and atmospherically (is that even a word?) it was very nicely done, and seeing monsters roaming the area really made it feel alive.

Now had XIII been a good game and added gameplay into the mix, it would have served a purpose past establishing atmosphere.

Still, I do like Gran Pulse from a purely atmosphere and graphics pov. I wish we could have Calm lands in X to have these graphics, best of both worlds.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Chapter 10, by far. It went on forever, was very repetitive, and the story "development" in it annoyed me. I didn't really care for any of the "dungeons" though; Orphan's Cradle was completely random and also repetitive. You could tell the writers had just given up when you're randomly teleported to fight a completely random boss and then magically teleported back to where you were. It was like a parody of random boss fights.

Compared to those two, Taejin's Tower wasn't too bad.

I have to say the 5th ark.... seemed totally pointless...... and I like XIII

Favourite... ummm I loved all the naturalistic areas of gran pulse, not so much a fan of the tunnels/oerba/the tower.

Quote Originally Posted by WelshWonder View Post
    I have to say the 5th ark.... seemed totally pointless..
    Agreed.

I like the area with the enormous treetrunks (next to Pulse's main steppe) best. They look wild.

Taijin´s tower is one of my favorites along with the Palamecia,PolumPolumm and Great Pulse.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Outside of the wallpaper, virtually none of the areas in this game are interesting from a layout perspective because they are all nearly identical.

But my personal favourite is Gran Pulse, if only because I can go back and forth and explore to my heart's content. Still, GP is disappointing because it's such an anomaly in the rest of the package that I can't help but wish SE integrated it better into the rest of the game world. Also, it's really not all that well developed either. It really only exists for the single sidequest, and even the sidequest itself seems tacked on being just billboards of vague backstory leading to palette-swap enemies who drop mildly useful items or activate more datalog entries. None of it is as compelling as it could be.

Least favourite - probably chapter 10's obstacle course. Completely killed my interest in the game for at least three weeks. Taejin's Tower is also an obnoxious waste of time.

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

The secret area of Mahhabara with all the bird monster things. I just hated fighting them.

My favorite... Well, seeming as you think every area is a dungeon I'll go ahead and say the Yaschis Massif. Beautiful.
    jkhkjg

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I seem to be the only person who liked the Ark and Taejin's Tower. Other than the optional area Yaschas Massif - Paddraean Archaeopolis (which I don't think counts as a dungeon as it is outdoors) they were my favorite zones.

Least favorite would probably be Chapter 6. After a while the theme song started to grate on my nerves, and the decor wasn't my cup of tea.
    Last edited by VeloZer0; 04-24-2010 at 06:53 PM.

I can't really decide but... i liked the lake bresha, vile peaks, gapra whitewood, sunleath terrance, vallis media camp...that's it tbh, all the others were boring...

Edit: And the sulya springs! That was a nice place

Vallis Media is boring and my less favorite.
    I also liked the Ark even though it seems to never end.

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Taejin's Tower was my favorite. I like areas where you do something more than just run to the exit. 5th Ark was my least favorite because it seemed repetitive.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

It was repetitive indeed.(SPOILER)But on the end of this chapter the characters decide to defy their focus and looks for answers on how to heal themselves.This and the Ark explanation makes me love this chapter.
    Too sad the end of chapter 11 make it all pointless.

Regards,
    Big D