Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many games, too little time

Default Too many games, too little time

Dear children and elders,

I come to you with a maddening query.

I sit upon a mountain of games, each with more hours of gameplay than you can shake a proverbial stick at.

Yet, I cannot decide between them. I waver, eternally, over the power buttons of my myriad consoles.

So, if you can, help me decide!

I have :

Odin Sphere
    Shin Megami Tensei III : Lucifer's Call

Tales of Vesperia
    Lost Odyssey
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Eternal Sonata

Deus Ex : Invisible War
    KOTOR
    KOTOR 2
    Dragon Age
    Borderlands
    The Witcher : Enhanced Edition

I realise now, that perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned FFXIII as there could be potential bias from where I posted it. But, I trust that you'll be sensible in that respect.

Blog Entries

First off, Final Fantasy XIII. Play frisbee with it until bored.

Next up, Lost Odyssey. :3

Does Lost Odyssey culminate in deicide?

I've had a tendency lately to kill gods in games, lots of gods. Started with Infinite Undiscovery and peaked recently with killing the source of all Gods in the Digital Devil Saga duology.

Well FFXIII is quite possibly the worst game out of the ones listed so you can avoid that for starters. You wouldnt do too bad playing Deus Ex Invisible War. Not up to the quality of the original but still a good game in its own right.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dragon Age. Then both KOTORs. DXIW is worth a play, it's still a good game, people just bitch because DX was so damn sublime that "good" looks like "steaming turd" next to it.

I didn't like Borderlands one bit. But that's just me.

I'd say KOTOR 1 and 2, the Witcher, and then Dragon Age. That should keep you going for months and months.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I'm in a similar boat, so I can only be of so much help.

I often find myself in this situation, I usually just play an hour or so of each and see which grabs my attention the most.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Out of the games on that list I'll say Odin Sphere. Despite the slow down it's the best game on that list if you ask me. After that I'd go with either Deus Ex: Invisible War, Shin Megami Tensei or Lost Odyssey from what I've heard of them (I haven't played any of them yet). I'll second Kentarou's recommendation of FFXIII frisbee and say that I hated KOTOR. The gameplay wasn't very interesting and the story was horribly predictable and cliche as far as I'm concerned.

Lost Odyssey is worth playing if only for the Thousand Years of Dreams; these are basically short stories that you can read when Kaim encounters things that stir his memory. Some of them are just brilliantly written and the music can be a perfect accompaniment. Apart from that, the game was fairly forgettable in my opinion.

FFXIII to be contrarian.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

I should probably add that I've played every game on the list, bar ToV and The Witcher, at least a little. I was up to the second, maybe third disc on Lost Odyssey when I stopped. I think I'd just gotten the immortal queen after beating up the annoying douchey army guy in the tank.

The Thousand Years of Dreams are nice, until I realised that all of them are basically "Hello, Kaim is immortal, by meeting people and experiencing their loss he realises that it's better to be mortal and short-lived because you value life infinitely more. But Kaim will never truly understand or experience that because he will live forever. You may now cry."

They are faultlessly written and quite beautiful, but they're all basically the same.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I vote MegaTen. When on the topic of deity-cide (SPOILER)going through the True Demon path, Lucifer was training you to raise an army to fight God.

Strawberry Virus Recognized Member Marshall Banana's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Site Design
    • Forum Design

ichigo

Odin Sphere has amazing final bosses. You should play it through to the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
    I should probably add that I've played every game on the list, bar ToV and The Witcher, at least a little. I was up to the second, maybe third disc on Lost Odyssey when I stopped. I think I'd just gotten the immortal queen after beating up the annoying douchey army guy in the tank.

The Thousand Years of Dreams are nice, until I realised that all of them are basically "Hello, Kaim is immortal, by meeting people and experiencing their loss he realises that it's better to be mortal and short-lived because you value life infinitely more. But Kaim will never truly understand or experience that because he will live forever. You may now cry."

They are faultlessly written and quite beautiful, but they're all basically the same.
    I agree. Every story did carry the same message, and the very first one you get to read is arguably the best of the lot. And first time I played I stopped at the exact same place you did, I finally picked it back up a few months ago and managed to finish it. You still have a long way to go if you ever feel like playing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vermachtnis View Post
    I vote MegaTen. When on the topic of deity-cide (SPOILER)going through the True Demon path, Lucifer was training you to raise an army to fight God.
    Yeah, I already know how SMTIII turns out. I never thought I'd get a copy, so I'd read up on the story and all beforehand.

All of the games are basically a big middle finger to YHVH/God.