Thread: "Moonlight Sonata" appearing in games.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default "Moonlight Sonata" appearing in games.

I don't many favorite classical music pieces I'll admit, but one of always loved since I first heard it is one called "Moonlight Sonata". I notice it tends to be used in video games - I have three examples.

1. It plays in a level of "Earthworm Jim 2" as background music.
    2. You need to play it on a piano for someting to happen (I forget what) in "Resident Evil".
    3. A ghost hamster plays it (and later teaches you how to) during "Ham-Ham Heartbreak" (it is however mistranslated slightly as "Moonlight").

Are there anymore examples?

Also why do they use this song so much - do they just like it like me, or is there another reason?

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's one of my favorites too I remember I first heard it in a very dark and creepy cartoon when I was younger, so when I heard it again in Resident Evil some years later I was quite happy to hear it again.

Resident Evil 5 - Desperate Escape also has Jill playing it on the piano to open up a hidden room.

There's also a hidden object game called Moonlight Sonata. It's quite fun.

I enjoyed Rebecca failing to play Moonlight Sonata the first time she tried. Jill playing it in the Resident Evil 5 DCL was fanservice to my shivering happy spine. I approve! I have the Resident Evil version on my YouTube favorites in my ongoing attempt to be a loser.

Blog Entries

A remix of it is available as a track in Pump It Up: Zero (it's like Korean DDR).

Pump It Up - Moonlight

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    2. You need to play it on a piano for someting to happen (I forget what) in "Resident Evil".
    This must be a very simplified version because some parts of it are a bitch to play.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Aerith's Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    This must be a very simplified version because some parts of it are a bitch to play.
    Not the player, the character

I love the Moonlight Sonata. It's one of my better childhood memories.

Moomba

I swear the first time I ever heard "Moonlight Sonata" was in Earthworm Jim 2 and I fell in love with it <3

although... now whenever I hear it.. I think of a salamander floating through some intestines... =D
    JET SET RADIOOOOOOO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-Nercy View Post
    A remix of it is available as a track in Pump It Up: Zero (it's like Korean DDR).

Pump It Up - Moonlight
    I wish there were still pump machines in my area
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Japanese people totally are into German/European/Classical/Romantical culture and art, including Beethoven's music which again implies the Moonlight Sonata.
    When it's played in either a movie, game or anime (for example it's played in Kaitou Jeanne, both the first and third movement.. on an organ, but well), either love or deep/strong emotions are involved.. But also somewhat of dreaming, longing.

As for your listed games I can't really tell if my reason answers your question as I've never played them.

But there are many other games which feature this kind of music, for example: Clock Tower 3 (PS2) features Chopin's 'Fantaisie Impromptu', and so does -besides many other Chopin songs- Eternal Sonata (PS3/360).