Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whether the game can lie or not

I don't understand this thread at all. I can only deduce that the OP has no concept of how writing is supposed to work.

"Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteStorm View Post
    I guess our dear friend FE is getting a little paranoid now, uh? I mean, he sees lies even in games...
    I don't know you, so I can't tell if you are just joking, but for the most part Future Esthar is right on this thread. The game can "lie" to you, the same way a book can "lie" the same way a movie can "lie". The writers have a particular point that needs to be revealed later in the game, and it has to be against what the characters thought they knew, for example this game "lied" by telling us that (SPOILER)Edea was in full control of her actions, and then "admitted" that there was another sorceress controlling her, it also "lied" that (SPOILER)main characters didn't know each other. things are kept secret by writers to allow plot twists to develop.
    A game doesn't lie, it just gives you half truths. It's not the same.
    And yeah, you're right about it keeping info so that plot twists are plausible. What would be the point of playing a game if you already know everything since the beginning? There would be no excitement in it. It's like watching Titanic, everyone knows the damn ship is going to sink.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I guess our dear friend FE is getting a little paranoid now, uh? I mean, he sees lies even in games...
    I don't know you, so I can't tell if you are just joking, but for the most part Future Esthar is right on this thread. The game can "lie" to you, the same way a book can "lie" the same way a movie can "lie". The writers have a particular point that needs to be revealed later in the game, and it has to be against what the characters thought they knew, for example this game "lied" by telling us that (SPOILER)Edea was in full control of her actions, and then "admitted" that there was another sorceress controlling her, it also "lied" that (SPOILER)main characters didn't know each other. things are kept secret by writers to allow plot twists to develop.
    And yeah, you're right about it keeping info so that plot twists are plausible. What would be the point of playing a game if you already know everything since the beginning? There would be no excitement in it. It's like watching Titanic, everyone knows the damn ship is going to sink.
    I placed "lie" in quotes, so I was basically saying what you said. You're right about the rest though.

I placed "lie" in quotes, so I was basically saying what you said. You're right about the rest though.
    Yeah, well, that's how literature in general works.