Thread: Designing Game Objects/Models?

Default Designing Game Objects/Models?

The impact of 3D has been everlasting in gaming, and more than likely this is the reason why many have gotten into game art and design. Although playing 3D video games today is amazing the process behind it can be tedious and sometimes even frustrating. In this article I’m going to briefly summarize how you could create 3D Game Models using any animation software.

The process of creating a three-dimensional character or object that is later put into a game sounds exciting (as it is), but in reality it is a static creation cycle similar to how an architect would create a building or design a city. Before you start the real video game work you define shapes, objects, and sizes and then proceed to insert your colors and textures. Of course everything comes “alive” once you insert the models into the game, because this is the part where the game starts taking its true form. But to create any model in the first place you will need animation software.

Some Popular 3D Modeling Software Applications:

1.) Maya- Considered to be the application at the helm in industry work today, especially in larger video game studios. Like 3Ds Max it’s professional and also used to make other media forms like movies; the student version or scaled down version is the most affordable.
    2.) 3Ds Max- As mentioned above, 3Ds Max is also popular in the game making world, and you could even say it’s widely known for competing with Maya.
    3.) Blender- Open source and completely free software package with great abilities, a good start for someone with no budget.

A generic overview to creating your Model:

1.) Much like your own body your bones and joints define how you move; this is what makes up the first step in the 3D modeling process, designing a skeleton for the model.
    2.) Design a texture-less skin and colorless one around the bones and joints. It is not meant for appearances, just to see how your model will look in shape.
    3.) Adding in detail is the next step, and this occurs as you color in the skin to get the look you want. Then you complete it by adding in necessary parts like eyes, clothes, etc.
    4.) Telling the model how to behave by directing what bones and joints will move in what directions. In 3D modeling software this process saves you time because after you dictate the beginning and end locations, it usually automatically fills in the middle steps.
    5.) Export the model into a video game design software compatible format. Most 3D modeling software programs have this exporting tool built in, and are able to export to a variety of formats for game development.

In short, creating a 3D game model is not a hard process, but still not a brain dead easy one; it takes dedication and a learning curve to work over. Once this is accomplished you can do this as a hobby or even do it as a profession. Nevertheless, it will take practice, persistence and developing creative talents as an artist.

Gold is the new black Goldenboko's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I've worked with both Blender and Maya, I can tell I'm no graphic designer, it didn't go so well. However, I was never good with 2D art either! xD

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> I love 3D too but it takes way too much time and you also need something like a supercomputer to make complex models. For now I`ll stick to 2D, all you need is a pen and a piece of paper (way more cheap)..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

I took some 3D classes (used Maya), and while I had fun modeling and rigging some things, it really wasn't for me.

The best thing about those classes, though, was the couple of models I got to print out and take home to paint.

(SPOILER)Just a zombie

Recession Batman and Iron Man hobo fighting.