Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Mario Galaxy 2

It feels identical to Mario Galaxy, which is a good thing. Great game, will be lots of fun to play when I have time off. I've only gotten 3 stars so far.

As for the "Map" making it too linear... it works the same way. A certain amount of stars "opens" another planet... aka lets you travel to it along the road. So no you don't have to do it in order if you don't want to. You can get all the stars in one world, skip the next, and do the following etc.

As for carrying over powerups and such, completely not in any 3-D Mario, and would not work for any of the 3-D Mario games. The point of most of the levels is finding the items to get the Star. If you started the stage with the item it would completely break the game.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Totally getting this game. About time they made a second Mario platform game for a Nintendo console, and this was a great one to do it on. I am excited about the new features and added difficulty.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ljkkjlcm9 View Post
    It feels identical to Mario Galaxy, which is a good thing. Great game, will be lots of fun to play when I have time off. I've only gotten 3 stars so far.

As for the "Map" making it too linear... it works the same way. A certain amount of stars "opens" another planet... aka lets you travel to it along the road. So no you don't have to do it in order if you don't want to. You can get all the stars in one world, skip the next, and do the following etc.

As for carrying over powerups and such, completely not in any 3-D Mario, and would not work for any of the 3-D Mario games. The point of most of the levels is finding the items to get the Star. If you started the stage with the item it would completely break the game.

THE JACKAL
    Fireballs and stars breaks games. I thought it could only make more fun and see things in different perspectives. People can still have the option to not use it if they didn't want to just like the others. Man with 1 that bugged me so much not being able to go back to stage 2 and just blast those goombas or bugs with a fireball. Or just tripping out and use a star to annhilate anything in my path. It might've made boss fights ridiculously and hilariously short. Also the black and red flying mario didn't seem to have any purpose in the first game. You had that test pilot level and it didn't show again outside of your HUB. It would've been cool to use it to transverse over the old levels and see how you could use it in the level. Of course it wouldn't be any help in underwater levels, but it'll still be mad fun anyhow.

And I would love it if beating the game unlocked a gallery of hentai Peach photos. But they can't cater to everyone's specific and random desires.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

how is that random, now you're just trolling. You know that you're request would be impossible and night not be even true just using it to be opposing. Mine exists in the realm of reality.

His particular argument might be a really valid point and i'm impressed by your thinking., but the analogy he's making holds true. Not all things that please all people can be included. Some people can't be happy. Either there's something they wanted that's not included or something is included that they dislike and wish was removed.

As to the specifics of the item carry-over issue, I'm sure this was a proactive design choice. Since SMB3 has been mentioned, think about the use of the P-wing and how it could completely negate any challenge in many levels.

Beyond removing the designed challenges of levels, use of items that aren't intended can make you more aware of things like invisible walls. Your trading one artificial limitations for another. I would argue that running into an invisible wall is more bothersome than having limited item selection.

Another specific problem with a game like SMG1/2 is that unlike a game like NSMBW (where all levels are essentially the same side scrolling 2D style) there are a variety of level types where bringing in certain power-ups literally wouldn't work at all in the differing framework.

Now for the sake of looking at both sides, I suppose it's possible they could have added a feature where you could get some item carry-over after beating the game just for playing in an absolutely broken way, because I agree, sometimes that can be fun even if it destroys the challenge.

This game is definitely harder than the first one, some of the Prankster Comets are genuinely difficult. It's gr8

I have too much to play already, and regardless my Wii is in for cleaning to make sure there is no smoke/soot damage from a fire where I was staying.

I want to play though.
    Boy am I an unfunny ass.

My wife and I finally got a chance to play it last night even though it's been sitting on the shelf (RDR and all). It's fantastic as was the first. The biggest difference so far has been the slightly expanded P2 controls which are fantastic.

I seem to get the feeling that most people aren't playing this game co-op, which is sad. I'm glad to hear it's harder which will make the P2 help less overpowered (which may be averaged out by expanded function). Have local co-op games gone the way of the dodo because companies want to sell more copies or do people honestly not want to play them any more?

There are people getting together to play a handful of games like RB and SFIV, but as the number of gamers goes up, it seems that the number of games that support local co-op (where it is logical to do so) is decreasing. Online co-op? Sure. Hell if you have a PS3/360 title without online it will get docked several points out of the gate for not having co-op almost regardless of the genre. But local co-op seems largely dead.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Yeargdribble View Post
    Hell if you have a PS3/360 title without online it will get docked several points out of the gate for not having co-op almost regardless of the genre. But local co-op seems largely dead.
    I've rarely seen that. In fact, given the sheer number of games that don't have co-op of any kind I can't see why reviews would dock points in most cases.

Frankly, I think part of the reason we don't see more co-op is because it's just really hard to implement properly whether online or off and many genres don't support it very well. Taking the FPS genre as an example, I've never played a co-op FPS I can think of (not that there are many) that wasn't pretty unbalanced because they never bothered to re-balance the co-op mode specifically. There are ways to do it in some genres but it is a lot more work to get it right.

As for why we don't see more local co-op, I could think of two reasons that strike me as probable. The first is an issue of hardware power. Taking Uncharted 2 for instance, there's absolutely no doubt that it pushes the hardware very hard, but if it were to have split screen co-op it will make more work for the PS3 by requiring the system to render two completely different scenes simultaneously. I'm sure it wouldn't scale to require twice the hardware power, but I'd be surprised if they could keep the quality up without putting in a lot of extra work to optimize, assuming it's possible at all. It's not likely to happen for a feature that isn't a main draw of the game and most companies won't release it if it looks or runs worse. The other reason is that online co-op is easier in just about every way. No hardware hurdles to get over and it can use and build off of existing network code. I'd guess it's much easier to implement at a quality comparable to the single player and regular multiplayer.

That's all my speculation on it anyway. As far as how I feel about local co-op, it's nice if it's there and implemented well, but I hate any implementation requiring split screen, and online is far more convenient than waiting to schedule a time to have a friend or two over.

Anyway, back on track: my sister said she's getting Mario Galaxy 2 soon so I guess I will get to play it. I don't expect much though, and doubt I'll ever buy it since I hated both Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy (on top of almost every Nintendo game made in the last two console generations). It does give me hope to hear the they upped the difficulty though.

Zachie Chan Recognized Member Ouch!'s Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Swygwyrd Eryistyrmstn (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Hosted Screenname Competitions

Brilliant game. Currently in near the beginning of world four, sitting on 60 stars. I only play when my girlfriend is around to watch, and it drives her insane about how I won't progress until I have every star available.

Some of the prankster comets have been a bit obnoxious, but nothing particularly difficult yet.

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

After I finish Dragon Age my next monthly purchase will definitely be this. The only problem is finding someone generous enough to lend me a Wii until I've gotten all 120 stars.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

My review:

Super Mario Galaxy 2 – Video Game Review | Primary Ignition

Needless to say, I loved the game.