Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Time Traveler's Wife - Novel

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really don't like the book. I'm disappointed reading it, since I expected a lot. It comes out really pretentious to me in the dialogue. I've been trying to trudge through it since I left England and it's just not working for me. The concept of the time traveling is fantastic, but the writing and characters don't do it at all for me. It feels so amateur. It reads a bit like my poorest of writing before I've done editing to make the dialogue feel more natural and less pretentious clever witty banter and it makes me shudder sometimes because every writer is their own worst critic - though that might some presumptuous to compare my writing to a published writer, even if it's a writer I dislike, but I'm really not trying to be. It's just what it reminds me of. XD

I'm downloading the movie, maybe I'll like that better. I love Rachel McAdams passionately.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Can't believe you think TTW is ameteur-ish and pretentious but you love Augusten Burroughs stuff! His writing is like the definition of hipster pretentious!

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be fair, I mostly only love his short stories and Running With Scissors, where he's not taking himself so seriously in his writing. When I read his super srs memoir about his father, I couldn't finish it. XD

I like TTW when she's doing descriptions. She definitely does the time traveling exceptionally well, I'd have a hard time making it fit cohesively. The way she frames out the events is done well. I think it's just the dialogue - it's honestly that bad to me that it makes everything else shrink away.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Awful, awful movie. I couldn't get through it. Haven't read the book, though.

it's not fun, don't do it Moon Rabbits's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Can't believe you think TTW is ameteur-ish and pretentious but you love Augusten Burroughs stuff! His writing is like the definition of hipster pretentious!
    yup.