Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fang Question [SPOILERS]

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    Fairly sure it's because she forgot her focus. Having said that, you'd think that it would sort itself out when she remembered - although the question still remains as to whether or not she fully remembers her focus or if she only remembers pieces of it, sort of like an unfinished jigsaw puzzle. Alternatively, it's possible that once you forget a focus, the brand is screwed up entirely and not even remembering it later on will repair it. Which is good for her, I guess! Solution #1 for all l'Cie of the future: Forced amnesia!
    Since everyone seems to be talking contrary to what I remember, I feel unsure when I say this but I clearly recall Fang telling Vanille that she had remembered everything. That the whole "I don't remember" thing that both of them were playing was to protect the other. They both actually remembered the events clearly since they were freed from their respective crystals.

The reason why Fang's l'Cie mark goes faded is because she half-completed her original Focus. Without Vanille she never could fully awaken the power of Ragnarok, nonetheless she tried and failed. Apparently this was enough for the fal'Cie so they were turn to crystal. When they finally unfreeze, her brand is burnt because she had tried, with little success but Vanille's was still active (at least they give the impression that it was) because she never became Ragnarok with Fang, thus not fulfilling her end of the Focus. At least that's how I understood it to be.

Blog Entries

Good point, WarZidane, Karifean, and SoL, with the proof that Fang did half-complete her focus, but wouldn't it still be active until she completely destroyed Cocoon? Or did the fal'Cie mess up on the completion of her focus by freezing her brand too early? Or does the brand work on memories, along with emotions?

Definitely not over 9000. No.78's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Fairly sure it's because she forgot her focus. Having said that, you'd think that it would sort itself out when she remembered - although the question still remains as to whether or not she fully remembers her focus or if she only remembers pieces of it, sort of like an unfinished jigsaw puzzle. Alternatively, it's possible that once you forget a focus, the brand is screwed up entirely and not even remembering it later on will repair it. Which is good for her, I guess! Solution #1 for all l'Cie of the future: Forced amnesia!
    Since everyone seems to be talking contrary to what I remember, I feel unsure when I say this but I clearly recall Fang telling Vanille that she had remembered everything. That the whole "I don't remember" thing that both of them were playing was to protect the other. They both actually remembered the events clearly since they were freed from their respective crystals.
    No, Fang genuinely forgot but Vanille was pretending. Fang remembered later on, then Vanille confessed.
    jkhkjg

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by No.78 View Post
    No, Fang genuinely forgot but Vanille was pretending. Fang remembered later on, then Vanille confessed.
    As far as I recall, Fang did not ever remember. When they met Cid in Ch10, Fang realized there was something wrong. In Ch11, she tells Vanille that she remembers (Vanille states - correctly - that Fang is lying) and then Fang notices she truly had been pretending. ... god I need to play that game once again!

That part was so confusing.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

I came to the conclusion that vanille's brand should be messed up too but she got a new one from anima when the parties got theirs. Fang's it how it should be when it's completed. I thought I read somewhere that it was the whole so she can use magic without a focus thing.

Although.... (SPOILER)the others brands dissapear at the end.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WelshWonder View Post
    I came to the conclusion that vanille's brand should be messed up too but she got a new one from anima when the parties got theirs. Fang's it how it should be when it's completed. I thought I read somewhere that it was the whole so she can use magic without a focus thing.

Although.... (SPOILER)the others brands dissapear at the end.....
    Didn't it say on the DataLog that she pretended to be branded? And (SPOILER)when the party turned cie'th at the end of the game, wouldn't Vanille turn cie'th, too? Or maybe her focus was different from Fang's when she got branded with her.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Yeah, it's of my belief that Vanille and Fang got their focus at the same time. That would explain Fang knowing exactly where to look. It's also notable that in the short stories covering the times immediately after Fang and Vanille 'woke up' that she still had her brand and it was not screwed up like Fang's is. So she didn't get it from Anima at the same time as the bulk of the main cast.

On both occasions that Fang/Vanille became crystal, they did so at the same time. With that in mind, I would say they had identical focuses. The brand being messed up can only be explained by the differences in their storylines - the initial difference being that Fang became Rangarok (I don't think Vanille did on the first occasion?) and the second difference being that Fang forgot her focus.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by No.78 View Post
    Yeah, I misunderstood the whole revelation part and somehow mistook it for meaning that Fang was lying the whole time (i.e. Fang had actually did remember from the get go). :s

Basically, I am going with BoB on this one as to why Fang's brand is messed and Vanille's wasn't. At no point did they say that Vanille was "rebranded" by Anima. I think Fang's memory lost was due to either (or possibly both) from her suppressing the memories because they horrified her or that when she "completed" her Focus and the brand faded that it effected the memories associated with her Focus, or at least it's completion.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I seem to recall the characters explicitly stating in game that Vanille was not branded by Anima and was just pretending to be branded with the others.

She wasn't branded at the same time as the others, but anima was still the fal'Cie that branded Fang and Vanille I believe. Hence them being in crystal stasis in the vestige.
    yes, i'm a FFXIII fan.

Makes sence that anima was the original fal cie that branded fang and vanille, I think I read something in the datalog that oerbans worshipped Anima.

EDT: Had another thought after watching the ending again this morning, perhaps the messed up brand means a l'cie who makes their own focus/defies their original one. They get to keep their powers so they can complete their new focus, then focus done, brand disapears. Just an ineloquent thought!
    Last edited by Ezme; 05-06-2010 at 12:40 PM.