Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I downloaded FF IV: The After Years today

Quote Originally Posted by Evastio View Post
    I was wondering, how does the final chapter work if you didn't play all of the tales? I heard that any new characters that you get in the specific tales won't show up at all in the Final Chapter. So characters like Harley, Leonora, the Eblan Four, etc. won't be available for you to use on your team. Will Golbez and Luca still be available without playing the other tales? Are you unable to switch out characters for the final dungeon without playing the other tales? That's the impression I was under, trying to figure it out in YouTube videos.
    If you didn't play the other tales, your characters will start off at a certain default level with weak equipment and characters like the Eblan Four, Ursula, etc won't be available to play with at all. Golbez and Luca will still be available though and so will switching out party members, but like I said, default levels and weak equipment.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Because I'm crazy I maxed out (level 99) more than half of my full party. But then I got bored.

Anyway, this is a fantastic game. I wish they'd made a third, but only in the far distant future so that ALL of the characters are considered myths or something. Or a prequel to FFIV about FoSoYa and Kluya or something. I just want MORE FFIV!

So nearly a year after the final chapter was released, you still have to buy each chapter separately? That's pretty lame. I'm not sure if I want to spend almost $40 on what amounts to game from 3 console generations ago.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by beema View Post
    So nearly a year after the final chapter was released, you still have to buy each chapter separately? That's pretty lame. I'm not sure if I want to spend almost $40 on what amounts to game from 3 console generations ago.
    I don't understand that logic. A good game is a good game. That's like saying you'd rather not buy a painting because it's not as realistic as a photograph. They're different mediums. This is intentionally retro.

And, frankly, it is a much better game than any current generation (or previous generation) RPG, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastian View Post
    I don't understand that logic. A good game is a good game. That's like saying you'd rather not buy a painting because it's not as realistic as a photograph. They're different mediums. This is intentionally retro.

And, frankly, it is a much better game than any current generation (or previous generation) RPG, in my opinion.
    yes a good game is a good game, but $40 is too much for a retro, year-old wiiware title, imo.

I don't have a lot of money to spend, so I always try to find the best deals on games. To me, this is a sucky deal, even if it is a good game. Especially when there are tons of other games I want to play which I can get for less (Chrono Cross for $15, for example).

Price aside, it's still lame that they haven't just packaged all the chapters together as one game by now. I was really hoping they had.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I played this game from start to finish over the course of a few days. Lately, I find myself playing games a lot more slowly, but that was not the case with this game. It certainly earned its $40.00 thanks to its retro, lengthy style.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

I personally completely disagree, as I find quite a few current gen and last gen RPGs to be way more enjoyable than the After Years.

I did skip Yangs chapter since I didn't want to go buy 1000 Wii points all over again just for 1 chapter, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss out on the game's most exciting and groundbreaking moments because of that. If I did though, shame on me.

Anyhow... while I did enjoy the After Years, I have to say there are certainly RPGs that were more worth the money (in my opinion, mind you). So I agree with beema that the overall price for this title is a bit too high.

Question

Hi guys... sorry if the question I'm going to make is already made here in the forums or if it is already answered too... I haven't read a thing about After Years because I'm SO afraid of finding an spoiler in the less unexpected place... I'm really afraid of spoilers... really... FFIV is one of my favorites (as you can imagine because of my whole life nickname xd), so The After Years is so important to me that reading an spoiler would be deathly D: ...

I got the game since a few days ago. I already played Ceodore (the first one), Rydia, Palom, Porom, Edward, Edge, and Yang tales. So, 7 in total. In my tales list I have 2 more left. The lunarians or something (with Fusoya sprite) and another one called The Crystals, which I guess is the final one. But I'm not sure if I got all the stories... Is there a Kain's tale? I don't have Kain sprite in my list ...is there another one more out there? or do I have them all?
    I know I'm asking something so basic and stupid, I know I should navigate a little to know the answer to this, or read it in wikipedia or something... but as I said, I'm afraid of spoilers SO MUCH that I haven't read a thing about the game since its release. So I hope you guys understand me... >.<

I was going to ask about the import and saves thing too, but Crossblades already did it and thank you guys for the replies. I have things a little more clear now. But I still think I'm maybe missing tales.

Another thing, can I choose which saves I want to import in the final tale?
    I mean, if I have 2 or more different saves from the same tale (with different levels and items) will I have the chance to choose the best one or should I delete the ones I won't want to use in the final chapter before the importing time? (I use to make a lot of saves )

Thanks for the replies =) ...
    Kuja, Please, Rest In Peace...
    Dissidia Killed You
    Yeah... the whole game...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

The Wikipedia page for Final Fantasy IV: The After Years addresses this. The first chapter of the game is actually several stories:

1 Prologue: Return of the Moon
    Joshō "Tsuki no Kikan" (序章 『月の帰還』?)

2 Ceodore's Tale: The Last of the Red Wings
    Seodoa Hen "Saigo no Akaki Tsubasa" (セオドア編 『最後の赤き翼』?)

3 Kain's Tale: Return of the Dragoon
    Cain's Tale: Return of the Dragon Knight
    Kain Hen "Ryūkishi no Kikan" (カイン編 『竜騎士の帰還』?)

The last chapter is kind of ridiculously hard. Much grinding required there. Nice to see that particular throwback, I guess? Final Fantasy IV also got unreasonably difficult (and not that fun) once it hit the moon.

WiiWare games don't drop in price. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I really disagree that $40 is too much for this game. FF13 new was ten more dollars. It all comes down to preference, though. I definitely much prefer this game to FF13. For me, it was money well worth the spending.

That it is retro has zilch to do with the price.

Or maybe I just feel that way because I actually prefer the retro style to that of current gen (for instance, I'm much more looking forward to Final Fantasy Legends than I am FF14).

As for each chapter being released separately, I think that is because they want to allow you to choose which chapters you want to download. You don't have to purchase them all to get a decent understanding of the story. Really, you could just purchase the main chapter and the final chapter and it would still make sense. And be much less expensive.

The game was conceived as a chapter game because Tokita wanted people to experience the anticipation of waiting for the next chapter bit by bit like in a manga or tv series. I suppose it would make sense now that they're all release to just bundle them together, but that sort of goes against the original intent.

As for being able to get other games for less: yes, that's true, you can find used games for less. But this game can't be found "used" since no physical copies of it exist. Besides, buying used games is almost as bad as torrenting them: none of your money goes back to Square, so they have no idea how many people have actually purchased/played the game. But that's a discussion for another time. The point here is that yes, you can find other games used for less money. You can also find other games used for MORE money. Trying to find a copy of Dragon Warrior VII at it's original price or less is impossible; you can only find used copies for MORE than it originally cost.

As for each chapter being released separately, I think that is because they want to allow you to choose which chapters you want to download. You don't have to purchase them all to get a decent understanding of the story. Really, you could just purchase the main chapter and the final chapter and it would still make sense. And be much less expensive.

The game was conceived as a chapter game because Tokita wanted people to experience the anticipation of waiting for the next chapter bit by bit like in a manga or tv series. I suppose it would make sense now that they're all release to just bundle them together, but that sort of goes against the original intent.
    I think it's adorable that you believe this.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

The monthly model of manga and comic books works well because consumers will pay for the item month to month at a higher price than usual.

I believe that the selling model of Final Fantasy IV: The After Years as a mobile phone game was designed to capitalize on this same type of comic book model as a business decision rather than as a creative decision due to its dated style of graphics and gameplay. It is much easier to turn a profit when the actual price of all of the chapters combined is $40.00 USD than if the game had sold as a bundle package at $19.99 USD like other WiiWare titles.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Roto13 View Post

I think it's adorable that you believe this.
    But... but... that's what Tokita said in an interview.

But your doubt and Roogle's explanation make a lot more (cynical) sense.

I've actually been playing this again a little bit for the past few days. Man, those random battles are brutal. I mean, random battles are inherently bad, but they're worse when they're every two or three steps. Annoying.