Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ESRB Knows What's Missing

Default The ESRB Knows What's Missing

Playing my PSP version of FFVII, I notice the ESRB warning: "Comic Mischief". This was a huge portion of FFVII, and even the rating board notices it. It is part of the reason the game is so loved. So why has it been forgotten? Take the FFVII Compendium. Where's the lighthearted fun, the whimsy, the silliness? Everything is drab, gritty, and ultra-serious. How is that a continuation of FFVII? FFVII had dark moments, sure, but they by no means overwhelmed the game.

And it's not just the Compendium. The games have been getting further away from the whimsical comedy. IX also had a lot (they did do a good job capturing the nostalgic feel with it). X still had a sizeable portion, but considerably less than VII and IX. XII had only tiny lighthearted sections, and XIII only has one that I've seen so far, and it's just a Datalog entry.

What happened to the fun part of the worlds? The part where everything is trying to kill you but you still can't help but laugh at the ridiculous antics of the Moogles? The part where you crack up because you are running in terror from something as cute as a ? Where are the jokes, the mischief, the bit where the characters unwind and you get insight into a happier world? Where is the whimsy?

Square needs to go back, and take a good long look at why FFVII was their most successful game ever. It wasn't because it had ultra-perfect graphics, or because it took itself ultra seriously all the time, because it didn't. Even the ESRB noticed what that game had. Bring back the whimsy, Square.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I kinda agree. I love IX cause it's so fun and light hearted. Now it's all drama llamas. Bring back the lulz!

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I also concur. Needs characters like Cid, who fell asleep during an important meeting. All this new found seriousness is one of the reasons I didn't like Dissidia. That game took itself way to serious. I'm also playing Super Mario RPG, it's not Final Fantasy but still a Square game. It was really fun and doesn't take itself serious at all.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Super Mario RPG was a little to un-serious for my tastes, but I do seriously miss the light hearted moments from the old games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I kinda agree. I love IX cause it's so fun and light hearted. Now it's all drama llamas. Bring back the lulz!
    I strongly agree with this post. IX was a great game, that didn't have that pending doom hanging over its head the entire game, even though it was still about an evil villain seeking to take over the world, or destroy it if he failed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    XIII only has one that I've seen so far, and it's just a Datalog entry.
    SHEEP!

But I agree with you, the newer games all lack that sense of humour about them. I don't know.. maybe FFX-2 drained all the fun and games out of SE.

Blog Entries

Y'know, something always bothered me about X - XIII, and now you've finally pinpointed for me what that is.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

FFX was full of silliness. Those are just the three I could find videos off. There are pleeenty more.

Blog Entries

Actually, yes, X did have some silly parts, and I actually don't mind X at all. XII, on the other hand, does come across as far too serious. Except for that Captain Basch von Rosenburg part And some people found that annoying.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

That, Balthier's witty lines, and Vaan at the Viera place. That was about it. I loved FFXII to death, though xD

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    XIII only has one that I've seen so far, and it's just a Datalog entry.
    SHEEP!

But I agree with you, the newer games all lack that sense of humour about them. I don't know.. maybe FFX-2 drained all the fun and games out of SE.
    What about the Gigantuar scene?

Obviously not as much in it, but there are still dribs and drabs.

AND THE SHEEP RUUULE

And honestly I always found FFVII like really SRS. I wouldn't use that as an example for light-hearted comical FF, but I would say FFVI was.
    jkhkjg

Articles
    Blog Entries

Sazh's lines are mostly epic . But I agree it is not enough.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wow Skyblade you really got it - I remember getting my copy of FFVII and seeing comic mischief on the back, I had already played some of it and laughed thinking about the cross-dressing scene.

Yeah Square's crazy nowadays. I wish they were making Dragon Quest X on the PS3.

Blog Entries

I absolutely love the entire Sector 6, Don Corneo mission. It's so, so amusing.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

What's up with Dissidia having a nudity rating? Who's boobies do we get to see?