View Poll Results: Who's gonna run this joint?

Voters
1045. You may not vote on this poll
  • <s>Argentina</s>

8 0.77%
  • <s>Australia</s>

1 0.10%
  • <s>Brazil</s>

2 0.19%
  • <s>Côte d'Ivoire</s>

1 0.10%
  • <s>Japan</s>

0 0%
  • <s>England</s>

6 0.57%
  • <s>Ghana</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Germany</s>

4 0.38%
  • North Korea

1,001 95.79%
  • <s>Slovakia</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Mexico</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Netherlands</s>

6 0.57%
  • <s>New Zealand</s>

3 0.29%
  • <s>Paraguay</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Portugal</s>

0 0%
  • <s>Uruguay</s>

1 0.10%
  • <s>Spain</s>

8 0.77%
  • <s>Chile</s>

0 0%
  • <s>I'm American and I don't understand this sport. Therefore U-S-A! U-S-A!</s>

3 0.29%
  • <s>Obligatory some other team joke option</s>

1 0.10%
Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314182858 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Thread

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have no idea what is going on, but I am aware that Argentina and Brazil are apparently really good, so I see them winning. It would be cool for a team like Nigeria to win though.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    HOW ABOUT YOU SHOW UP LATE FOR THE GAME LIKE YOU SHOW UP LATE FOR WORLD WARS?
    This part made me laugh more than it ought to have xD

Oh, and now that the poll is fixed, you can consider my joke vote to have been serious and gone to Korea instead of New Zeaalahahahalahalhahand

Yeah, how could you have had Greece there instead of a team like Serbia. Honestly!

But I reckon there are 6/7 teams. Spain has the most ridiculous squad in the World at the moment (when Arteta, who would walk into most national teams, can't make it into the squad, you know your squad is ridiculous), but it comes down to the 11 men on the field, so it doesn't really matter if you have Reina on the bench.

Brazil look solid. Still immensely irritated that Kleberson is there instead of Ronaldinho, and I think that they might miss someone who has that X-factor. Kaka hasn't been great this season (albeit he has had injury problems) and Robinho has been playing in Brazil, so it might end up hurting them.

Germany. It doesn't matter how they play domestically. They're Germany. Podolski just becomes a quality player come tournament time. Klose was 2nd top scorer in '02 and top scorer in '06. And they have a player like Schweinsteiger, who can hurt a team. And they are Germany. They do World Cups.

Holland. Any team that has Robben, van der Waart, Sneidjer and van Persie in the same team is immensely dangerous. van Persie is also fresh and fully fit. The problem I see for them is their defence and the defensive side of their midfield. No name stands out as a quality defender or holding midfielder. But could hopefully make things exciting.

Argentina. Yes, they are coached by a mad man, but he is quite a cool mad man. And, like Holland, any team that has Messi, Tevez, Aguero, Higuain, Millito, di Maria & Rodriguez in a squad, you're going to do well. The formation he played against Nigeria seemed to suit them a lot better and Messi showed some of his Barca form. However, not bringing Cambiasso and Zanetti was idiotic, especially when he brings someone like Martin Palermo, and his lack of midfield options might hurt him. Also, the defence again lacks someone world class (although some people with anger issues are there) and there aren't any full-backs, so there may be a lack of width in their play. So Argentina, who knows!

Portugal. Cristiano Ronaldo. And some other good players like Simao. But they are my dark horses and their entire success basically lies on Ronaldo's shoulders.

And finally, England. Later on in the tournament, Capello will most likely play Rooney alone up front, leaving Gerrard to take that role behind him. That leaves Barry and Lampard to make up the central midfield, which is very solid. Joe Cole on the left aids quality, and Ashley Cole is great adding width going forward as well as solid at the back. King and Terry are solid, as are Hart and James (whoever gets chosen, although I would choose Hart - James makes me nervous). But England's problem lies in 2 areas. The first is the right flank. Aaron Lennon/Shaun Wright-Phillips have this tendency to run down dead-ends and/or provide no end product. Seriously thought that Adam Johnson should have made the squad because he actually has the ability to beat his man and then do something with the ball. And then, dum dum dum, Glen Johnson. If Landon Donovan runs down that flank tonight, be scared. And this is Landon Donovan. Imagine Messi running down that flank. Or Ronaldo. Or Schweinsteger. Or Silva. And then, they don't really have any depth. And if Rooney gets injured, goodbye World Cup.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Argentina look crazy going forward and a little bit vulnerable at the back, especially on their right flank. I expect games with them to be exciting end-to-end contests and well worth watching.
    The first is the right flank. Aaron Lennon/Shaun Wright-Phillips have this tendency to run down dead-ends and/or provide no end product. Seriously thought that Adam Johnson should have made the squad because he actually has the ability to beat his man and then do something with the ball. And then, dum dum dum, Glen Johnson. If Landon Donovan runs down that flank tonight, be scared. And this is Landon Donovan. Imagine Messi running down that flank. Or Ronaldo. Or Schweinsteger. Or Silva. And then, they don't really have any depth. And if Rooney gets injured, goodbye World Cup.
    I think problem 1 is resolved by problem 2. The reason why Glen Johnson is a bad defender is because he is a good attacker and creates lots of attacking opportunities down the right flank. He really should've been a winger rather than a full back. I think against better opposition England should get someone more defensive minded in the right back position, but well, who else is there? Carragher is a good defender but not the most mobile of players, I can see him getting caught short too.

also btw, message to all the filthy yanks: if England lose and anyone who hasn't posted in this thread before shows up gloating, I will be taking out my rage on you by renaming you after 90's footballers. Just a warning so you can't complain when it happens.

I'm not saying there's someone better than Glen Johnson defensively (perhaps Gary Neville, but I'm an United fan, so huge bias); it's just that there isn't a world class right back there at all. And yeah, Johnson can get forward, but he can't play right-wing otherwise there will be acres of space behind him when a team counters. You can't rely on him covering up Lennon/Wright-Phillips weaknesses.

And problem two is the lack of depth. If Gerrard gets injured, then who will replace him? If Cole gets injured, then who will replace him? And most importantly, if Rooney gets injured, then what? Whereas a team like Spain has a player like Villa gets injured, just tweak the system, play Villa up front and add Fabregas to the midfield (as happened in Euro 2008).

Spain does have the most complete squad at this World Cup without a shadow of a doubt. But, as I said, it comes down to the 11 (or 14 men technically with substitutes) who are on the field. And the USA showed us last year that they can be beaten.

EDIT: Wait, Spain have one weakness. The lack of Senna. Busquets is decent, but why they called-up that Bilbao dude in front of him, I don't understand. Sometimes you need that steel that Senna gives you.
    Last edited by champagne supernova; 06-12-2010 at 05:59 PM.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

STILL BETTER THAN USA THOUGH smurf YOU YOU CHEESEBURGER EATING FATTY REDNECK YANKS. HOW ABOUT YOU SHOW UP LATE FOR THE GAME LIKE YOU SHOW UP LATE FOR WORLD WARS?
    Your ambassador did it better.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Im in two minds about the game, because really i dont want to give england OR the yanks anything to gloat about. Officially i'll be for england as i live here, but ill pretend to be for the US when i watch the game

Now your left flank is messed up too. Reckon it'll go into half-time a goalless draw, then maybe Capello will make some cool substitutes and England might pull it out the bag.

But seriously, wtf? Milner.

I think I had better post this now to prevent the deluge of "heh soccer sux " posts from dirty Americans tomorrow.

England are a very boring team. The USA are a very boring team. Therefore England v USA will be a very very boring game. Probably not as boring as the most exciting baseball game you've ever seen, but still pretty damn boring.

etc

etc

etc
    idk what you're talking about, everyone I know is completely pumped for it, like they've been talking about it, arguing and making bets since the matchup was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    also btw, message to all the filthy yanks: if England lose and anyone who hasn't posted in this thread before shows up gloating, I will be taking out my rage on you by renaming you after 90's footballers. Just a warning so you can't complain when it happens.
    jesus you really feel the need to cover all the bases here. you really have to preempt everything don't you. you must be PRETTY insecure about yourself friend. I will surely come into thread and gloat if we win and will accept whatever butthurt lashback you decide to dole out. though I would not place money on us in this match, not by any means.

There is no reason England should lose. England outskills the US at every position except keeper.

Sic 'em, Yanks.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic
    jesus you really feel the need to cover all the bases here. you really have to preempt everything don't you. you must be PRETTY insecure about yourself friend. I will surely come into thread and gloat if we win and will accept whatever butthurt lashback you decide to dole out. though I would not place money on us in this match, not by any means.
    It's ok, anyone who comes in to gloat about England's victory will have their name changed to US Revolutionary War heroes.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I approve of that plan.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Greece and ITV are terrible at being a football team and covering football respectively.
    South Korea look decent, and whoever finishes second in Group B (I'll assume that Argentina will top the group) might have a chance of making the QFs as Group A's teams hardly exceptional.
    Argentina were sublime at times (Nigeria's goalie had to keep his team in it single-handed at times), but a few moments of fragility. Maradona is a hilarious presence on the touchline.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Not coming back. BarelySeeAtAll's Avatar

One goal already within four minutes?

I am not a man

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Which ITV HD missed as they cut to an ad break just beforehand - whoops!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"