Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Moon's rotational speed

Default The Moon's rotational speed

It looks like the Moon from VIII rotates faster than our Moon.
    It takes 28 days for our Moon to complete its rotation, right? Don't we all complete the game in less than 28 days, right? Yet everytime when we look at the Moon in VIII, it always look different.

Of course, the laws between VIII and our reality are different, but still ... I wonder if this has something to do with Lunar Cry ... or perhaps Time Compression.

Blog Entries

I'm more concerned with why IT'S SO FREAKIN' HUGE.

Blog Entries

Our moon doesnt rotate at all.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Actually it does. If it didn't rotate, we'd get to see the "other side" once a month, but we don't
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    Don't we all complete the game in less than 28 days, right?
    No.

We don't know how long it takes the FFVIII story to finish because like many games/films it uses a media timeline - FFVIII could take place over months for all we know - it just seams shorter to us because we're playing it. It's like a film where life changing events seam to happen in days, but really it's much longer.
    Last edited by MJN SEIFER; 05-07-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Because, I made a MISTAKE! OK?!

How is that relevant to the purpose of this thread?

In other words,

From the Dollet scene (the Moon on the water) -> The Timber Train scene (the Moon in the background). Now, do they look exactly the same?

That whole timetline sounds like a lot less than 28 days to me - a few days at most.

Well it is possible that their world may have two moons. Amd the second picture isn't relevant at all because (SPOILER)it is Ultimecia's castle during the time compression, so there is no problem with that example.

But you do raise a good question Serapy, but you are missing the obvious answer: Full moons look cool. The makers most likely used a full moon in most of their cutscenes simply because it looks cool. The players, generally, aren't going to question the whole moon thing (I know I didn't)
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Rotate Picture 3 180 degrees (so the bottom is on top and the top is on the bottom). Notice anything? That's right, it's the same moon as Picture 1.

Now look at Picture 4. Specifically, the bits in the bottom left corner. Compare that to the part of Picture 3 around the second boat from the bottom. Notice anything? That's right, it's the same features!
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Actually it does. If it didn't rotate, we'd get to see the "other side" once a month, but we don't
    What I meant was the same side is always facing the earth so it doesnt rotate with respect to earth ie the side that looks like a rabit. Well thats what i thought.
    Have a nice day!!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

You measure rotation arounds the body's own axis, not other objects.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

In other words,

From the Dollet scene (the Moon on the water) -> The Timber Train scene (the Moon in the background). Now, do they look exactly the same?

That whole timetline sounds like a lot less than 28 days to me - a few days at most.
    I appologise, I didn't mean to be off topic - it's just I felt it nessercary to point out that we don't know the time line of FFVIII, it is an important subject for me. Sorry.

You are all missing the important point. THEY DO LOOK ALIKE. Check my first post in the thread.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    You are all missing the important point. THEY DO LOOK ALIKE. Check my first post in the thread.
    I re-read it, and I am reclined to agree - they do look like the same moon.

To Serapy: The angle of each picture is probably confusing you.

Blog Entries

In other words,

To my memory only one night passed between the Dollet Scene and the Timber train. (they graduated, had the ball and left the next day for the timber mission). It's not unfeasable that the moon stays full for more than one day.
    Have a nice day!!