Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Final Fantasy XIII director speaks out against lower-than-expected review scores.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

When SE decided to 'give the fans what they want' we got the FFVII compilation, which even the majority of FFVII fans weren't overly impressed with. In general players are like children, if you just give them everything they claim to want the results don't end well.

Nuh uh! FF7 was ok i just personally don't really see how lots of people see it as the best, oh well, i guess you're right though.

@Rase
    i see your point, but we've let the developers decided for a while now, and in my own personal opinion, the newer games are lacking in all RPG departments, i think it'd be a good idea just for them to see what made the older games what they were, at least that. Also when has SE being orginal :D Typical characters, typical vilians, meh.

I AM NOT A PRETTY BOY! Shin Gouken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHeart View Post
    Nuh uh! FF7 was ok i just personally don't really see how lots of people see it as the best, oh well, i guess you're right though.

@Rase
    i see your point, but we've let the developers decided for a while now, and in my own personal opinion, the newer games are lacking in all RPG departments, i think it'd be a good idea just for them to see what made the older games what they were, at least that. Also when has SE being orginal Typical characters, typical vilians, meh.
    It wouldn't surprise me if FFXIII was a direct result of all the negetive critisism FFXII got, seeing as the two are 100% complete opposites in every single way. Which would mean that SE have been listening to the fans. From what i can see (and the topic this thread is in relation to proves this point very well) SE are just awful at taking critisism, which as far as i can tell is the dominating factor in how the next FF will look. Fans wanted the return to a medieval setting with more classic FF elements and they got FFIX, fans complained at the lack of story and character develpment and the extreme level of exploration in XII, and we got FFXIII. SE should just stop listening to the fans and get back to what they're good at instead of trying to please everyone.

Default not convinced they listened to anybody...

I think it was a combination of laziness, arrogance, incompetence and technical challenges they didn't try very hard to solve.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Gouken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHeart View Post

@Rase
    i see your point, but we've let the developers decided for a while now, and in my own personal opinion, the newer games are lacking in all RPG departments, i think it'd be a good idea just for them to see what made the older games what they were, at least that. Also when has SE being orginal Typical characters, typical vilians, meh.
    It wouldn't surprise me if FFXIII was a direct result of all the negetive critisism FFXII got, seeing as the two are 100% complete opposites in every single way. Which would mean that SE have been listening to the fans. From what i can see (and the topic this thread is in relation to proves this point very well) SE are just awful at taking critisism, which as far as i can tell is the dominating factor in how the next FF will look. Fans wanted the return to a medieval setting with more classic FF elements and they got FFIX, fans complained at the lack of story and character develpment and the extreme level of exploration in XII, and we got FFXIII. SE should just stop listening to the fans and get back to what they're good at instead of trying to please everyone.
    I don't know if they necessarily should stop listening to fans. They just need to stop trying to give everyone what they want, or they at least need to do better at being critical with the criticism directed at them. What I mean is, with the recent FF series, SE have this tendency of going to extremes trying to please clamoring fans. Games can be less open than XII, but they don't need to be as restrictive as XIII either. In other words, don't ask SE to turn the heat up when you feel a chill, because they'll pull a flame thrower on your ass.

I agree with the folks from both sides of the river. Lets consider what we'd have our hands on barring the "Final Fantasy" title: a somewhat generic yet wittingly innovative game title that holds a "pizzazz" in its own right. Only once I accepted its true fate as an integrated title was I able to enjoy playing it for what it was, not for what I wanted it to be. Standing alone the game possesses beautifully rendered characters with a sleek production value. Although what game producers have yet to understand is: graphics do not make a game!!! Look back at FFVII now! Regardless of how awkward it appears I will stake a bet that most of you welled up when Aerith was floored faster than Pam Anderson at a Motley concert (c'mon admit it!). Its something buried within the Final Fantasy feel that is all to real yet remains intangible. This Fantasy Flavor has little to do with the countenanced confusion over how much to guilt the ever-present desire to show Vanille your throbbing semen elevator. Maybe one of these days we can get Square and Bioware to have little video game babies. No matter the changes that come following our fanboy fury let's all hope that we still have more Final Fantasies to look forward to-even if they are polished turds.