Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Moon's rotational speed

Here we go. Compare the sections outlined in black. They are reference points. From there, it is easy to draw comparisons among all the pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Our moon doesn't even bare the appearance of a rotation. This is because the moon rotates in the opposite direction of its orbit. Think of a beachball rolling along the sand. If you continue to imagine it going in that same direction while rolling the other way, what results is the phenomenon of our moon's rotation. In this way, it doesn't matter where the moon ends up around our planet, we always see the same side. The only difference we see in the moon is the shading from the Earth upon its surface blocking out the light of the sun resulting in what we like to call a "crescent."

It is indeed possible that the moon in VIII rotates faster than our moon. It is perhaps more logical to assume, however, that it rotates in the same direction of its orbit (or the opposite direction of our moon's rotation). Maybe not. I wonder if that would cause its orbit to decay?

Quote Originally Posted by Serapy View Post
    How is that relevant to the purpose of this thread?

In other words,

From the Dollet scene (the Moon on the water) -> The Timber Train scene (the Moon in the background). Now, do they look exactly the same?

That whole timetline sounds like a lot less than 28 days to me - a few days at most.
    Yup.

Disc 1 takes place over the course of two days.

Day 1: Go to Fire Cavern, head back, go to Dollet, go to party, go to training centre, go to new dorm, sleep.

Day 2: Go to Timber (take a short nap along the way), do the train thing, head to the TV station, head to Galbadia Garden by train (again with a short nap along the way), get your assassination orders, attempt to kill the sorceress. Black out.

At no point does it indicate that more than a single day passes during "day 2" and staying at an inn doesn't actually pass time in RPGs.

Disc 2

Day 3: After a Laguna dream, which could well happen overnight, escape from prison, missile base, make the Garden levitate.

Day 4? Rinoa comes in and asks for a tour.

Day 5? Rinoa asks for a walk. If you didn't bring Rinoa, Quistis asks if you want to go and get a cup of tea and have a talk.

After this it gets a bit ambiguous, but given that Mayor Dobe doesn't yet know of Deling's death, it could very easily be a very short time after day 2 that you arrive at Horizon. From here on, due to the fact that Garden is mobile and travel by sea would take days, there's no way of knowing how many days pass, but it could very easily be less than 28 given how much these guys can do in a single day!
    Last edited by ReloadPsi; 05-11-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Here we go. Compare the sections outlined in black. They are reference points. From there, it is easy to draw comparisons among all the pictures.
    I don't acknowledge your point. A moment, please ...

Right, you've said that the Moon from the pictures have the same features, but how does that dispute the point of this thread - the Moon's rotational speed?

But anyway, the Moon from these pictures are not the same to each other. Each picture shows the area where you have squared in different areas, and more or less craters have appeared.

Sorry if I'm causing a confusion. My definition of 'same' is when two things have the exact-matched characteristics. All of the characteristics between two things have to be considered in this case.

As for the last image, the area was a completed build of Griever. When the game starts, the image of Griever on the Moon starts to build itself.
    And when the game is completed, the building image of Griever is also completed. Hello, Griever ... Squall is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER
    I re-read it, and I am reclined to agree - they do look like the same moon.

To Serapy: The angle of each picture is probably confusing you.
    No, they don't look the same.

But what's worth quoting your post is the way how you have expressed your thought. What's changed your mentality? I thought you were supposed to be "open minded" or at least that's what I thought.

Well, excuse me -- I've always forgotten to remind myself that people do indeed change all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    I'm more concerned with why IT'S SO FREAKIN' HUGE.
    The Moon next to Ultimecia's Castle is very big. This proves that the Ultimecia Castle doesn't take place on ground (Earth's)... But the Moon from the 'ending' part looks also big. Perhaps, the Balamb Garden has gained a new ability of flying in air space?

The entire basis of this thread is that the moon looks different in each picture. It does not. The moon have the same features in all the shots (including Ulti's castle, although the image they used of the moon appears to have been vertically flipped for some reason). The first image has it rotated 180 degress from the other two, but the features are still identical, and in an identical place on the moon, once the rotation is taken into account (just as the features match up with the moon in Ulti's castle if you take the vertical flip into account). There are minor, subtle differences, likely caused by the clouds and ambient light. Or, because the surface of the moon is covered by monsters which don't stay in one place at all times. The primary visible features are identical in all shots (the ones I showed were just the clearest point-for-point references, but you can expand from there to match up each major feature), which means the rotation of the moon is just enough to keep the same side facing the planet, similar to our moon. That is why this important to the thread topic.

And, no, there is no image of Griever on the moon.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

This thread is mainly about the rotational speed.
    Yes, it does look different. For example, if the Moon from one of the pictures has more or less craters than another, then it's different (not the same).

And yes, the image of Griever does exist on the Moon.

This thread is mainly about the rotational speed.
    Yes, it does look different. For example, if the Moon from one of the pictures has more or less craters than another, then it's different (not the same).

And yes, the image of Griever does exist on the Moon.

You know what? That's pretty cool!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

It's also possible that the angle of the axis of rotation is high so the moon appears to rotate on it's side like that of the planet Uranus

these pictures of the Moon are not identical to each other. Each picture shows the area where you have squared in different areas, and more or less craters have appeared. As for the last image, the area was a completed build of Griever. When the game starts, the image of Griever on the Moon starts to build itself.

The Moon next to Ultimecia's Castle is very big. This proves that the Ultimecia Castle doesn't take place on ground (Earth's)... But the Moon from the 'ending' part looks also big. Perhaps, the Balamb Garden has gained a new ability of flying in air space?
    Two of Skyblade's pics are incomplete, but even if they weren't and you were correct, there isn't any less-than-debatable evidence that the Moon is rotating (anymore than an hour, anyway) faster than our moon. There is also no indisputable evidence that I can see that Griever only forms near the end. The two pics before Griever "is visible" are too distant and fuzzy to tell conclusively that the image of Griever isn't already there. Unless you can provide evidence (much like an interview with Final Fantasy VIII team member), I'm disinclined to believe this image is only visible near the end of the game.

BTW, that's an interesting concept to believe that they've developed the technology to allow the entire Garden to travel skyward enough that the moon would look bigger. That's a Garden ability that previously only the Guardian Force Eden had.
    The appearance of craters (more or less) is not evidence of change/difference in the moon's rotational speed.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

So, did the moon rotate?

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But what's worth quoting your post is the way how you have expressed your thought. What's changed your mentality? I thought you were supposed to be "open minded" or at least that's what I thought.

Well, excuse me -- I've always forgotten to remind myself that people do indeed change all the time.
    I'm still Open Minded - or at least I try to be. I just thought that they looked the same, but I'll study them again - maybe it's me who's confused.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercen-X View Post
    these pictures of the Moon are not identical to each other. Each picture shows the area where you have squared in different areas, and more or less craters have appeared. As for the last image, the area was a completed build of Griever. When the game starts, the image of Griever on the Moon starts to build itself.

Two of Skyblade's pics are incomplete, but even if they weren't and you were correct, there isn't any less-than-debatable evidence that the Moon is rotating (anymore than an hour, anyway) faster than our moon. There is also no indisputable evidence that I can see that Griever only forms near the end. The two pics before Griever "is visible" are too distant and fuzzy to tell conclusively that the image of Griever isn't already there. Unless you can provide evidence (much like an interview with Final Fantasy VIII team member), I'm disinclined to believe this image is only visible near the end of the game.

BTW, that's an interesting concept to believe that they've developed the technology to allow the entire Garden to travel skyward enough that the moon would look bigger. That's a Garden ability that previously only the Guardian Force Eden had.
    The appearance of craters (more or less) is not evidence of change/difference in the moon's rotational speed.
    The apparent size change of the moon could just be because it had a more elliptical orbit than our own moon.

-edit-
    Actually, I thought of another thing that could make the moon look larger, like in that last screenshot with the garden. It's possible that it's because of the way the scene was shot. If the garden was far away from the camera, it'd look smaller, while the moon would be the same size. Then, if you used an "unusual" zooming technique, the moon would appear much larger than it actually was. I'm not sure exactly what it's called (focal length, maybe? idk), but I've seen it in other photos or videos.
    Last edited by Mirage; 06-19-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I wonder if the developers of Final Fantasy VIII paid this much attention to the layout and landscape of the moon. Any anomalies noticed could be the result of a misguided or misinformed graphic designer. I noticed earlier that someone mentioned that the moon appeared to be vertically flipped at some point, so misdirection from the developers of the game could certainly be the case.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Can´t believe FFVIII forum is dead like this.
    I started playing it on the PSN yesterday and hope to find another curiosities and revive it.
    Flo:Honey,the clock is late.Go out fix it.
    Mayor Dobe:What hours is it?
    Flo: 15:30
    Mayor Dobe:Hey do you wanna to send the Estharians to Centra or what?
    Flo:Ok,let it be on 3:45

Images removed for being utterly colossal. Please use images that conform to the size limit.

Regards,
    Big D

Quote Originally Posted by Future Esthar View Post
    Can´t believe FFVIII forum is dead like this.
    I started playing it on the PSN yesterday and hope to find another curiosities and revive it.
    The forum is not dead, my friend. We are in a Time-Compressed world where time is quite unstable, or rather slow. So unstable that it's impossible for people to make new threads in this forum consistently. Have some patience, my beautiful friends.