View Poll Results: FMV sequences or user-defined changes?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gimme good quality video sequences! I want it to play out like a really good book!

4 18.18%
  • Gimme more options! Better replay value that way!

18 81.82%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FMV vs. Diversity

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

What other sounds? Unless you mean during battle, there shouldn't be that many. And even then, battle music should still be somewhat obvious (and for me, it has been, to be fair). But on field map music etc. music should easily be recognisable.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I too think footsteps could have been toned down in many cases. Also, why can't we set our music, speech and sound effects volumes ourselves? Other games let us.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I was kind of depressed that a whole slew of customization options didn't become standard as the industry developed. I don't see any excuse for a game no not allow you to completely re-map it's control scheme or adjust the volume level of effects/music ect. That should be industry standard.

I used to waste so much time customizing the window colors in earlier FF titles, where the hell did that go? It probably would have added more re playability than anything else in FF13.

Blog Entries

Oh, man, could I go without voice acting. It's never really added anything to the game for me, and in a sadly cynical way I usually fail to even give it much thought unless it's bad. I liked imagining the character's voice based off their personalities and appearance.

Also, the footsteps in FFVIII drove me crazy. Sometimes it added an air of creepiness to the setting, but for the most part they drove me crazy.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    What other sounds? Unless you mean during battle, there shouldn't be that many. And even then, battle music should still be somewhat obvious (and for me, it has been, to be fair). But on field map music etc. music should easily be recognisable.
    What do you mean there shouldn't be many? If there's anything that's really happening on screen there should generally be sound associated with it. Less so in RPG's because they tend to be fairly static (not a lot of movement and things happening around you), but they're also the type of games where the music tends to stand out more.

That said, most RPG soundtracks I've heard in a while tend to be mediocre at best so even if it stands out it ends up not being memorable.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    What do you mean there shouldn't be many? If there's anything that's really happening on screen there should generally be sound associated with it. Less so in RPG's because they tend to be fairly static (not a lot of movement and things happening around you), but they're also the type of games where the music tends to stand out more.

That said, most RPG soundtracks I've heard in a while tend to be mediocre at best so even if it stands out it ends up not being memorable.
    Well, if you look at the likes of VII, VIII and IX, it's certainly possible for a game to have it's music stand out whilst still allowing for the sounds of those things happening here and there. As I said, what sounds, specifically? Aside from footstep sounds I am honestly struggling to remember many other sounds that there were in FF games until very, very recently. And even then, it's still mostly just voice acting and footsteps, surely?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

To be fair, FMV/pre-rendered cut-scenes tend to decrease loading times compare to real-time cut-scenes, I like Kingdom hearts birth by sleep but this game has a lot of loading times because everything in real-time, I've never had to do the data install, until BBS

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
    To be fair, FMV/pre-rendered cut-scenes tend to decrease loading times compare to real-time cut-scenes, I like Kingdom hearts birth by sleep but this game has a lot of loading times because everything in real-time, I've never had to do the data install, until BBS :eep:
    True story. In fact, many cutscenes that look like they're realtime in FF13, are in fact prerendered but with the same engine that's used ingame. In addition to having lower loading times, different ingame data can be loaded while the video is playing. Furthermore, you can have "more stuff" in the scene without slowing down the cutscene.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?