Thread: Espers

Default Espers

Does anyone feel that the Espers in this game felt, I dunno, tacked on? As well being near-useless in battle, they had hardly anything to do with the plot. I liked how they went back to the FF6/FF9 style of them being magical creature/god/angel/things, but they didn't fit very well with the overall plot of 'Saving Dalmasca' ('cause face it, the Occuria/Nethicite storyline was horribly underutilized and didn't mesh very well). Then again, it may be part of the overall problem regarding the magical elements feeling out of place, IMHO.

So, Espers in XII, yay or nay?

Default I agree...

espers were useless in this game.I never bothered to use them once I had them after I saw how useless they were..
    They were tough fighting you but were pushovers when you tried to use them against enemies.Even a dive talon could beat an esper.I saw it happen.

I believe sincerely that had Matusno not had his breakdown and run off that he would have completed the game and prevented the deficiencies that we experienced playing it.Sadly that didn't occue and we were left with an unfinished product deficient in many ways..the espers just being one of them.
    Last edited by ANGRYWOLF; 05-16-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Yea, they weren't that great. That one opened that big door and that was it. They made pretty fun boss fights though, since they almost always ban something.

Fortune Teller Recognized Member Roogle's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Roose Dorvauldar (Gilgamesh)
    Contributions
    • Former Administator
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The only time I used an Esper in the entire game was to open the door that Vermachtnis referenced. Honestly, I never even attempted to try them out because of the poor reaction to them that other people had.
    I believe in the power of humanity.

Blog Entries

I had an easy enough time with the battles that I never even needed an esper. Strategy-wise, there was really no point to them. Plus, they were strange characters, and I really had no attachment to them at all, whereas a Shiva and Ifrit I just like using for reasons being they're a FF battle motif.

I think that yes the Espers were severly underused/badly conceived in this game. I would have actually preferred it if the whole "political intrigue" and empire stuff had been thrown out the window and instead the game had been about the espers/gods/occuria/crystals thing. That to me would have been interesting and would have worked properly in a mmorg style huge "FANTASY" rpg.
    Silverjunky

Yeah, they were pretty useless, but I would always use them just for fun on regular enemies and for quick leveling(since I designated one of my characters to be a Summoner)
    Last edited by Crossblades; 09-20-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Vaan - "Hey, you!"
    Penelo - "Yeah, you! The one reading this sig at this very moment!"
    Vaan - "Interested in playing FFXII International Zodiac Job system?"
    Ashe - "But you have no knowledge of the Japanese language?"
    Fran - "....We could help...."
    Balthier - "That's right, Fran! Just click on Crossblades' thread on the very bottom of this signature and it will show you all license grid translations, magicks and tecks locations, and other changes that were made!"
    Basch - "Don't forget though. Swap Magic is needed to play this game if you don't own a japanese PS2."
    Vaan - "Also remember that if you played the original, you'll have an easier time playing the international version. We hope you enjoy the International Zodiac Job System experience. See ya then!"

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fan...ther-info.html

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

Ashe was the only character that learned how to summon the Espers in my game. As I mentioned earlier, I cared little for them in gameplay, but, for the storyline, the Espers were in a pact with Ashe, correct?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by silverjunky View Post
    I think that yes the Espers were severly underused/badly conceived in this game. I would have actually preferred it if the whole "political intrigue" and empire stuff had been thrown out the window and instead the game had been about the espers/gods/occuria/crystals thing. That to me would have been interesting and would have worked properly in a mmorg style huge "FANTASY" rpg.
    Espers were mostly useless and it would have been nice for them to be more effective in battle, but I strongly disagree with this. The plot had some very bad pacing and other development issues, but the "political intrigue" was a type of plot that should be encouraged. If only more FFs had such a complex, mature basis for a plot instead of the tired old "evil force out to destroy the world."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Administator

I believe that the game would benefit the most from the storyline focusing more heavily on either of the aspects of the world.

The world of Ivalice has a deep, mystical mythos about it, but the political landscape is a good backdrop for a story, too. There can be a problem when the game tries to focus on both. Pacing can become a big problem.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I tried them out a seldomly. When I got a new one I mainly just used them to see their ultimate attack. Those things were pretty useless. Being defeated by regular enemies. I didn't even try to attempt making one of my characters a summon class on my third playthrough. I don't know how awful that would've been. The game should've been more structured for making classes overall. I heard Japan got that version, but we didn't. I would have gladly paid for the game again if it meant better gameplay. I love class systems.