Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XIII: The Strength Thread

Thumbs up XIII: The Strength Thread

So, we've had the Flaw Thread for a while, pointing out all the things that are wrong with this game. So I just figured I'd start one up to highlight the general high points of the latest installment. This is not to debate whether the strengths outweigh the negatives, or anything else like that. It is just to talk about what you liked.

First: The graphics. They are one of the game's biggest foci, and it shows. The game is so pretty it hurts. Characters, enemies, landscapes, cutscenes... The game did not fail to deliver a good graphical front.

Second: The characters. I really like the characters in this game. The main party is great. I even like Hope. Sure, he's whiny, but given the trauma he's been through, it's only to be expected, and it never wound up being overwhelming for me. The supporting cast, what few there are, are also very well done.

Third: The Crystarium. Definitely a step up from the sphere grid. While not perfected yet, it has a lot of potential and had some good mechanics. Combining stat bonuses from the various jobs while keeping abilities seperate was an inspired choice, allowing characters to work through multiple paths without crippling their overall characters. Though defeated somewhat by the limited progression, it has a solid foundation, and I would love to see it worked on more.

So, what did you guys find that this game did particularly well?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    So, we've had the Flaw Thread for a while, pointing out all the things that are wrong with this game. So I just figured I'd start one up to highlight the general high points of the latest installment. This is not to debate whether the strengths outweigh the negatives, or anything else like that. It is just to talk about what you liked.

First: The graphics. They are one of the game's biggest foci, and it shows. The game is so pretty it hurts. Characters, enemies, landscapes, cutscenes... The game did not fail to deliver a good graphical front.

Second: The characters. I really like the characters in this game. The main party is great. I even like Hope. Sure, he's whiny, but given the trauma he's been through, it's only to be expected, and it never wound up being overwhelming for me. The supporting cast, what few there are, are also very well done.

Third: The Crystarium. Definitely a step up from the sphere grid. While not perfected yet, it has a lot of potential and had some good mechanics. Combining stat bonuses from the various jobs while keeping abilities seperate was an inspired choice, allowing characters to work through multiple paths without crippling their overall characters. Though defeated somewhat by the limited progression, it has a solid foundation, and I would love to see it worked on more.

So, what did you guys find that this game did particularly well?
    I Disagree with 2 and 3 but i won't start the thread with negetive comments so i'll just point out the few things i think they did right.

The graphics... obviously. Fantastic graphics.

The TP system. It wasn't that it was that great, just an improvement on FFXII. To use a quickening or summon an esper in FFXII left you severely crippled, so anything is a step up from that.

- The glorious Hamauzu music of course. I like how the tracks have a lot of variety in style and that the characters/villians all have memorable themes.
    - Great story/mythology
    - Pretty likeable/good characters. Even Hope becomes normal after a while.
    - Lighting smacks Snow. Twice.
    - Crystal Tools is amazing.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Rozaheku View Post
    - Crystal Tools is amazing.
    You mean the game engine? Can you be more specific? eg. what about it is amazing? There is so much to a game engine that it's hard to tell what made you decide this (not that I disagree, mind you!).

I liked a buttload of things to do with the game. I love the backstory and I for one enjoy trying to figure out loose ends instead of having everything written out as if it was FF for Dummies or something. I like the characters immensely. The setting of the game is fantastic. I like the various themes which exist throughout the game, particularly the l'Cie/Cie'th "slave" theme which is going on. A very interesting idea. I like the graphics, obviously enough. I like the idea that every battle should be to the death, and that (through most of the storyline) few battles are simply tapping X repeatedly - there is more often than not something more to the battle that you will have to do if you want to stay alive. I like having my health back after each battle. I like the 'ratings' system, although I felt that it could have used a bit more tweaking (eg. Gigantuar). I liked the Titan's Trials thing. I'll think of more later on, I suppose.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The visuals are pretty great.

The cyrstarium is by far the best of that type of level system but I do prefer actual levels with experience.

The characters were pretty cool at first but I didn't feel like they developed much, besides Hope. Light in particular got pretty stale and she was my favorite in the beginning.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

- Absolutely awesome characters, except for Snow. A real pleasure to play the game with these people starring.

- Not the best battle system the series has ever had, but a very strong entry.

- The game is actually fairly challenging, especially some of the bosses, but not in the random way that Demon Wall was, well, a wall out of nowhere.

Blog Entries

Good call.

The graphics are the most obvious! Not just visually but in terms of performance (can't speak for the 360, I have the PS3 version) - very smooth indeed, very little in the way of dropped frames etc.

The music, I also enjoyed quite a bit. Impressive work about on par with our old friend Uematsu.

The characters. All an interesting memorable and likeable bunch with some good character development in places (especially Hope, who I would say is actually my character of the game for that reason. I do enjoy the growling Fang though.)

The whole concept of L'Cie and the inevitable birth of RL tattoos. (Go on, surely someone here has one?)

Battles in general, yes there are things about it in the flaw thread (which I won't get into here) but generally speaking I enjoyed myself beating ridiculous numbers out of things and juggling juggernauts

Puts up a good challenge with some of the bosses and eidolons, which makes it feel more of an accomplishment

All of the story up to Oerba

The journal, when it acted as something to tell me what had just happened if I'd not been concentrating properly. (No comment on when it's used for exposition).

It's almost impossible to get lost.

Jihl.

Creature design is awesome.

The cities were futuristic, but believable and they felt original.

All characters are useful for certain situations. Keeps up the variety!

I liked the flashbacks.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The ending was good, even if it didn't make the most sense.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Blog Entries

The graphics and music are great.

I like the fast-paced battles. And the fact that they're harder too. Actually having a chance of dying against random monsters?! That's neat. It kept me on my toes, so battling never became boring. Stagger -> Launch was fun too. Reminds me of Tekken. =]

This has been the first Final Fantasy with a likeable main character in a while.

Awwww I have nothing original to add! Everything I love has already been mentioned!

I have especially enjoyed theorising about the history of Gran Pulse and Cocoon, it's like real world history, all these little tip bits what intrigue and invite all sorts of interpretations. The orphan and barthandalus thread has been really interesting.

Prequel game please!

1-Graphics
    2-Storyline.Not the best though.
    3-I think this game has the best soundtrack.It is the first time I go to Youtube just to watch music(FFXIII´s).
    4-Battle system is "random" but works.
    5-Like all the charactes
    6-It´s my style of game(Futuristic world with diplomacy and ancient back story).

I will think about more.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

I'll agree with Welsh Wonder, everything that I love about this game has already been mentioned! I very much enjoyed and am still enjoying this game, especially:

-The battle system
    -the music
    -the characters (especially their interactions, sazh's backstory and
    the tensions between Snow and Hope definitely will stick with me)
    -the backstory and mythology (it's awesome analyzing the Analects and
    other datalog entries)

I could go on, and while the game has a few flaws, none of them make me have any displeasure towards this game. I love it and I can't wait for the other FNC games! Think I got about 90 hours on the play clock right now...and I'm not even close to reaching all my goals.

EDIT: and oh yeah...this is the most gorgeous game I've ever played. I know people wil argue that graphics shouldn't make a game, but when I literally stop running through the map and just sit to enjoy the surroundings, that's something that's going to stick with me for a long time.
    Last edited by finaloblivion; 05-09-2010 at 01:37 AM.
    yes, i'm a FFXIII fan.

7-The anaclets.
    8-Did anyone notice how FFXIII go "Point and Click" on Hope´s house and Oerba?
    I loved this and this should be anywhere on the game.It was a pity this wasn´t implemented on FF8.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Future Esthar View Post
    7-The anaclets.
    8-Did anyone notice how FFXIII go "Point and Click" on Hope´s house and Oerba?
    I loved this and this should be anywhere on the game.It was a pity this wasn´t implemented on FF8.
    I liked the point and click. Reminds me of the good old days when you had to go talk to people to get info. I didn't once feel like i should stop and stand next to people to hear what they were saying.

The return of the tonberry was welcome.

Army of one and highwind are awesome.

I still massively dislike this game though =)