Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who else thinks Seymour is underrated as a villian??

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> People hate him because unlike the other FF villains, Seymour was a weakling..

I dislike him too for the same reason..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mashowasho View Post
    I was really disppointed to see Ject in Dissidia instead of Seymour. Jecht was never a real villain! But it goes to show that maybe, Seymour didn't make enough of an impact on the fans.
    One could argue that that (SPOILER)because Jecht became Sin and was blowing crap up that he was the main villain. Not to mention Tidus pretty much cried about how Jecht didn't hug him enough as a kid and wanted to beat him up throughout the entire frickin' game.
    I personally thought Jecht deserved the role more, partially because I thought he was awesome and also because Seymour just... eh we already have Yuna as a summoner do we really need two from the same game?
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    >>> People hate him because unlike the other FF villains, Seymour was a weakling..

I dislike him too for the same reason..
    Do you mean that he was weak in the gameplay or in the storyline? I think he was portrayed as a particularly adept Summoner and spell caster, but he had a lack of support during battle, and it is rather underwhelming to fight off Seymour when it is literally 7 seasoned warriors against 1 person.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Seymour was a pretty good vilian imo, but more of a sinister and mindful villian rather than a over powered destroy everything type of villian (Sin). But yeah i never got why people dislike him so much as a villian.

seymour was an alright villian not really to sure on kuja but it sephiroth has to be the ultimate baddie

Quote Originally Posted by dambaz View Post
    seymour was an alright villian not really to sure on kuja but it sephiroth has to be the ultimate baddie
    I actually think that Seymour is a better villain than Sephiroth because I never really understand his reasoning or drive as a villain in away that I could relate to. Seymour on the other hand is doing it for reasons that I could actually identify with.

But maybe that's just me. It probably is.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by kriminal99 View Post
    His name is Seymour... What is he going to do? Miscalculate your taxes and make the IRS audit you? On second thought that is kind of scary...
    Or sing a musical duet entitled Suddenly Seymour.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbits on the Run View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dambaz View Post
    I actually think that Seymour is a better villain than Sephiroth because I never really understand his reasoning or drive as a villain in away that I could relate to. Seymour on the other hand is doing it for reasons that I could actually identify with.

But maybe that's just me. It probably is.
    It definitely isn't, as much as I dislike the funkeh design they gave him he was a great villain. When he just Did that thingKilled off all the ronso and became a stupidly annoying/challenging boss I realized how good of a villain he was.
    Sephiroth on the other hand... well he has a cool sword
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kriminal99 View Post
    His name is Seymour... What is he going to do? Miscalculate your taxes and make the IRS audit you? On second thought that is kind of scary...
    Or sing a musical duet entitled Suddenly Seymour.
    Or star in Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Or have the last name Butz.

I agree with Rabbit on the Run. Seymour's motives were pretty good in comparison to Sephiroth. It made him seem twisted and deranged especially when he(SPOILER)killed his old man and obliterated the Ronsos on Mt. Gagazet.

IMO, he's (almost) up there with Kefka with his craziness. The only difference is that people don't think he's crazy is because he has purpose and reason for his actions, whilst Kefka just did what he did without a solid reason. Still Kefka is the best villan though.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

As a villain, Seymour Guado intrigues me. He doesn't fit the mold of the typical RPG villain. His appearence is bizarre to be sure(from the stiff, hair antennae on his head, to wispy nature of his voice, to the odd "potbelly illusion" outfit), and while he has some of the sophistication of Kuja, he possesses something different and unique. He was off...in a Sweeney Tood sort of way(the harmonies in the musical sometimes sound off, but in actuality musically they aren't and they lend to the "off humor" of the story). For example, the way that Seymour's soft and almost delicate speech juxtaposes the rigidity of his character design.

Furthermore, his motives as a villain are understandable and he has been made relatable but not overly sympathetic(like villains who have over the top tragic pasts, like Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal Rising, which in turn actually downplays the realism of their situation).

Unlike the OP, I did not get pissed off when (SPOILER) Seymour killed his father. The man sent his wife and child into exile because he couldn't live up to the responsibility of what he did(which was to commit a Guado taboo and marry and mate with a human). This in turn caused his wife to sacrifice herself so her son could live, and be forever at his side as a tortured representation of her spirit(Anima). Can you imagine the years of solitude Seymour endured, living with the knowledge that his father was ashamed of his existence and that his mother and died because of it? You can easily see why Seymour was motivated to do what he did and, while you don't necessarily condone it, you understand it. I think the game's writers missed a big chance with this character--they could have given him a redemption story towards the end of the game where he realized that Yuna's method would truly relieve the suffering in Spira, OR he could have been written into the final battle as becoming apart of Sin, as opposed to just--I don't know, what was he doing? Controlling Sin from it's stomach?

So I do agree: Seymour Guado is an underrated villain and character. And he is underrated chiefly because people don't know what to make of him. To me, this makes him intriguing.

Now that I think about it, he and Kuja do have a lot in common. They both have weird motives in their respective stories. They are both ultimately not the final villain, they both wear funny clothes and they are both sexually ambiguous. For sure, Seymour married Yuna, but how many gay man marry just to pretend? Same with Kuja, he courts Garnet through most of the game, they never marry, and he could have alterior motives, such as Eidolons for example. I personally enjoyed Kuja as a villain more, I felt he was much more cruel and evil than Seymour was and had a nicer appeal to him, maybe because he fancied theatre, like I do. Seymour was just devious and mentally unhealthy "let's kill everyone and destroy the world, because everybody is suffering, so we'll end their suffering"...
    "Eternities aren't as long as they used to be".

Quote Originally Posted by LunaRaven View Post
    As a villain, Seymour Guado intrigues me. He doesn't fit the mold of the typical RPG villain. His appearence is bizarre to be sure(from the stiff, hair antennae on his head, to wispy nature of his voice, to the odd "potbelly illusion" outfit), and while he has some of the sophistication of Kuja, he possesses something different and unique. He was off...in a Sweeney Tood sort of way(the harmonies in the musical sometimes sound off, but in actuality musically they aren't and they lend to the "off humor" of the story). For example, the way that Seymour's soft and almost delicate speech juxtaposes the rigidity of his character design.

Furthermore, his motives as a villain are understandable and he has been made relatable but not overly sympathetic(like villains who have over the top tragic pasts, like Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal Rising, which in turn actually downplays the realism of their situation).

So I do agree: Seymour Guado is an underrated villain and character. And he is underrated chiefly because people don't know what to make of him. To me, this makes him intriguing.
    To a point, I get what you're saying. But there's only so much you can understand and forgive about him. I mean, sure he killed his father because of all you said, fair enough, I probably would too, but what he did after was what made him the true villain. Kill a bunch of Ronso, endanger Luca with the fiends, kill Kinoc and force Yuna to marry him.. All these things, plus his ultimate plan of becoming Sin so that he could "stop Spira's suffering" are what made him detestable and unforgivable. True, like any villain should be, but you can't really say he had a motive for all of it, the same way he had a motive to kill his father, these were just pure evil I thought..
    "Eternities aren't as long as they used to be".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Kuja called Garnet beautiful, but I don't remember him every courting her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.