View Poll Results: Who's gonna run this joint?

Voters
1045. You may not vote on this poll
  • <s>Argentina</s>

8 0.77%
  • <s>Australia</s>

1 0.10%
  • <s>Brazil</s>

2 0.19%
  • <s>Côte d'Ivoire</s>

1 0.10%
  • <s>Japan</s>

0 0%
  • <s>England</s>

6 0.57%
  • <s>Ghana</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Germany</s>

4 0.38%
  • North Korea

1,001 95.79%
  • <s>Slovakia</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Mexico</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Netherlands</s>

6 0.57%
  • <s>New Zealand</s>

3 0.29%
  • <s>Paraguay</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Portugal</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Uruguay</s>

1 0.10%
  • <s>Spain</s>

8 0.77%
  • <s>Chile</s>

0 0%
  • <s>I'm American and I don't understand this sport. Therefore U-S-A! U-S-A!</s>

3 0.29%
  • <s>Obligatory some other team joke option</s>

1 0.10%
Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 12345678910142454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

I have a feeling Capello agrees with you Paul, and since I doubt Barry will be fit for at least the first and probably second games, I would expect a standard 4-4-2:

Johnson Ferdinand Terry Cole
    Lennon Lampard Gerrard J. Cole
    Rooney Crouch

I think Crouch can do well up front, but should he be lacking, then they bring in Heskey and play the way you mention it. The two Mersey boys, Rooney and Gerrard have an obvious bond and they link up well, so maybe that could mitigate the lone striker = sulking Rooney problem also.

There is also a bit of a cause for concern about Glen Johnson... that he can't, defend. Mayhaps, he plays the first half and a la Pro Baseball, gets taken out later in games for a defensive replacement, probably Carragher?

I'm very interested to see how Capello plays his subs too. Since, the D could definitely be in flux at certain points and the strikers aside from Rooney could be on a merry-go-round.

And to get my American thoughts in quickly, they will play as well as their two big players, Donovan and Dempsey take them. If they are both in top form, I do think they could get to the Quarters. If not, they may not escape the group stages. They NEED to score goals.

Take care all.

Take care all.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    That is a fairly decent line up, although to be honest I don't think Rooney can play as a lone striker. He gets isolated and frustrated, and it just leads to bad things (like in the last World Cup vs Portugal). In my opinion, Emile Heskey should always partner him, fighting the good fight against defenders, receiving little reward or credit, to create the space for Rooney. The media go on and on about how Heskey should be dropped because he doesn't score but they're totally missing the point - his job is not to score, his job is to maximise our best player's potential to cause damage. And it's one he does well.
    Rooney can play up front for Manchester United and do a great job. He should be able to do the same for England. And most likely will end up doing something similar in the World Cup (with either Gerrard or Joe Cole behind him).

I agree with you about Heskey. Crouch may be tall, but he's not great at holding up the ball or linking up play. But perhaps Defoe is lucky to be coming. Yes, he is a clinical finisher and an impact player, but him and Bent are similar and Bent scored more goals playing for a worse team. Maybe if Bent had been playing for England earlier...

so we playing fantasy football?
    i will post my team tonight if you guys wana play along

I don't see Defoe playing much unless Rooney gets hurt or they want to rest him. He has pace and can finish but isn't anywhere as good as Rooney and doesn't offer the qualities that Crouch (Height) and Heskey (Physicality) do.

Take care all.

I really think that England can go far in this tournament if they remain a cohesive unit. I'm fully behind them, but I'm afraid of the stronger teams. Engaland is in a relaitvely easy group so I just hope they don't get too complacent in the later stages. And I'm really happy that we have a few of our Spurs boys in the squad!

My girlfriend is from Spain and she's half American, but I'm trying to get her to support England. I really think she will support Spain all the way, and they seem to be the side to beat
    Last edited by Hot Shot; 06-02-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I really want Australia to make it through to group stage to face England. I don't think we have a chance in hell of beating England, but oh the sledging!

I'm not sure who to put my money on at this point. I haven't been able to catch any friendlies nor qualifiers because of various reasons.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Rio Ferdinand injures knee in training. Mass panic in media ensues!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Wayne Rooney breaks nail in training. Mass panic in media ensues!

We're going to be relying on Matthew Upson (as I doubt King can play every game), aren't we? Oh god.

I see nobody fancies the west European powers of France, Germany and Italy. Interesting. Mind you, European teams never win outside of Europe.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It's the South African winter though, and it's usually the heat that hampers European teams in World Cups outside Europe. And looking at those teams Italy seem too old, Germany are consistent at World Cups (a bad World Cup for them is making the last eight) but probably lack the quality to go all the way, and France are just crap.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    France are just crap.
    Careful, you might just end up with me liking you!

Also folks I figured that we get Fantasy Football underway. Here's the link to the official FIFA site:

McDonald's FIFA World Cup Fantasy

League info:
    The EoFF Trophy
    League Code is: (SPOILER)388738-92069

Spoilered 'cause we don't want random freaks joining like last time. But any member here is welcome to join. Even if you don't understand football - just go crazy and pick whoever you think has the funniest names. Just post here letting us know your team name and stuff when you do!

Oh and yes, my team is named Carlton Palmer FC!

Ivory Coast may be in deep trouble too if Drogba really is out for the Cup.

2010 World Cup: Didier Drogba has broken arm - ESPN Soccernet

Ironically, I think Ferdinand being injured is the best thing for England, as it brings Dawson back into the fold, who I feel is a better player then Ferdinand right now. Of course, King will probably get the first start but as has been said, can he play more then once a week?

Also, will this be Steven Gerrard's moment, finally, for England? He's the Captain, almost be default.

EDIT: Added my team, American Cup

Take care all.
    Last edited by The Captain; 06-04-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Update

Articles

Had both Drogba and Mikel in my team. I'm an injury jinxer!

...hmm.

*picks Henry*

I'm selling these fine leather jackets Aerith's Knight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Why is the Netherlands option italianized?

uhhh because that was your poll choice? :rolleyes:

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Had both Drogba and Mikel in my team. I'm an injury jinxer!

...hmm.

*picks Henry*
    ahahah

Oh and I had Robben in mine!

EDIT: Added my team. Buckfast FC! (I know, how original)

Will we mention our teams, or will that give away the element of surprise?

Str8 Pimpin'