Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
I interpret all events using this metaphor - you throw a bunch of rocks down a cliff - they bash into each other, and if you had enough information, you can predict in advance what has and will happen with the interactions, right up to the starting position(s) of the rocks. Events that we can measure that relates to 'determinism' occur in the macro universe, while events in the microscopic universe may be determined, but the accuracy becomes less and less so. Since the topic is related to meaningful, macroscopic destinies (ie whether you'll marry), I think it's all determined.
I agree with this.

I do have some trouble wrapping my head around chaos, i.e. sensitive dependence on initial conditions, and how it reconciles with quantum mechanics. If classical mechanics is simply an approximation of quantum mechanics on a large enough scale, classical mechanics is simply a subset of quantum mechanics and therefore should demonstrate sensitive dependence as well. I've just finished a whole course in Chaotic Dynamics and it hasn't really helped me get a grasp on this problem. I'm also taking a class in modern physics and quantum mechanics, but it's not really helping me in this regard either. idk. This is getting way too technical and weird for me, I'm going to go make some mozzarella sticks now.