Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Legally enforced ratings

Useless from a practical standpoint... and as common amongst government agencies, the quality of this rating system will likely be or become abominable. This is common sense-- its not about safety, its about control. Thats the sociology of the state apparatus. Voluntary associations are perfectly capable of satisfying the desire for content "control."
    Last edited by Ryth; 05-04-2010 at 03:14 AM.

Maybe I'm just wrong about my premise that kids should be limited on any content. I played Mortal Kombat II when I was in 4th grade. I guess I feel differently about random violence compared to actual adult scenarios. As I'm playing GTA IV the scenarios elicit a response that I could not have if I weren't mature enough to get what was going on.

Of course, you could use that argument to say that kids under X age shouldn't read 1984 or Fahrenheit 451 because they simply can't fully grasp the concepts and that's BS.

Part of me really thinks maybe we should worry less about what kids are playing or even watching, but what would your gut reaction be hearing that a kid, aged 6, is watching all of the most gruesome modern horror films, playing GTA, and listening to songs that explicit explain "nig*as f**kin' b**ches?" If they were even 15 I just wouldn't care. But when they are under 10... something just rubs me wrong.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Part of me really thinks maybe we should worry less about what kids are playing or even watching, but what would your gut reaction be hearing that a kid, aged 6, is watching all of the most gruesome modern horror films, playing GTA, and listening to songs that explicit explain "nig*as f**kin' b**ches?" If they were even 15 I just wouldn't care. But when they are under 10... something just rubs me wrong.
    I would say that kid's parents should do a better job, but that it's absolutely no business of the government.

Maybe I'm just wrong about my premise that kids should be limited on any content.
    I'm not saying that. I am saying you're wrong that there should be laws limiting it.

I think by this point in the thread I agree with you on that pretty completely. But it does leave me self searching on what I think about the limits that should be imposed on minors and their restriction to content.

You can say their parents are doing a bad job, and they probably are, but at what point do you think it becomes appropriate? Sure, it's different for every kid, but... I dunno. I guess I just feel that 6-10 there are very few kids that are ready for that content, but I know that when I was 10 my mom would've gotten me GTA IV without question. In her case I don't think it was bad parenting. She was aware of content, but thought I was mature enough to tell fantasy from reality and felt that there's no point hiding certain realities (like the fact that people cuss and have sex and sometimes even shoot other people).

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I don't think you can really put a set standard on it. Children are different, situations are different. I can't really criticize a wide range of tactics for dealing with filtering content for really young children, though I would definitely support a much more filter-free environment upon a child reaching adolescence.

I'm not sure you can narrow it to a set standard. Or at least, I don't think you should. Parenting isn't about definitive standards that apply to all children.