Thread: Did you like FINAL FANTASY XII?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

That's a loaded question though. If you only played FFVI and FFVII then one of those would have to be your 'least favorite' even though they are widely considered the favorites by many.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seiferalmasy2 View Post
    Those are big magazine scores and not user scores,

Cop this >

Final Fantasy XII (ps2) reviews at Metacritic.com

7.7. (lowest)
    Seifer you've once again shot yourself in the foot.

These publications are almost unanimous in indicating that scores below 50 indicate a negative review, while it usually takes a score in the upper 70s or higher to indicate that the game is unequivocally good
    This is from Metacritic.com, the site you refferred me to in your previous post.

I'll repeat it for you in nice big bold letters

THE GAME IS UNEQUIVOCALLY GOOD
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

That is big magazine's score and not a user score. There is a big difference between what a magazine say something is and what the general concensus is.

Look at the user votes that are an average of thousands of people and you see they differ completely with the 9 and 10 out of 10's.

I am sorry but that is the bare reality. And I really must not reply to you again because I am ready for the chop

LOL

That is big magazine's score and not a user score. There is a big difference between what a magazine say something is and what the general concensus is.

Look at the user votes that are an average of thousands of people and you see they differ completely with the 9 and 10 out of 10's.

I am sorry but that is the bare reality. And I really must not reply to you again because I am ready for the chop

LOL
    No, that statement refers to both critic reviews AND user reviews. The critic reviews give an overall score of 92/100. The user reviews has an overall score of 7.7/10 (77/100). Anthing in the high 70's is unequivocally good which ends the debate on your opinions being fact.

With that out of the way, i'm happy to discuss your opinions with you
    Ivalice is not simply a place in a game. It is a real world, it lives and breathes

A 7 is not a good user score for a final fantasy game. You are trying to get around this and it won't convince anyone. It is one of the lowest scoring FF's (actually I think THE lowest) by user scores.

Even a 1 point drop in a user score is very significant. Even here on this forum XII has got a hostile reception. You cannot claim that 7.7 is status quo for a modern final fantasy game because it isn't.

The only reason games like XII make it to 7.7 is because they are Final Fantasy and have great graphics. Take that away and XII would be scored even less. Breath of Fire III this game ain't.
    Last edited by seiferalmasy2; 05-31-2010 at 06:06 PM.

A 7 is not a good user score for a final fantasy game. You are trying to get around this and it won't convince anyone. It is one of the lowest scoring FF's (actually I think THE lowest) by user scores.

Even a 1 point drop in a user score is very significant. Even here on this forum XII has got a hostile reception. You cannot claim that 7.7 is status quo for a modern final fantasy game because it isn't.

The only reason games like XII make it to 7.7 is because they are Final Fantasy and have great graphics. Take that away and XII would be scored even less. Breath of Fire III this game ain't.
    This is what i am debating with you

The whole game was a disaster
    This is your opinion, and obviously other peoples too. But if FFXII was such a disaster how did it sell more units than IX? 9.2/100 is a great score from the critics, 7.7/10 is also a decent score. By your logic, any game that sells less than 5.5million, or scores less than an 8/10 is a disaster.

I think what seifer is trying to say is that, compared to the ratings of other Final Fantasy games, it isn't as good. For FF games I feel we hold them to a higher standard. Yes, FFXII is a lot better than most games on the market, but compared to other FF games isn't that wonderful.

Anyway, i think we've got to the point where both sides are so entrenched in their opinions that no-one's going to agree with the other, making all further arguments pointless.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    I think you should do a census on the bottom three choices and have people vote over what they disliked the most.
    It's taking him long enough to do the first census. Let's not even talk about a second yet.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to make a team for the second census so this will be alot easier.

I sorta ran into a bit of a snag which is why the census is taking so long. Counting up the points gets a bit tedious by yourself.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If you're in need of some help for this or the next census then feel free to give me a shout. I generally have an abundance of free time most days.

I'm playing through the game again right now but I gotta admit, the party is quite dull.

In fact, the only reason I got through the game was because of the Imperial side. Gabranth, Larsa, Cid... They made it all worthwhile.

Hell, every scene with a Judge is bound to be one of the best scenes in the game. Compare that with most of the forgettable scenes that center on just the party.

Not that I don't like the heroes. I liked Balthier fine. Fran was usless though.

But my point is, this game relies a lot more on the antagonists than the protagonists to keep me interested.

I loved FFXII... the world, the graphics (both beautiful art wise and technically), the music, the gameplay, the atmosphere, the characters, etc. I love the whole Ivalice universe and the people behind it, (Matsuno, Sakimoto, Yoshida, etc.) and FFXII has so much of this world to offer, there is so much content in the game!
    Those are big magazine scores and not user scores,

Cop this >

Final Fantasy XII (ps2) reviews at Metacritic.com

7.7. (lowest)
    FFXII also has a 9.1 user score on gamespot.com, based on 21,300 votes. Final Fantasy XII for PS2 - GAMESPOT.com

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by ssoass View Post
    FFXII also has a 9.1 user score on gamespot.com, based on 21,300 votes. Final Fantasy XII for PS2 - GAMESPOT.com
    Damn, I was just going to post that lol.

I agree with you that the game was awesome, and like WK said it is in my top 3 favorite FF games:

Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy X
    Final Fantasy XII

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Probably one of my favourite instalments in the series, if only for the battle system that continuously calls me back.

Wow, quite a heated and interesting discussion here!!

My viewpoints were already expressed by the people who like XII, but I'll just add two random things. The character development in this game is so subtle and realistic. I love the characters. Lately Ashe has grown on me a lot. She's very determined and strong but also she is a young woman who has misgivings and doesn't seem sure of herself all the time. I really like her! Plus her voice acting is top notch. Another thing, I like that the story is very nebulous and can be interpreted in your own way. I like that it touches on free will versus destiny, and that there is no real bad guy. I'll admit I'm a bit hazy on the ending, I haven't beaten it in over a year, but isn't the fact that the party and Vayne actually want the same thing, man to be in control of his own destiny?? It's just that Vayne is a dick about it?
    なんだかずっと夢を見ていたようだ