Thread: Alan Wake

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default Alan Wake

So, has anyone go it? What's it like? It's possibly one of the only games I'm interested that comes out before September... after which about 3-5 games I want are all due. x_x
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This game was one of the big reasons I got a 360. xD I'm not getting it just yet though, I can only afford one game currently and it's going to be RDR. I do hear good things though.

I've been playing it on and off since it came out. It does tend to get very repetitive, mainly that you run through the forest shining lights on bad guys, catch your breath under a lamp post or 'safe haven' and then repeat the process. It's fun, but like I said, repetitive. And although I don't tend to play games for their visuals, the graphics are quite spectacular. It's just too bad most of the game takes place at night where you can't really appreciate them as much.

I'm only at "Episode 3", as it would say, but so far it's been alright. Jings is right when he says it's a bunch of trees and a flashlight, though. I mostly just run through nature and occasionally shine things for a few seconds. I also highly suggest you pick Hard and not Normal. I feel like I'm playing on Very Easy. The checkpoints are so close together even if I did die it'd hardly matter, I have copious amounts of supplies for the section I am playing, and with everything regenerating itself I'm not in trouble. Once I mastered the dodge maneuver, I'm basically an immortal Terminator. Yeah, yeah, I should have restarted for a harder difficulty, but I'm too lazy to go back now.

The story is intriguing enough that I want to see it through to the end. I'd say that's very, very important to a game like this. They also do thrust you into parts that make you feel the game mechanics are a little more exciting every now and then.

As for is it scary? No, not at all.

I like how the words "Downloadable Content" are right on the main menu, hahaha. At least they don't try to hide the fact they're going to pimp this game. xD
    Last edited by LunarWeaver; 05-21-2010 at 05:26 PM.

I've been excited for this game for a long time but reviews (both by sites and persons) have been lackluster. As the game got closer I started to suspect this would be the case. I'm interested because moody, atmospheric, scary things are of huge appeal to my wife, but I get the strong impression that this is nowhere near a 60 dollar game.

I'll give it some time.

Incidentally, how it is this was the only thing coming up recently you're interested in? RDR, MG2, 3DDGH, MNR. This month seems to have been an embarrassment of riches, though different strokes and all that.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

The previews they play at Gamestop stores make it look pretty awesome but I have my doubts. I probably won't wind up playing it.

I am officially bored of this game, I'm afraid to report. The combat just cannot sustain it for me and I am tired of running through a forest in the dark. Trees are like 90% of this game. I'll probably send it back (I use Gamefly) before I finish it. I pretty much don't care about it plot-wise anymore either.

I dislike many games others like, though. I wouldn't take my word for it, but it being repetitive is a fact, not an opinion. Just saying.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

The gamespot guys told me that it's a rentable today. Not to buy it. So we bought red dead instead