Thread: >> Ricard or Gareth?..

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Default >> Ricard or Gareth?..

>>> Which one is the right name?
    I just played the FFO version of this game and there it was called Gareth, but everyone else call it Ricard.. Im kind of confused..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

I've always known him as Ricard, but I could be wrong.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Ten-Year Vet Recognized Member Kawaii Ryűkishi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator

The correct name is Richard. FFOrigins went with "Gareth" because there's a six-character limit on names, which is too few to write Richard in Roman letters. The GBA port just shoved it in there anyway, resulting in "Ricard."

The Gareth thing is comparable to FFIV, where Gilbert's name was completely changed to "Edward." The Ricard thing is more like Chrono Trigger, where the five-character limit rendered the hero's name "Crono." Frioniel becoming "Firion" is kind of a combination of the two approaches.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When I read the title I thought "Who the HELL is Gareth?" I had no idea they changed Richard's name in Origins, since I never really finished it... (I should)

I personally think game designers shoot themselves in the foot with space limitation, I think they should give themselves more letters to avoid being forced to alter names of characters whatever else).

I also think Richard sounds better as it's what I am used to - also it creates a coincidence with one of the other characters, of course that coincidence is already lost in Origins what with that particular character's name being changed to "Leon".

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> So Edward`s real name was Gilbert, I didnt know that too ..
    Thanks for answering this..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii Ryűkishi View Post
    The correct name is Richard. FFOrigins went with "Gareth" because there's a six-character limit on names, which is too few to write Richard in Roman letters. The GBA port just shoved it in there anyway, resulting in "Ricard."

The Gareth thing is comparable to FFIV, where Gilbert's name was completely changed to "Edward." The Ricard thing is more like Chrono Trigger, where the five-character limit rendered the hero's name "Crono." Frioniel becoming "Firion" is kind of a combination of the two approaches.
    In one of the FF4 versions they were able to squeeze in the name "Gilbert" but once you delete the name you suddenly don't have space for more than 6 letters anymore.

Moogle

On a side note, this still doesn't explain FFOrigins randomly changing Guy to Gus or Minwu to Mindu. I still think they were just going for "cooler" sounding names.